Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MPE sound/tone

12-10-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
f30newb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

MPE sound/tone

Hi everyone. I am very close to pulling the trigger on an MPE for my new M340i, but as wanted to ask a couple questions first for you all who have it. I definitely see the benefit of getting the louder exhaust noise because that cabin is pretty darn quiet. This will be a welcome improvement. Some added pops, crackles and burbles will be nice and fun as well.

But my main question is around the exhaust note. Does it get deeper/throatier? This is a characteristic I am really hoping for. So let me know those of you who have this upgraded exhaust.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Not a lot deeper but definitely louder. If you think it's going to make it sound like a deep rumbling V8, skip the MPE. It basically amplifies the stock exhaust, adds some additional burbles and backfires, and is WAY louder on a cold start.
f30newb15.00
      12-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
f30newb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Not a lot deeper but definitely louder. If you think it's going to make it sound like a deep rumbling V8, skip the MPE. It basically amplifies the stock exhaust, adds some additional burbles and backfires, and is WAY louder on a cold start.
Thanks for the advice. What's the volume like from the inside of the cabin?? On the one hand, I love that I can carry out a conversation and talk on my hands free without annoyance. But it's almost too quiet/isolated.

I guess what I'm asking is if the MPE makes it obnoxiously loud? I am looking for loud enough to enjoy the sound/spirited driving. But not insane where it causes a headache when driving.

Hope that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
enkoo52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30newb View Post
Thanks for the advice. What's the volume like from the inside of the cabin?? On the one hand, I love that I can carry out a conversation and talk on my hands free without annoyance. But it's almost too quiet/isolated.

I guess what I'm asking is if the MPE makes it obnoxiously loud? I am looking for loud enough to enjoy the sound/spirited driving. But not insane where it causes a headache when driving.

Hope that makes sense?
It gets significantly louder and more lively in sport+ mode but remains very civil in all other modes, especially comfort.

If you want a more aggressive sound, skip out on MPE and go Dinan or AWE. If you just want something that makes your car sound more like a performance vehicle without going overboard, the MPE is the ultimate choice.
Appreciate 2
f30newb15.00
MBM3401026.00
      12-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
f30newb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkoo52 View Post
Quote:

Hope that makes sense?
It gets significantly louder and more lively in sport+ mode but remains very civil in all other modes, especially comfort.

If you want a more aggressive sound, skip out on MPE and go Dinan or AWE. If you just want something that makes your car sound more like a performance vehicle without going overboard, the MPE is the ultimate choice.
enkoo52 thanks for the feedback. While driving inside the cabin how does it sound in sport plus mode? When you say significantly louder, does it get to the point where you can't speak on hands free or hold a convo properly? Or rather is it just pound enough for you to start noticing and enjoying the sound??
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
enkoo52
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
enkoo52 thanks for the feedback. While driving inside the cabin how does it sound in sport plus mode? When you say significantly louder, does it get to the point where you can't speak on hands free or hold a convo properly? Or rather is it just pound enough for you to start noticing and enjoying the sound??
It’s loud enough to enjoy the sound with windows down and still hold a substantive conversation with a passenger while cruising around town. The only time burbles/pops could become disruptive is if you’e breaking hard to come to a stop and car is Down shifting through gears. This isn’t as much of a problem if you’re driving in sport or sport individual though and if you’re windows are rolled all the way up you’ll hardly hear anything.
If still uncertain, Find a dealer near you with a car that has it optioned in or someone nearby that owns it with MPE to check it out first hand. You really can’t go wrong because you can always change mode to comfort if you still think it’s too loud while holding a conversation.
Appreciate 1
f30newb15.00
      12-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I've had my MPE for 4 months and absolutely love it. As some have said this is how the car should sound!

Definitely nice and loud on cold starts but I love that too! Even in comfort you can get a soft little burble when driving off from a cold start.

It lights right up in Sport+ but I wouldn't say it is bothersome at all from the cabin. I usually have the tunes pounding (BPM51) and have to turn it down to hear all that MPE goodness.

Very happy with this exhaust. Much improved over the stock one.
Appreciate 1
f30newb15.00
      12-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

F30newb, based on your first post and what it sounds like you are looking for the MPE is perfect for you. A little louder but never obnoxious and as mentioned, if you put it in comfort the flap closes. The level of sound, pops, etc in sport or sport+ fits the settings appropriately. I have a high flow catted dp, MPE and my exhaust flap permanently open and I have no issues using Bluetooth.
      12-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
f30newb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks so much for the replies, guys. Now the question is where to get the most competitive pricing for it. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
enkoo52
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much for the replies, guys. Now the question is where to get the most competitive pricing for it. Any suggestions?
Got mine from Brit at bmwpartspros and had it installed at the dealership that runs that site - Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo,CA so I avoided any shipping cost. Give them a try as I found they were pretty competitive in their pricing, or try any local dealership parts rep and see what they can do for you on price.

brit@bmwpartspros.com
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
I've had my MPE for 4 months and absolutely love it. As some have said this is how the car should sound!

Definitely nice and loud on cold starts but I love that too! Even in comfort you can get a soft little burble when driving off from a cold start.

It lights right up in Sport+ but I wouldn't say it is bothersome at all from the cabin. I usually have the tunes pounding (BPM51) and have to turn it down to hear all that MPE goodness.

Very happy with this exhaust. Much improved over the stock one.
this!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
nickmarkovic
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340

I would definitely do it if i were to order a new M340. I would rather go with the Dinan then the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 02:48 AM   #13
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

Mine, euro spec M340i touring (G21)
MPE with catless downpipe and straight mid section OPF off.....result a wild sound track, way louder than i expected.
it sounds pretty good, better than some other systems IMO only a bit too loud for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #14
SemtexGT
Romanian Spy
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
Mine, euro spec M340i touring (G21)
MPE with catless downpipe and straight mid section OPF off.....result a wild sound track, way louder than i expected.
it sounds pretty good, better than some other systems IMO only a bit too loud for me.
Hey, how did you fit the MPE on a euro M340i?
And where did you get it?

Asking for a friend
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #15
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemtexGT View Post
Hey, how did you fit the MPE on a euro M340i?And where did you get it?
Asking for a friend
Yes, MPE is for US.spec models and for G20 sedans only, to fit my euro G21 i needed some cutting and welding to be able to make adjustments to fit, its not too difficult to do since i also removed my OPF too to make my front and mid section the straight pipe.

It sounds really nice but roars loud though, if you want something gentle might want to consider 300cel DP or not to touch the OPF thing.

FYI
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #16
f30newb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got my MPE installed and +1 to the earlier comment that this is how the car should actually sound and come in with stock! Amazing purchase and highly recommended.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
Long Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 M340xi

Quote:
Just got my MPE installed and +1 to the earlier comment that this is how the car should actually sound and come in with stock! Amazing purchase and highly recommended.
Agreed! Much more soul than 2021 stock and I think better sound than the 2020 stock. Your mileage may differ.
Appreciate 0