BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Laserlights

01-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #1
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Laserlights

Just had a strange experience with the "Laserlights" aka Selective Beam. Someone coming the other way flashed me rather energetically, even though I'm certain I wasn't dazzling them, and the high beam switched itself off completely and refused to come on automatically until I'd stopped and restarted the engine. Never had this with the Z4.

Given the number of people with dirty windscreens who seem convinced that everyone with decent headlights has got high beam on, this could prove to be a pain if it keeps happening.

Has anyone else experienced it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
Oxidgrey_bmw_g21
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Xdrive

Not yet!
But One of my first night driver my laserlights went nuts. It was going over the whole place. Up down right left left right Up and and so on.

Suddenly I hade to brake hard really hard. It was a car with a caravan with no lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidgrey_bmw_g21 View Post
Not yet!
But One of my first night driver my laserlights went nuts. It was going over the whole place. Up down right left left right Up and and so on.

Suddenly I hade to brake hard really hard. It was a car with a caravan with no lights.
Wow, that must have been weird!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
Oxidgrey_bmw_g21
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidgrey_bmw_g21 View Post
Not yet!

Wow, that must have been weird!
But lm used to it now. It does that some times of they cant read what is on the road.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 01:32 PM   #5
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
I've had a couple people do this but I just return the favour and they very quickly realise their error

Doesn't happen that often to me though, in all honesty.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #6
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman77 View Post
I've had a couple people do this but I just return the favour and they very quickly realise their error

Doesn't happen that often to me though, in all honesty.
You've not had it disable the auto high beam, then?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:25 PM   #7
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You've not had it disable the auto high beam, then?
No nothing of the sort really, sorry. HBA has always remained fully functional for me.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2022, 03:54 AM   #8
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Funnily enough, for the first time last week I had somebody put their main beam up at me although I'm not sure whether that was deliberate or whether they'd gone a bit too soon putting their lights up (there was nobody following me heading towards them so it might just have been a slight timing error on their part!).

But I must admit I'm always nervous about being flashed because, even if only one of the headlights is on main beam, the blue main beam warning light remains illuminated on the dash (or at least it does in my car). The fact I've not been flashed suggests the selective beam is working ok and not dazzling other drivers but, not having had HBA before, I have to say it was initially quite disconcerting to see that blue warning light on the dash when there were other cars around (either in front and/or heading towards me coming the other way). I am now fairly trusting of the technology but it did take a little while!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2022, 04:38 AM   #9
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No nothing of the sort really, sorry. HBA has always remained fully functional for me.
OK thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:40 AM   #10
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Funnily enough, for the first time last week I had somebody put their main beam up at me although I'm not sure whether that was deliberate or whether they'd gone a bit too soon putting their lights up (there was nobody following me heading towards them so it might just have been a slight timing error on their part!).

But I must admit I'm always nervous about being flashed because, even if only one of the headlights is on main beam, the blue main beam warning light remains illuminated on the dash (or at least it does in my car). The fact I've not been flashed suggests the selective beam is working ok and not dazzling other drivers but, not having had HBA before, I have to say it was initially quite disconcerting to see that blue warning light on the dash when there were other cars around (either in front and/or heading towards me coming the other way). I am now fairly trusting of the technology but it did take a little while!
Depending on how dark it is, you can usually see that the lights are blocking out certain areas, eg where other cars are, and often when light is hitting a reflective sign. As you say, it takes a bit of getting used to.

Hopefully this was just a one off.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Chances are it has been just a one off.
I’ve had HBA with adaptive LEDs on two previous F32s, my wife’s got HBA with adaptive LEDs on her F22 and mine are now laser lights with HBA. Never really had any problems with them doing their magic tricks as expected ever since we’ve had them, as has been said you can usually see the movement of the beams according to the oncoming traffic and coming up on traffic in front. You can also detect the cornering function of the beams too at times.
Agree the main beam blue dashboard warning light staying illuminated when they’re doing their tricks can be a little disconcerting!
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2022, 03:13 AM   #12
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I find the blue main beam indication useful honestly, since it's good to know when approaching lit areas whether I'm possibly dazzling cars at junctions on either side or that lorry just through the foliage etc.
Appreciate 2
bmnut833.50
      01-23-2022, 06:40 AM   #13
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I find the blue main beam indication useful honestly, since it's good to know when approaching lit areas whether I'm possibly dazzling cars at junctions on either side or that lorry just through the foliage etc.
TBH I never really notice it as it's pretty much hidden by the steering wheel - I like to sit well back.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #14
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

With today’s bumpy potholed roads I wouldn’t be 100% sure that a flash really was a flash, unless repeated.
Appreciate 2
bmnut833.50
      01-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
I see your point but this was what initially gave me cause for anxiety! With a car coming the other way the blue light was on which made me think full main beam was activated when actually it wasn't - the bit lighting the nearside of the road was but the offside light had dipped to avoid dazzling the oncoming car.

As others have said, you can actually see this happening when you look - just as you can see it dipping the nearside headlight when you come up behind a car travelling the same direction - but it did throw me at first when the blue main beam light stayed on. But with experience I've grown to trust the technology so it doesn't really worry me now - if I suddenly start to get flashed I'll assume something's gone wrong with the selective beam function and take it to the dealer to get it looked at!
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #16
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
TBH I never really notice it as it's pretty much hidden by the steering wheel - I like to sit well back.
I had that too but adjusted my wheel so the instrument cluster remains unobstructed. Works a treat for me and I find it more comfortable but YMMV
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #17
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
With today’s bumpy potholed roads I wouldn’t be 100% sure that a flash really was a flash, unless repeated.
It was proper multi-flashing. I think I telepathically heard him calling me a w****r as well
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #18
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Laser lights are great fun in the dark behind another car. The amount of light it throws out but casts a black box around the car, its like the other car has a UFO flying on top of it. They must see all the road signs and hedges all lit up and think WTF is going on hahhaahahahahah
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #19
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
Laser lights are great fun in the dark behind another car. The amount of light it throws out but casts a black box around the car, its like the other car has a UFO flying on top of it. They must see all the road signs and hedges all lit up and think WTF is going on hahhaahahahahah
Am I right to think that your username means… L..o…..L 😳 (Sorry I know off topic)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:30 PM   #20
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Had another weird thing with my headlights just now - lit up a bridge like a christmas tree and I think it was the height warning that confused the car, but it decided the speed limit was 110mph! I can't even understand why that would be in its list of icons. And it definitely said 110mph, not just 110 as in possibly kmh.

Might explain why everyone drives like a twat round here
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:27 PM   #21
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Had another weird thing with my headlights just now - lit up a bridge like a christmas tree and I think it was the height warning that confused the car, but it decided the speed limit was 110mph! I can't even understand why that would be in its list of icons. And it definitely said 110mph, not just 110 as in possibly kmh.

Done the same to me on the M6 toll with the adaptive cruise control on. Next thing I'm heading north of 100mph lol
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #22
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Quote:

Done the same to me on the M6 toll with the adaptive cruise control on. Next thing I'm heading north of 100mph lol
Lol. Be interesting to see how a self driving car would react. Ooh 110, better keep up.
Appreciate 1