BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Operating System 7 "Tyre Settings" Menu

01-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
Renzm
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Operating System 7 "Tyre Settings" Menu

Hi all,

Apologies if this seems like a bit of a stupid post. I just changed out (a bit late) to a set of Bola CSR wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin 5's for winter on the G20. I noted when resetting the tyre pressure settings in Operating System 7 that the option for the tyre size is there. I saw the option for 225/45/R18 for the rear axle which is what is fitted, both on both front and back. However with the ever so slight variation that the size in iDrive is an "H" speed rating, (such as for the Pirelli SottoZero 3 in this size) whereas the PA5s are a slightly higher "V" rated. To my understanding I assume that the "tyre settings" menu only determines the actual parameters for the tyre pressure warning? Is it fine to select the same size even though the speed rating on the fitted tyres is slightly higher or should I just select "other" here? Any input much appreciated - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I selected the 225/45/18 option with the lower speed rating even though my tyres, like yours, had a higher speed rating. I don't think speed rating plays a factor in determining tyre pressure but I could be wrong.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

the tire setting menu is ONLY to serve up recommend tire pressure, you can select whatever you want and it will not have any affect on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
Renzm
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Thanks for the confirmation - good to hear it only affects the display of recommended pressures. I'll have to double check but I don't *think* there should be any difference anyway in recommended pressure between the identical "H" and "V" rated tyres. Strangely enough I couldn't actually find any "H" rated tyres retailing. I looked online but pretty much any tyres available in that size are "V" rated. The recommended alternative staggered setup on the front axle though I recall did show a "V" rating recommended on the front and rear unlike the recommended squared setup - not sure why these weren't all just matched to a "V" requirement. Perhaps I'm being a bit pedantic lol
Appreciate 0