Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Dinan to begin R&D on G20 330i

06-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #45
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
So I've had the Sport tuner installed almost two weeks now...

Can someone help me understand how the tuner's Sport, Sport+ and Race settings interact with the car's Eco, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ settings?

If I have the tuner set at Race and put the car in Eco, what is actually happening?
The SPORT tuner does not care what setting the car is in. It will always be commanding the vehicle to make X amount more boost then stock regardless of driving mode. However, the driving mode dictates how "lazy" the car is in terms of suspension settings, throttle response and most importantly for this conversation, shifting. It will feel monumentally different when driving as that additional power/boost may not be realized as a result.

As an example in comfort/eco mode where fuel economy and ride quality beat out performance the throttle is lazy and the car short shifts for a smoother ride. This won't allow a full gear to be run out and the realization of the additional power unattainable. Power is there but the car won't allow you the tools to properly access it. In contrast in the sport modes there is no short shifting so that spectrum of the power band is again in use and the extra boost/power realized.

The SPORT tuner may have some minor benefits in Comfort/Eco but for any meaningful power gain the vehicle should be in a sport driving mode.
Appreciate 1
helmet91296.00