Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What did you learn or discover about your G20 3 Series recently?

11-02-2021, 11:49 PM   #727
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
...doing a lot of discovery as I replaced my '20 330i with a '22 340i yesterday. Importantly how Traffic Jam Assistant is wonderful after work. It's quite aggressive for filling the gap in traffic!

Attachment 2734337
First off congrats on the new car. Just a little point of correction: that's the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant. It's terrific; I use it frequently. A few weeks back I was in L.A and I couldn't be happier doing absolutely nothing other than let the car drive and steer itself though an hours' long horrendous traffic jam. Can't beat that.
Appreciate 1
JasonDot585.00
      11-03-2021, 03:44 AM   #728
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Just learnt today that you can set an activation point to automatically start the forward facing camera.

I've set my front driveway as an activation point so I can manoeuvre into my tight garage. 😊
Are you referring to the drive recorder?
Quote:
Quote:
Just learnt today that you can set an activation point to automatically start the forward facing camera.

I've set my front driveway as an activation point so I can manoeuvre into my tight garage. 😊
Are you referring to the drive recorder?
No, just the forward camera view. I don't have the drive recorder. The activation camera point function is similar to the function that opens the drivers window automatically at a pre-determined location.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:01 AM   #729
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Try this.
Thanks. Yes, that works but I'd prefer the engine not to shut off by simply opening the door. There are scenarios where I wouldn't necessarily want that.
Mine does not shut the engine off off when you just open the door, you've got to have hit the stop/start button first otherwise it keeps on running and all stays on.

That would suck if the car turned off every time you opened the door.
You sure? Mine will shut the engine off if you open the door even if I don't hit the start stop. If you open the door when it's locked the engine will shut off
Yes, lol. I'm 300% sure (3rd car with I drive 7 on this setting).

With them all you can open the car door, get out, open the garage door and get back in and they will all still be running.

They don't go into idle state (off) until I hit the start/stop button (standby) and open the door.

One thing though, I am able to and always turn off ASS automatically when I start my trip. I know some don't have the disable button. Not sure if that makes a difference.
      11-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #730
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
...doing a lot of discovery as I replaced my '20 330i with a '22 340i yesterday. Importantly how Traffic Jam Assistant is wonderful after work. It's quite aggressive for filling the gap in traffic!

Attachment 2734337
How's that work? Does it tell you what lane to be in? Nav does that for exits, but that looks different.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #731
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, just the forward camera view. I don't have the drive recorder. The activation camera point function is similar to the function that opens the drivers window automatically at a pre-determined location.
Couple of weeks ago I saw activation point as an option while playing with the drive recorder. Could be different for forward camera. I haven't yet had a use for the feature but I'll check it out later today
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #732
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
How's that work? Does it tell you what lane to be in? Nav does that for exits, but that looks different.
It works under certain conditions such as freeways, speeds below 40mph, etc., (see the manual for more info.) Once the car is in slow moving traffic, an option for "Assistant Plus" pops up. You simply hit the "mode" button to activate. This only works if you have Steering Assistant (also know as Steering and Traffic Jam Assistant) already engaged.

Exits are a function of navigation so yes you should still see an exit warning for lane change on your nav just like you would if you were driving yourself. The feature does not require you to be at a particular lane for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #733
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:

With them all you can open the car door, get out, open the garage door and get back in and they will all still be running.

They don't go into idle state (off) until I hit the start/stop button (standby) and open the door.

One thing though, I am able to and always turn off ASS automatically when I start my trip. I know some don't have the disable button. Not sure if that makes a difference.
I concur. As long as you don't hit the stop/start button the engine will stay on when opening the door. That would be nuts otherwise.

Not having the disable button doesn't make a difference as I don't have it, but I also engage Sport Individual mode every time I start up the car which for all intents and purposes achieves the same thing.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      11-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #734
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try this.
Thanks. Yes, that works but I'd prefer the engine not to shut off by simply opening the door. There are scenarios where I wouldn't necessarily want that.
Mine does not shut the engine off off when you just open the door, you've got to have hit the stop/start button first otherwise it keeps on running and all stays on.

You sure? Mine will shut the engine off if you open the door even if I don't hit the start stop. If you open the door when it's locked the engine will shut off

What mode are you in? This seems to happen when I'm in comfort and the battery is on not the engine. If I'm in sport+ yes the engine will stay on
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #735
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm a little bit confused. Are you saying that even with that option selected the engine vehicle/engine doesn't shutdown? Isn't that what the option is designed to do? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post with that option selected. Haven't tested this - not even sure if I have the option selected but I'll test.

Edit: I indeed have that option checked; I tested and my engine stays running even when I open the door and step out. What exactly is the point? The option is a bit misleading and could have been worded differently
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #736
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Edit: I indeed have that option checked; I tested and my engine stays running even when I open the door and step out. What exactly is the point? The option is a bit misleading and could have been worded differently
I think the "turning off vehicle after opening door" option refers to ignition-off only, so it does not affect engine-on/off.

In other words, when the engine is off, but ignition is on(e.g. radio is still on), selecting that option allows opening door to turn off ignition and shutoff electronics.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #737
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
I think the "turning off vehicle after opening door" option refers to ignition-off only, so it does not affect engine-on/off.

In other words, when the engine is off, but ignition is on(e.g. radio is still on), selecting that option allows opening door to turn off ignition and shutoff electronics.
It shuts off the engine if the doors are locked and you open the door while the engine is still running. My doors are set to auto lock when driving. So if I stop/park while engine is running and I open the door the engine turns off. So it works both ways: if I shut off the engine before opening the door, all electronics turn off as soon as I open the door.
Appreciate 1
TruthOne1081.00
      11-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #738
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It shuts off the engine if the doors are locked and you open the door while the engine is still running. My doors are set to auto lock when driving. So if I stop/park while engine is running and I open the door the engine turns off.
I have these clicked:
  • lock after a few minutes
  • lock after driving(auto lock)
  • turn off vehicle after opening door
So mine also auto locks after car starts to move.

However, when I stop and exit without pressing start-stop, the engine does not turn off.

At times I do that to drop off something quick, and the car alerts me(horn goes on) when I lock the car.

When I press start/stop to turn off engine, the radio still plays.

But when I open the door, the radio and the rest of electronics turn off.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      11-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #739
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It shuts off the engine if the doors are locked and you open the door while the engine is still running. My doors are set to auto lock when driving. So if I stop/park while engine is running and I open the door the engine turns off.
I have these clicked:
  • lock after a few minutes
  • lock after driving(auto lock)
  • turn off vehicle after opening door
So mine also auto locks after car starts to move.

However, when I stop and exit without pressing start-stop, the engine does not turn off.

At times I do that to drop off something quick, and the car alerts me(horn goes on) when I lock the car.

When I press start/stop to turn off engine, the radio still plays.

But when I open the door, the radio and the rest of electronics turn off.
Not sure why it behaves differently on our cars. If I turn the engine on without driving and I open the door, engine stays on. But once I drive and park and then open the door engine goes off. Electronics/music still keeps playing. But if I turn off the engine and open the door iDrive/electronics goes off. What do you drive? 330i or 340i? Perhaps it depends on the model of the vehicle.

Edit: if I park and then manually unlock the door; once I open the door engine does not shut off. So yeah it has something to do with the door being locked at least on the M340i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #740
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Sort of confusing to keep up with everyone's experiences here but all I know is that by checking the "Turn off vehicle after opening door" box it does exactly what I wanted. When I park the car and shut off the engine and open the door, the electronics all shut off, including the audio system. Prior to that my music continued to play even after shutting off the engine and opening the door. It's all good now.

It seems bavarianride has the same settings as I do. I'm not certain how anyone being parked with the engine running but when opening the door it cuts off power to the engine. That would piss me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #741
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure why it behaves differently on our cars. If I turn the engine on without driving and I open the door, engine stays on. But once I drive and park and then open the door engine goes off. Electronics/music still keeps playing. But if I turn off the engine and open the door iDrive/electronics goes off. What do you drive? 330i or 340i? Perhaps it depends on the model of the vehicle.

Edit: if I park and then manually unlock the door; once I open the door engine does not shut off. So yeah it has something to do with the door being locked at least on the M340i
I think M340i MH's ASS is always-on, engine off when parked likely is ASS decides to shutoff engine, regardless door open or not.

Mine is 330i with ASS default enabled when engine is turned on, but I usually press ASS button to disable. So my engine keeps running when parked, and iDrive alerts me(with car horn) of running engine if I exit(and lock door).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #742
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not certain how anyone being parked with the engine running but when opening the door it cuts off power to the engine. That would piss me off.
M340i mild hybrid's ASS should be always on, so if not already coded default to off, I think the engine may shutoff when parked(not 100% sure), regardless of door open or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #743
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think M340i MH's ASS is always-on, engine off when parked likely is ASS decides to shutoff engine, regardless door open or not.

Mine is 330i with ASS default enabled when engine is turned on, but I usually press ASS button to disable. So my engine keeps running when parked, and iDrive alerts me(with car horn) of running engine if I exit(and lock door).
Could be ASS; but that doesn't explain why when the door is manually unlocked before opening the door the vehicle remains in drive-ready state; but when locked and you open the door it goes to idle state. There are times when I need to quickly jump out of the car while the engine is still running and wouldn't necessarily want the car to idle.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #744
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Could be ASS; but that doesn't explain why when the door is manually unlocked before opening the door the vehicle remains in drive-ready state; but when locked and you open the door it goes to idle state. There are times when I need to quickly jump out of the car while the engine is still running and wouldn't necessarily want the car to idle.
That is a good point, I guess manually unlock tells iDrive/ECU that the driver intends to keep engine running, while without driver input, the ASS does its own thing.

Similarly, on my 330i, pressing ASS button is the driver input to bypass ASS.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #745
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is a good point, I guess manually unlock tells iDrive/ECU that the driver intends to keep engine running, while without driver input, the ASS does its own thing.
Seems plausible: I will temporarily disable auto-lock to test your theory of signaling the ECU since at this point I won't have to do anything other than just open the door
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #746
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
M340i mild hybrid's ASS should be always on, so if not already coded default to off, I think the engine may shutoff when parked(not 100% sure), regardless of door open or not.
No, because I tested it today to confirm. Mine doesn't shut off the engine when parked and opening the door. Like I said before, the only issue I was having was the audio system continuing to play music even after shutting off the engine and opening the door. Checking that aforementioned box fixed that. Now it may very well depend on the drive settings though. I have mine on Individual Sport mode almost 100% of the time whenever I drive.

Oh and when I put it in Park, I'm not manually unlocking the door per se (aka not pressing unlock button), but simply opening the door.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #747
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, because I tested it today to confirm. Mine doesn't shut off the engine when parked and opening the door. Like I said before, the only issue I was having was the audio system continuing to play music even after shutting off the engine and opening the door. Checking that aforementioned box fixed that. Now it may very well depend on the drive settings though. I have mine on Individual Sport mode almost 100% of the time whenever I drive.

Oh and when I put it in Park, I'm not manually unlocking the door per se (aka not pressing unlock button), but simply opening the door.
I see, so your M340i's behavior (as far as engine remains on when door is opened, and "turn off car after opening door) is identical to my 330i.

So it is puzzling why other M340i(may be 330i too?) behaves differently.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #748
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I see, so your M340i's behavior (as far as engine remains on when door is opened, and "turn off car after opening door) is identical to my 330i.

So it is puzzling why other M340i(may be 330i too?) behaves differently.
Yeah, it seems that way.

By the way, just to reiterate, the electrical system (incl. audio) turns off when I open the door only AFTER I shut the engine off.
Appreciate 1