Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What did you learn or discover about your G20 3 Series recently?

03-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #67
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Interesting, thanks daveshan.

Maybe the Nav system is looking for updates from the USB C socket when the car starts, which disconnects the media source temporarily???

I dunno.

I guess I'll have to make peace with having my shiny bling iPod Nano on display.

03-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #68
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Park Assist Plus can be used to manoeuvre out if spaces as well as in!!
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #69
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Park Assist Plus can be used to manoeuvre out if spaces as well as in!!
How does this work then?
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #70
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
How does this work then?

I haven't built up the courage yet to test letting the car park / unpark for me :-(
      03-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #71
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
How does this work then?

I haven't built up the courage yet to test letting the car park / unpark for me :-(
Thanks.

I have tried the reverse park into a parking bay, very nervous with my foot hovering over the break lol but works well.

Other cars that have this you have to control the acceleration but BMW does it all.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #72
youthsonic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renedx View Post
It's an iOS safety feature. Any modern (ha!) iOS device would do so, it's the same when locked and connecting to your computer.

In general settings > passcode > down there, usb, turn this on and it will allow you to use the usb when the device has been locked & disconnected for >1 hour.
It works perfectly in the USB A socket (as it has done in my past 3 BMWs) - It's just the USB C connector that won't automatically recognise the device after the car has been shut down for a while. I have to unplug it and plug it in again.

The iPod itself isn't locked / PIN set up either. I'm pretty confident nobody is going to want to steal my Spice Girls MP3 files.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renedx View Post
It's an iOS safety feature. Any modern (ha!) iOS device would do so, it's the same when locked and connecting to your computer.

In general settings > passcode > down there, usb, turn this on and it will allow you to use the usb when the device has been locked & disconnected for >1 hour.
It works perfectly in the USB A socket (as it has done in my past 3 BMWs) - It's just the USB C connector that won't automatically recognise the device after the car has been shut down for a while. I have to unplug it and plug it in again.

The iPod itself isn't locked / PIN set up either. I'm pretty confident nobody is going to want to steal my Spice Girls MP3 files.

While I have not tried my iPhone in this way since I just use CarPlay, I can say that USB media using the USB-C port in the center armrest console works immediately even after not driving for a day. Even for videos.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #73
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

I learned that Drive Assist Pro also accepts a kneecap touching the wheel as acknowledgement you're paying attention while the car is driving. This is useful if you want to free up both hands for device usage, etc.

I use DAP mostly on long drives, where my back and legs appreciate it if I am able to vary their position occasionally, for example putting both feet flat on the floor away from the pedals, and reclining my back a bit.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #74
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
I learned that Drive Assist Pro also accepts a kneecap touching the wheel as acknowledgement you're paying attention while the car is driving. This is useful if you want to free up both hands for device usage, etc.

I use DAP mostly on long drives, where my back and legs appreciate it if I am able to vary their position occasionally, for example putting both feet flat on the floor away from the pedals, and reclining my back a bit.
Useful to use devices?? Remind me to never drive around where you live.
Appreciate 7
      03-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #75
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Useful to use devices?? Remind me to never drive around where you live.
Me too. Come on Retroguy...put away your phone!!!!
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #76
BMW-Munich
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

You can ask your BMW by speech commands how high the oil temperature is and it will give you the exact number. So you don't need to open the sports gauges before giving it the beans.
      03-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #77
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Me too. Come on Retroguy...put away your phone!!!!
I'm not talking about two-handed texting in city traffic, I'm talking about flipping through radio stations while on long interstate drives with only one car ahead, and a self-driving feature that I paid $1700 for and that BMW designed for this very purpose maintaining the correct distance (which can by the way react to braking and swerving situations faster than a human can) and alerting me when there's something I need to know about. I'm not sure those without this feature realize how far along it is.

And, I'm here on a forum where people are talking about using launch control red light to red light. So please, no moral-police safety discussions around this topic, it's just way too hypocritical. I do not even drive fast or aggressively like probably 80% of BMW drivers do. I just expect better depth of thought than this from this forum.

No, I'm not one to drive around the city (which is not as conducive to self-driving features) paying attention to the phone and not the road. There are two situations where self-driving makes sense.. the scenario above, and traffic jams.

Also, I wasn't talking about literally fiddling with my phone when I said device usage. My phone is usually in the tray charging. You guys realize that utilizing the touch screen, or even interacting with "Hey BMW" via voice counts as device usage? If you are doing that while driving and not using drive assist pro, you're taking way more risks than I am.

Last edited by TheRetroGuy; 03-22-2020 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: ...
Appreciate 5
Poochie9099.00
Andy3661121.50
TJZ67201813.50
      03-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #78
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
I learned that Drive Assist Pro also accepts a kneecap touching the wheel as acknowledgement you're paying attention while the car is driving. This is useful if you want to free up both hands for device usage

You just made guys that drive like this wet..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MBM3401022.50
      03-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #79
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
lol.. wonder if that's BMW's target demographic?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #80
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
lol.. wonder if that's BMW's target demographic?
Nah, I'm sure that guy's Bentley Mulsanne was probably just in the shop, he's obviously a rocket scientist..

Anyway, I'm surprise you can use anything but your hands to defeat any of Auto Assistance because BMW's unit uses body heat for a tactile feedback. I figure one's knees wouldn't make the cut :

I tried to see if I could remove the restrictions with Esys but they are unfortunately hard-coded to the software, so it cannot be altered via coding, other than some regional variation tweaks.

So substituting a limb as a bypass, is as good as is going to get, until someone perfects a fake silicone hand.

One day, this could be me:

Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      03-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #81
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nah, I'm sure that guy's Bentley Mulsanne was probably just in the shop, he's obviously a rocket scientist..

Anyway, I'm surprise you can use anything but your hands to defeat any of Auto Assistance because BMW's unit uses body heat for a tactile feedback. I figure one's knees wouldn't make the cut :
This is the beauty of the knee technique, it is not a defeat or bypass of the system, because it takes voluntary muscle contraction to hold your knee against the wheel -- it's arguably better proof that you're still awake than resting a hand on the wheel.

I suppose it's possible there is a "limb defeat" technique there somewhere, like maybe someone with leprechaun-sized legs could somehow wedge their leg up under the wheel just right, but my knees sit too high for that to be possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #82
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Just realised I can select the drive mode and accept the Welcome OK BEFORE starting the ignition. Unlike the F30
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #83
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just realized that the park assist self parking feature is something I probably won't use much. Aside from parallel parking (which I haven't tried yet) it's a useful feature in some (but limited) situations.. for example you're in a seriously crowded parking area, cars are packed in too tight, and there are no "wide open" spaces in sight.

This is because the feature uses the distance between the two cars it is wedging itself in between to find the middle point, not the actual parking space lines. So, if people have been parking less than perfectly (never happens right?), it is going to back you into a "temporarily optimal" position based on the cars next to you. Temporary because if the car next to you leaves the spot, the next car in may decide to park based on car distance or might go for the lines (or just be a moron and park diagonally), and you might be backing your car into a door-dent hazard.

I'm guessing it works best in places where parking lines are ill-defined, cars park too close to each other, yet drivers are generally considerate of not bumping the doors of other cars. Or there could be a case made for just saying it will take the hassle out of backing into a space for you, then you can pull up a little bit and adjust to taste. I end up doing this fairly often anyway anyway (adjust to taste even though I pull in front-first) based on the overhead view.

So, I've recently realized that I love the 3D surround view and Remote 3D view feature of the phone app (being a tech geek that I am), but of most value to me in most situations is the overhead view showing the parking lines, because they help me get perfect "between the lines" (not between the cars) distance every time. If I'm not mistaken this overhead view comes on every car with park distance control? In that regard I'm not sure I would opt for park assist if I were ordering my car again, as I'm not sure I will use it often enough. Again GREAT for impressing friends, watching the car park itself is cool so there's value there -- and again potentially much more value if you parallel park often.

*** Update: I would absolutely order this option again, if for no other reason to get the top-down parking camera view. I did not realize this was only available as part of 3-D surround view at the time I wrote this post ***

Last edited by TheRetroGuy; 04-03-2020 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Learned I wouldn't have the top down view if I had not ordered this feature!!
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #84
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Just noticed the voice activation (Hey BMW) does not work when you are in reverse gear
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #85
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
The 3D view is pretty neat

View post on imgur.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...

Last edited by WhiskyPat12; 03-30-2020 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #86
MineralM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M340xi

The left hand side compartment near your left knee under the steering wheel just happens to shaped perfectly to fit a 9mm.

Convenient for if you have a concealed carry.
Appreciate 9
MurrayB97.50
sikotic482.00
MBM3401022.50
sbstnc0.00
TJZ67201813.50
jp031962.00
      03-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #87
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I learned that my wife is terrified to drive it in Sport+ mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I learned that my wife is terrified to drive it in Sport+ mode.
Epic
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      03-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #88
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
You mean even if I was parked on my minutely inclined driveway? The reason I don’t like auto hold is it seems to sometimes activate even when I’m trying to very slowly creep forward. That’s why I don’t use it often.
I find the auto hold dangerous. I like feeling that creep so I know with these electronic shifters I'm going the way I want.

In the M3 with the Manual it would automatically hold for a second or two (no button) giving you an opportunity to let the clutch out on inclines.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50