Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #23
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
M50 for an electric car...Seriously ? Are they going to add "Twin Scroll Turbo" on the engine cover? This is going to looks like Porsche with their non sens electric Taycan Turbo... I think the marketing people have no idea how a turbo works
They had "Turbo" CPU processors in computers, so not that far fetched.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #24
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
They had "Turbo" CPU processors in computers, so not that far fetched.
So every car today has a computer and...a "Turbo" CPU
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Thanks for sharing. When is SOP for ICE G26?
The SOP at Munich is as follows:

G26 4 Series Gran Coupe = 9/1
G26 BEV i4 = 11/1

I think the nomenclature also dispels any concerns that the i4 is not a hatchback or otherwise different from the Gran Coupe.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      12-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
BTW I see no hints of a proper M car derived from the i4 anywhere. The camoed mule with the M mirrors is as much of a mystery to me as it is to all of you. At this point, either I'm missing something major or that will be the first time special mirrors go on an M Performance model.
The one mule also wears wider quarter panels as well if I am remembering correctly.

It seems to me that the already muddied waters separating an "M Performance" model and proper M model will become increasingly more-so as electric drive proliferates throughout the lineup. In fact, earlier this year, BMW said that they will move away from using the M Performance brand on their vehicles, instead grouping all performance models into the same "BMW M" category.

A big part of the development cost - in both time and money - for an M vehicle has traditionally been the engine and transmission. EV's eliminate most of that. Transmissions feature a single step down ratio, and higher powered motors are a relatively small incremental step from the baseline parts. It's all housed in one modular unit and everything can be swapped with little effort. With those differentiators diminished, it would come as no surprise if product planners begin to recognize less value in artificially separating the products by reserving special mirrors, or a carbon fiber roof, or other mostly cosmetic parts for the top tier model. The suspensions and brakes could certainly remain distinguishing factors to keep some separation in driving dynamics, but that too has lessened over the years. Some visual differences obviously should and no doubt will remain, but perhaps not like we've been accustomed to. Something similar to what we see today with body color accents for the G80 base model vs. blacked out accents for the Competition model (with the ability to order either the other way around from the factory for a nominal cost) could conceivably become the norm for separating those from the lower tier sibling as well.

None of this has to be doom and gloom in my mind. Put 100hp motors at all four corners of the pedestrian vehicles and 250hp motors at all four corners of the high end model (with all others falling in between) and you've got a recipe for fun (see the electric RS3 Youtube videos for what's possible). And theoretically, you can put it all in a 1 Series or 2 Series because a high output electric motor is nearly the same size and weight as a low output one, whereas there was never going to be a quad turbo 1000hp V12 ICE 1M, not even in an alternate universe where alseT is driving disruption with hydrogen combustion engines. "What goes in the M8 then?" you all may ask. Four 500hp motors, of course. Actually, make them 600hp, because we can. Well, not today, no. But by 2050? Tell me I'm wrong, and bet against me.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13100.00
clee1982796.00
      12-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The SOP at Munich is as follows:

G26 4 Series Gran Coupe = 9/1
Would you mind if I kindly ask you what your source is for that information?

Quote:
I think the nomenclature also dispels any concerns that the i4 is not a hatchback or otherwise different from the Gran Coupe.
We knew that already, but I'm not surprised if there was some earlier debate about it onto which you are dovetailing on but which I had missed.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Would you mind if I kindly ask you what your source is for that information?
An industry database utilized by Tier 1 suppliers . It shows all global plants for all programs for all OEMs, by global region.

Quote:
We knew that already, but I'm not surprised if there was some earlier debate about it onto which you are dovetailing on but which I had missed.
Yes, there were earlier threads based on the well publicized camo shots where some debated if they saw a liftgate or not.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #29
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
An industry database utilized by Tier 1 suppliers . It shows all global plants for all programs for all OEMs, by global region.
Great, thanks for the info. That's at odds with ynguldyn's July start date, but such discrepancies from sources like these are not uncommon.

Quote:
Yes, there were earlier threads based on the well publicized camo shots where some debated if they saw a liftgate or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info. That's at odds with ynguldyn's July start date, but such discrepancies from sources like these are not uncommon.
There may be differences in what is being tracked between V1 and PVP (pre-volume production) in different sources.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      12-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #31
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiznberg View Post
Probably because the i prefix is a new chapter for BMW. In 30 years, there won’t be any gasoline, diesel, or hydrogen options. They’ll all be electric.
that would be a horrible idea. theres always been options. we cant put all our chips in one bag.

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #32
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiznberg View Post
Probably because the i prefix is a new chapter for BMW. In 30 years, there won’t be any gasoline, diesel, or hydrogen options. They’ll all be electric.
that would be a horrible idea. theres always been options. we cant put all our chips in one bag.
Everyone seems so sure gas is going away completely. I think it will stay along side electric as an additional option for those who prefer it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
Everyone seems so sure gas is going away completely. I think it will stay along side electric as an additional option for those who prefer it.
Some of these guys probably had a similar attitude

https://blog.newspapers.com/horse-an...-19th-century/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #34
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

I can see it going away at some point, maybe decades away but not in 5 years lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #35
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

IMO... there may still be fossil fuel vehicles being built 10 years from now, but the bulk of the R&D money is already being focused on alternative fuel vehicles, so any new ICE vehicles being produced by 2030-2035 will be the toads of the industry.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #36
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
With Munich, July SOPs are pretty much always low volume, then the whole plant goes on the Sacred August Vacation, and as a result proper high volume output is not seen until August 28-29.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      12-04-2020, 11:49 PM   #37
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
I'm sure the fans of coal powered steam cars said the same exact thing.
Appreciate 0