Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Professional ceramic coatings... CQuartz Finest Reserve? Anything better for me?

11-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Professional ceramic coatings... CQuartz Finest Reserve? Anything better for me?

Hi -

I have been looking into various options for the factory order car that I will be receiving early next year insofar as maintenance of paint, etc. The car will be outside when I am parked at work and outside at home (for now; will likely end up with a garage in the somewhat near future). Based on the way that I care for my car, I am firmly convinced that ceramic coating will be the best option for me insofar as the paint. I want to have it done right the first time by someone who knows what they are doing and with a high end product, even if it means at high cost. I expect to pay up to a few thousand dollars to have this done.

I have found it very, very difficult to get commentary on comparisons of various ceramic coatings. From what I have found, CQuartz Finest Reserve seems to be a legitimately very durable coating (which is important to me; I expect to drive this car for 5+ years, maybe closer to 10 if I fall in love with it) that also looks good, and is what I am leaning towards at this point. I am reading 6 years is a reasonable expectation with that particular coating. However, I would like to get opinions on other coatings that may be as durable or moreso and look good that might have some advantage over the Finest Reserve. Any thoughts or opinions on this?
2018 340i - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige Dakota Leather - 2018-March 2021
2021 M340i - Dravit Grey Metallic/Cognac Vernasca Leather - March 2021-Present
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:35 AM   #2
nofreeze
Great Value Matt Damon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

modesta
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 01:29 AM   #3
Redturtle
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3, Volvo xc40, bmw m340

I haven't used it. Used Gtechniq twice now. Both the top package at the time.

Crystal serum topped with Exov3. Fantastic lasted the length I had the car (4 years). Still beaded when I handed it over.

My current car is Crystal serum ultra topped with exov4 and it failed to bead and sheet after 2 years.
Recently stuck cancoat on it and it's beading happily.

The M340i have on order is booked in the have Modesta bc04 applied.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Carpro/Gyeon/Gtechniq/Modesta all provide quality coatings. At the end of the day you won’t go wrong with any of them. Just do your research and choose the one you like most. If I were choosing a coating I would look into gtechniq options.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Just had my G20 ceramic coated recently with gtechniq CSL + EVOv4 and Gyeon wheel coating. Absolutely love it.

06-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

I did my own car with some stuff I bought on Amazon. It was time-consuming but worth it. The shine and hydrophobic properties make it worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

If you're going to be outsourcing this, find some shops in your area then check their social media, check their reviews, and even ask if you can stop by to check out their work. If you're seeing the shop working on high end vehicles, and reading good reviews, you should be in good hands. I wouldn't get too hung up on any one brand, there are many great coatings on the market. Shops will have their preferred brands and even be approved installers for a particular brand.

The most important parts are prepping the surface before and maintenance after. Even though your car will be new, it will still have some light imperfections. A light polish will clear up any light scratches, bring out more gloss, and prep the clearcoat for the coating (cutting micro scratches into the clearcoat, which are invisible to the naked eye, giving the coating more surface area to bond)
Maintenance afterwards is easy, just clean the vehicle with safe washing methods at least once a month.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:00 AM   #8
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redturtle View Post
I haven't used it. Used Gtechniq twice now. Both the top package at the time.

Crystal serum topped with Exov3. Fantastic lasted the length I had the car (4 years). Still beaded when I handed it over.

My current car is Crystal serum ultra topped with exov4 and it failed to bead and sheet after 2 years.
Recently stuck cancoat on it and it's beading happily.

The M340i have on order is booked in the have Modesta bc04 applied.

My g20 has DIY Gtechniq CSL +2 coats of Evo and after 2 years it still beads like crazy. I would imagine the CS-Ultra would be even better. Maybe your installer is poor.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
fuxxo
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: G20, E38, E53

Garage List
if you are having a pro detailing shop install it, i would recommend modesta, from what i know it's by far the best ceramic coating out there.
however, there is also some maintenance, to keep the coating on the car, otherwise it wont last years..
IG
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
If you're going to be outsourcing this, find some shops in your area then check their social media, check their reviews, and even ask if you can stop by to check out their work. If you're seeing the shop working on high end vehicles, and reading good reviews, you should be in good hands. I wouldn't get too hung up on any one brand, there are many great coatings on the market. Shops will have their preferred brands and even be approved installers for a particular brand.

The most important parts are prepping the surface before and maintenance after. Even though your car will be new, it will still have some light imperfections. A light polish will clear up any light scratches, bring out more gloss, and prep the clearcoat for the coating (cutting micro scratches into the clearcoat, which are invisible to the naked eye, giving the coating more surface area to bond)
Maintenance afterwards is easy, just clean the vehicle with safe washing methods at least once a month.
I couldn’t agree more. Not every brand will be available at a shop in your area so do some research on the local shops. Most of the quality professional products are going to be comparable so who does the best prep and application is what counts. Ask to tour their shop and see cars in stages of the process.

My shop, a very busy one, took three days, polished the car, applied XPEL film on the nose and headlights and CeramicPro on the entire car, including glass, wnd cured the coating. I’m very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:17 AM   #11
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
How long are these professionally applied coatings going to last in a car that isn't garaged?
Appreciate 0