BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Laserlights

02-04-2022, 02:41 AM   #23
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I wish you could turn that bloody speed sign recognition off. It’s utterly useless.
Appreciate 1
bmnut827.50
      02-04-2022, 04:17 AM   #24
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

I must have put a hex on myself since speccing laserlights. Since getting the G20 last April between one thing or another I'd say I haven't used them for an hour in total. Seems like an extravagant purchase
      02-04-2022, 07:27 AM   #25
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I wish you could turn that bloody speed sign recognition off. It’s utterly useless.
Totally agree with you on that one Paul. I'm getting frigging sick of it displaying the incorrect speed limit for the road you're on, especially when you know the roads so well. That bloody KAFKAS camera, or whatever the hell it is, is far too sensitive and appears to have a ridiculously wide angle on it to react to speed limit signs on side roads that are at right angles to your direction of travel. Like I said once before it seems to have the peripheral vision of a bloody horse!
I notice the 'No Overtaking' sign warning is no longer present now like it used to be on the speed limit display feature on the F3x series cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #26
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M50, E71 40dx, E46 330 vert

Part of the issue is that if the camera can’t see anything it defaults to what is on the nav map database and those are often complete wrong. A local road to me shows as a 40mph - something it has never been since the road was built 25 years ago. It’s always been a 30mph, and being urban will stay at that limit. Even more strangely it only shows 40mph on the nav data in one direction!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #27
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Totally agree with you on that one Paul. I'm getting frigging sick of it displaying the incorrect speed limit for the road you're on, especially when you know the roads so well. That bloody KAFKAS camera, or whatever the hell it is, is far too sensitive and appears to have a ridiculously wide angle on it to react to speed limit signs on side roads that are at right angles to your direction of travel. Like I said once before it seems to have the peripheral vision of a bloody horse!
I notice the 'No Overtaking' sign warning is no longer present now like it used to be on the speed limit display feature on the F3x series cars.
It's definitely a bit shite. This is the fourth (might be more) car I've had with some kind of speed limit recognition and the success rate is appalling. Not so bad when you can just ignore it, but supposedly from July all new cars will have automatic limiters. Coupled with the new highway code that only 5% of people will have read, it's a recipe for disaster.

We don't trust people anymore so we're going to put your lives in the hands of microchips. What could possibly go wrong?
Appreciate 1
bmnut827.50
      02-06-2022, 03:36 AM   #28
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
It's definitely a bit shite. This is the fourth (might be more) car I've had with some kind of speed limit recognition and the success rate is appalling. Not so bad when you can just ignore it, but supposedly from July all new cars will have automatic limiters. Coupled with the new highway code that only 5% of people will have read, it's a recipe for disaster.

We don't trust people anymore so we're going to put your lives in the hands of microchips. What could possibly go wrong?
Pleased my car doesn’t have a bloody speed limiter (other than the 155mph one which is immaterial anyway!). If any future software updates try to ‘introduce’ it then I’ll be investigating how to remove or disable the bastard!
There would have been no way in hell I’d have been able to do my job when I was still working with something like that active on the vehicle!
If people think that all this techno bullshit is ultimately going to make our roads safer then I’d like to know what these idiots are on!
If it’s going to be so heavily reliant on microchips however then it could be a while then eh? ……”every cloud”….!!!
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2022, 04:00 AM   #29
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Pleased my car doesn’t have a bloody speed limiter (other than the 155mph one which is immaterial anyway!). If any future software updates try to ‘introduce’ it then I’ll be investigating how to remove or disable the bastard!
There would have been no way in hell I’d have been able to do my job when I was still working with something like that active on the vehicle!
If people think that all this techno bullshit is ultimately going to make our roads safer then I’d like to know what these idiots are on!
If it’s going to be so heavily reliant on microchips however then it could be a while then eh? ……”every cloud”….!!!
That auto limiter will be the death of driving for pleasure as we know it. First it'll need a heavy press to bypass, and can be disabled, then it will become mandatory, then the bypass function will become either heavily restricted or outright removed too once the rest of self-driving catches up...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:27 AM   #30
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Cars will become simple modes of getting from a to b, all within the limits and sensibilities of a liberal left setting the agenda.
The days of cars being interesting, different and fun are coming to an end, it's just a matter of time. We've all seen films set not that far in the future and most show autonomous driving, cars stacked in close on motorways maximising efficiency.
Enjoy what you have while you can, as the days of cars as we know them are coming to an end. It's a sad, but inevitable direction of travel.

Anyhoo, I'm off for a Sunday blast in my B58 powered smirk inducing fun machine.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 3
bmnut827.50
JustChris17597.00
      02-06-2022, 05:47 AM   #31
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Cars will become simple modes of getting from a to b, all within the limits and sensibilities of a liberal left setting the agenda.
The days of cars being interesting, different and fun are coming to an end, it's just a matter of time. We've all seen films set not that far in the future and most show autonomous driving, cars stacked in close on motorways maximising efficiency.
Enjoy what you have while you can, as the days of cars as we know them are coming to an end. It's a sad, but inevitable direction of travel.

Anyhoo, I'm off for a Sunday blast in my B58 powered smirk inducing fun machine.
Excellent idea! Perfect day!……I’m going to a local Toolstation for a weatherproof outside electrical socket! 😡
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 03:29 PM   #32
Exeterj
Rep
Drives: VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
Laser lights are great fun in the dark behind another car. The amount of light it throws out but casts a black box around the car, its like the other car has a UFO flying on top of it. They must see all the road signs and hedges all lit up and think WTF is going on hahhaahahahahah
I’ve done 14k miles (a lot in the dark) since getting the car in October and do get flashed sometimes with laser /HBA on - you can clearly see the adaptive lights working and not blinding people and it seems to be occasionally when there is a car in front of me that a car coming the other way flashes, so I actually think it’s exactly what Beerglass007 has said, that people think you are on main beam as the lights are coming from around the back of the car in front of you
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:20 AM   #33
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

Off topic a little....I know my world doesn't represent the whole of England but I do not know anyone who agrees with the liberal left, introducing rules that are frankly dangerous, with little to no common sense applied, I just do not know where its going to stop, soon I hope!

Back on topic.... my lasers on a country lane outperform any lights I have had before, haven't had anyone flash me yet, I do feel I am helping my fellow man/woman when behind them, lighting the way for them, sure they must check their HB, very impressed so far

Last edited by gashead76; 02-07-2022 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:08 AM   #34
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

I drive quite a lot on unlit country roads and the laser lights are brilliant. If I lived in a town I wouldn't bother though as they only really come alive in the country roads.
My wife has a mini JCW with Matrix led headlights. When I had my F31 BMW I found these matrix headlights on the mini to be noticeably better,
Not completely groundbreaking but noticeable. The lighting ahead was just clearer somehow, almost like HD to non HD tv is how I describe it.
I then got the laser lights and they are a little better than the Matrix, less of a difference than the F31 to the mini but again, noticeable. They seem to punch a bit further ahead. Both react to oncoming cars very quickly.
I get flashed occasionally, usually when going uphill and someone towards coming down. I do notice that my beam isn't lighting up their cabin though. I just think they are brighter than what people are used to.
They do sometimes miss a car pulling out of a driveway when their lights are facing away and no lights are visible to me. Same for cyclists pulling out so they aren't perfect by this is rare so are close to it.
Appreciate 0