Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Thoughts on non-run-flat tires?

06-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

Thoughts on non-run-flat tires?

Sorry if there's already a thread on this.

BMW offers a limited number of options for wheels with non-run flat tires. I think that's what I want, probably with the spare tire option. Any thoughts on this?

Almost separate question: if I did order the non-run flat with spare tire option, what OEM tires would that include? Is there a standard way to sell those tires, brand new, so I can buy the tires of my choice? (Probably Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, absent advice to look at something else.)
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
golferboy2312
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulenspiegel View Post
Sorry if there's already a thread on this.

BMW offers a limited number of options for wheels with non-run flat tires. I think that's what I want, probably with the spare tire option. Any thoughts on this?

Almost separate question: if I did order the non-run flat with spare tire option, what OEM tires would that include? Is there a standard way to sell those tires, brand new, so I can buy the tires of my choice? (Probably Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, absent advice to look at something else.)
Check out the amount of trunk space you will lose, I think it is significant. I went with the runflats, I will just drive them for a 18 months and then buy great non runflats....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferboy2312 View Post
Check out the amount of trunk space you will lose, I think it is significant. I went with the runflats, I will just drive them for a 18 months and then buy great non runflats....
Not a 100% on this one but think the car is set up slightly differently from factory depending on which option you get.
Plus you will need the tire repair kit.

I was actually thinking of doing the opposite, due to not offering my wheel of choice with RFT, but in the end I had to make different choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

As I put in other posts, I always remove RFTs and dont havent had a spare. I live in So Cal so we are fortunate that we dont have alot of rain, snow, etc that brings road debris out that can puncture. We also dont have a lot of construction areas where nails might be a concern. Doesnt mean it wont happen, just not as often. When I lived in TX, GA and KS, was a little more often. Here in CA, maybe 5 times had nails since 1999. My new car came with non RFTS and I am happy as hell about it because I dont have to spend extra to replace them. At least until I upgrade to 19s. I do have a spare that the car came with but clearly the cars were designed for a spare because the spare tire package is not just slipping in the tire and tools. There was a whole kit that took half of the trunk. very shallow now but I am removing it. Worst case, I have roadside assistance and they can get me to a tire shop or home where I can then put on my spare.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
Not a 100% on this one but think the car is set up slightly differently from factory depending on which option you get.
Plus you will need the tire repair kit.

I was actually thinking of doing the opposite, due to not offering my wheel of choice with RFT, but in the end I had to make different choice.
Suspension is the same regardless which tire type you order.
Appreciate 0