Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series vs Tesla Model 3

02-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #287
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

I knew this place would be jumping with the latest CR removal of recommendation. Don't forget BMW 5 series was also removed. It's ironic considering above user name.

What happened to Model 3 rated by Consumer Report with the highest satisfaction. Since Model 3 is now only rated "average" for reliability due to such minor none-issues, I wonder what kind of "satisfaction" it would get when reliability improves.

Regarding interior material quality. Model 3 is better than any F3X which has hard plastic everywhere. It won't wow you with the typical German "silver metal trim" but material is excellent. The design "looks" spartan but feels premium.
      02-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #288
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
I knew this place would be jumping with the latest CR removal of recommendation. Don't forget BMW 5 series was also removed. It's ironic considering above user name.

What happened to Model 3 rated by Consumer Report with the highest satisfaction. Since Model 3 is now only rated "average" for reliability due to such minor none-issues, I wonder what kind of "satisfaction" it would get when reliability improves.
BMW's midsized luxury sedan dropped to worse-than-average reliability. CR members told us that they experienced multiple problems with power equipment, including areas such as the keyless entry system and the lights, along with the in-car electronics systems, such as the screen going blank and the navigation system failing. BMW didn't reply to repeated requests for comment.

I am not angry. How about you?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #289
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Do you need more? They're all around the place. Tesla appears to be the absolute worst by a mile, even behind brands like Alfa Romeo that are well known with reliability issues.
I guess you missed the part where CR says they've also dropped a bunch of other cars, including BMW 5er.
Quote:
Sorry, miss-remembered. That was Model S. But vipers,
Set permanently to auto, manual activation of single wipe or washer with a stalk button.
Quote:
cruise control,
Right stalk
Quote:
drive modes
Model 3 has one drive mode: perfect.

In the future please educate yourself with the car you want to bash before actually doing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #290
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

CR's take on Model 3...

The Model 3 had below-average reliability. Members told us about problems in their cars, including issues with the door handles and loose interior trim and molding, along with paint defects, and problems with the windows—including glass defects such as cracks.

A Tesla spokeswoman told CR "we take feedback from our customers very seriously and quickly implement improvements any time we hear about issues." She added that Tesla had made improvements to correct the issues—through design and manufacturing improvements—that owners raised with CR.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #291
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm not a fanboy. I own one, and I know that the car has plenty of issues. However, in this conversation we're comparing it with BMWs, and in that frame the saying about throwing stones by the residents of glass houses fully applies.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #292
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
A Tesla spokeswoman told CR "we take feedback from our customers very seriously and quickly implement improvements any time we hear about issues." She added that Tesla had made improvements to correct the issues—through design and manufacturing improvements—that owners raised with CR.
Compare this with "BMW didn't reply".
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #293
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Compare this with "BMW didn't reply".
I respect that more to be honest.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #294
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I'm not a fanboy. I own one, and I know that the car has plenty of issues. However, in this conversation we're comparing it with BMWs, and in that frame the saying about throwing stones by the residents of glass houses fully applies.
Just more bipolar Tesla click bait imo. I noticed Tesla Model 3 are in the titles of these articles, even though CR removes many other recommendations.

Remember couple weeks back when Tesla Model 3 gathered highest owner satisfaction in CR? For some reason, "Tesla" gets ad revenues.
      02-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #295
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Remember couple weeks back when Tesla Model 3 gathered highest owner satisfaction in CR? For some reason, "Tesla" gets ad revenues.
That is quite consistent over the years, namely, Tesla owners in one hand complain about problems with their cars, and on the other hand praise their owner satisfaction.

BTW, have u driven the new G20? What are your thoughts compared to F30 and Model 3?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #296
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

I had the chance to drive the Model 3 Performance and here are my conclusions:

The positives :
-Its fast (0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds). Impressive midrange acceleration.
-Interior quality seems same level as bmw 3series I had
-Its easy to get used with the tablet although a headup display would have been more appropriate
-Looks good except when looking directly directly from the front

The negatives:
-Doors are too light and require more force to close them. Also the thump noise they make sound cheap
-Too much wind and road noise, even my E90 was better insulated
-Too open glovebox need to go in the menu ( kinda silly)
-I am missing the lumbar support from Bmw seats
-Glossy piano black interior center console ita hard to keep clean

I have an order on model 3 because it cost the same as a new 320d in Denmark.
What concerns me its the quality problems reported by owners ( panel gaps, noises )

This is by no means biased review, my wife wants a Tesla and I wanted a Bmw F10
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #297
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmury View Post
The negatives:
-Doors are too light and require more force to close them. Also the thump noise they make sound cheap
-Too much wind and road noise, even my E90 was better insulated
-Too open glovebox need to go in the menu ( kinda silly)
-I am missing the lumbar support from Bmw seats
-Glossy piano black interior center console ita hard to keep clean
Now this is proper criticism.

Just one correction: lumbar support is there and I don't notice any difference with what I had in my BMWs. Side bolsters on the other hand are totally Camry-like and completely inappropriate for a car with M3-like dynamics.
Appreciate 1
vladmury101.00
      02-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #298
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
That is quite consistent over the years, namely, Tesla owners in one hand complain about problems with their cars, and on the other hand praise their owner satisfaction.

BTW, have u driven the new G20? What are your thoughts compared to F30 and Model 3?
I need to find time to see my SA 50 minutes away. He is my go-to and let's me test drive alone. I would love to test drive G20, but I am afraid it'll make life more difficult cause I am so in love with Model 3 at the moment. So far I don't like the G20 look (sport or M Sport), but I am expecting big improvements over F30.
      02-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #299
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Model 3 would have to improve to reach "Average". If they were "non-issues", the owners would not have reported them so consistently across the sample. But, I understand the desire to dismiss them as such.

The difference from reliability to satisfaction is not inconsistent, nor unprecedented. In the industry, this is known as TGW (things gone wrong) vs. TGR (things gone right). Many Jaguars, and some vehicles like Dodge Viper (as recounted by Bob Lutz) thrived because, for those particular buyers, high enough TGR offsets an also-high TGW. For Tesla devotees willing to put up with the array of problems shown so far, they may still love their cars. If/when reliability improves, as you mention, satisfaction would indeed be expected to go quite high.

Cognitive dissonance is also a powerful factor, particularly the more the Tesla choice gets challenged.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #300
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

things keeping me from ordering another Model 3:

- Carplay and Android Auto
- Water running straight into trunk (this one is baffling).
- Wind noise (I think this can be mitigated with front window acoustic glass, pipe dream at this time).
- I don't mind paying $2000 for paint, but I better not see scratches when I pick it up.
      02-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #301
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Regarding interior material quality. Model 3 is better than any F3X which has hard plastic everywhere. It won't wow you with the typical German "silver metal trim" but material is excellent. The design "looks" spartan but feels premium.
What are you talking about? I have a F30 and I love the interior. Honestly in some ways it is better than the G30 with its non-removable silver trims around the vents. Tesla does not even compete in the same league in my opinion - maybe with base hondas and toyotas except the interior is ugly while the honda/toyota interior is competent.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1707.50
      02-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #302
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't worry about this too much. The built-in functionality covers most Carplay use cases.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #303
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
things keeping me from ordering another Model 3:

- Water running straight into trunk (this one is baffling).
- Wind noise (I think this can be mitigated with front window acoustic glass, pipe dream at this time).
- I don't mind paying $2000 for paint, but I better not see scratches when I pick it up.
-yeah not gonna happen, although it should
-i haven't had one instance where this happened to me and i've opened the trunk in rain many times
-big issue this one, i got the noise reduction rubber pipe for the top glass roof but i need to get more for the windshield sides, once you notice it, it's really annoying, the wind noise is definitely too loud.
-yeah good luck with that, i found wayyyyy to many defects like small bubbles, chips and clear coat scratches on mine. it's more like a $100 paintjob than a $2000 one, huge rip off.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #304
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
What are you talking about? I have a F30 and I love the interior. Honestly in some ways it is better than the G30 with its non-removable silver trims around the vents. Tesla does not even compete in the same league in my opinion - maybe with base hondas and toyotas except the interior is ugly while the honda/toyota interior is competent.
I don't see how F30 interior is better in any ways compared to the G30, that's crazy talk. i mean i don't even think the G30 interior is better than the new A class sedan's interior let alone the current C class.

Model 3's interior material is a big joke, the "leather" in there is more or less to what you get in a Chevy malibu "premium"

the simplistic design i actually don't mind. i can't stand to look at a normal instrument cluster or knobs and buttons anymore
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #305
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I suspect that most if not all of the negative criticism is coming from those that have never driven / sat in a Model 3. Not saying that the car can't be criticized, but a least drive it first and come to the table with some hands on opinions.

I tested a Model 3 P recently and it blew my mind how good the car was from a performance standpoint (my current car is an F80 M3). The interior was also surprisingly well appointed, maybe not on par with my M3 but certainly a step above a base F30. The screen being your primary hub is a bit jarring, but you get used to it.

Again I'm a current F80 owner, so I have zero reason to talk up the Model 3, but I'm seriously considering one for my next car (the performance model that is).
      02-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #306
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
The interior was also surprisingly well appointed, maybe not on par with my M3 but certainly a step above a base F30.
for a $50K+ car that interior is atrocious. it's all about the performance and autopilot. i'm still kicking myself for not getting the performance when it still had the full 7500$ credit.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      02-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #307
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Quote:
The interior was also surprisingly well appointed, maybe not on par with my M3 but certainly a step above a base F30.
for a $50K+ car that interior is atrocious. it's all about the performance and autopilot. i'm still kicking myself for not getting the performance when it still had the full 7500$ credit.
Sparse, yes. I thought the materials were actually pretty decent though. Just my opinion.

I agree the Performance is insane though. That first time you stomp on the pedal is surreal, haha.
      02-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #308
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I suspect that most if not all of the negative criticism is coming from those that have never driven / sat in a Model 3. Not saying that the car can't be criticized, but a least drive it first and come to the table with some hands on opinions.

I tested a Model 3 P recently and it blew my mind how good the car was from a performance standpoint (my current car is an F80 M3). The interior was also surprisingly well appointed, maybe not on par with my M3 but certainly a step above a base F30. The screen being your primary hub is a bit jarring, but you get used to it.

Again I'm a current F80 owner, so I have zero reason to talk up the Model 3, but I'm seriously considering one for my next car (the performance model that is).
Electric motors deliver instantaneous power to the wheels. Not sure that's a good yardstick for engineering or performance excellence.

Not saying Tesla's are rubbish. They do accelerate pretty damned good. I considered Model S seriously before deciding to stick with BMW with a G30. Interiors and ergonomics of BMW's are in a different league to the lazy 17" screen Tesla slap in their cars.
Appreciate 0