Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Centre console wireless charger

01-15-2021, 06:13 AM   #1
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Centre console wireless charger

Time to upgrade my phone and it looks like the S21 Ultra is stupidly large, probably 2-3mm bigger with the slimmest case I can find than the wireless charger size above the cup holders
No the S21+ won't do as it has a way inferior screen resolution, worse than my S10+ which is also...

I remember seeing a thread(s) here where people with some aliexpress wireless chargers that go in the center console under the armrest but can't find them there or on the forums, if someone can link them - found loads that go above the cup holders but ofc they won't fit with the OEM charger there.

Don't want to lose the Android digital key functionality but it looks like BMW are killing it for android anyway since it expired and it won't let me extend it via connectedDrive either - one step forward and two steps back

Last edited by sd_dracula; 01-15-2021 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #2
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Time to upgrade my phone and it looks like the S21 Ultra is stupidly large, probably 2-3mm bigger with the slimmest case I can find than the wireless charger size above the cup holders
No the S21+ won't do as it has a way inferior screen resolution, worse than my S10+ which is also...

I remember seeing a thread(s) here where people with some aliexpress wireless chargers that go in the center console under the armrest but can't find them there or on the forums, if someone can link them - found loads that go above the cup holders but ofc they won't fit with the OEM charger there.

Don't want to lose the Android digital key functionality but it looks like BMW are killing it for android anyway since it expired and it won't let me extend it via connectedDrive either - one step forward and two steps back
Why not just charge it via USB in the centre console armrest as honestly it'll charge much faster...you just have to remember it's there when you exit the car.

As for Digital Key it will be back for AA as the S21U will support the UWB feature that's in DK 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

If you want digital key you need to get an iphone.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Why not just charge it via USB in the centre console armrest as honestly it'll charge much faster...you just have to remember it's there when you exit the car.

As for Digital Key it will be back for AA as the S21U will support the UWB feature that's in DK 3.0
Good point, I was actually just reading about the S21s and yes both the plus and the ultra do support UWB but if it works from your pocket and not having to be laid down on the matt to start the car then all is good (though I doubt the UWB hardware is in my 2019 G20)

Yes I agree the wireless charging is super slow and cable charges faster, maybe BMW have heard about fast wireless charging?

iPhones don't exist to me so that option is a no go, had them in the past and didn't impress.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Good point, I was actually just reading about the S21s and yes both the plus and the ultra do support UWB but if it works from your pocket and not having to be laid down on the matt to start the car then all is good (though I doubt the UWB hardware is in my 2019 G20)

Yes I agree the wireless charging is super slow and cable charges faster, maybe BMW have heard about fast wireless charging?

iPhones don't exist to me so that option is a no go, had them in the past and didn't impress.
No UWB is not in your G20 either unless you have the Verizon version which I believe does have it.

Remember the G20 would have been conceived when the , no pun intended, current wireless charge speed would have been classed as fast, so perhaps the LCI will have faster charging, by which point cable will probably be even faster, so maybe look for a retrofit then or third party one now?

I'm the same iPhone will always be an non option.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep

There is hope apparently for non UWB cars, found an article that said Samsung are working with BMW for S21 plus/ultra using UWB but should still work for the plain S21 via nfc since that doesn't have UWB
Appreciate 0