Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB4 on G20 330i First impressions

01-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #67
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
Wow, yea that does seem pretty slow especially for your car having x-drive. I need to purchase a draggy to do some test runs.
Yes. It is pretty slow. But then. It's not a prepped track. It's a closed off back road that no one us s anymore because it leads to nowhere. And the road is actually inclined upwards for the most part (even though dragy claims it isn't by showing a negative slope which is suspect because I've done runs in both directions and different cars (on the same road) and the slope reading varied depending on which car I was using and showed negative slope in both directions). So basically I just look at the times from the dragy and don't pay too much attention to the slope it mentions. But even on a drag strip, I doubt my stock car car creep into the 13.xxs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeedge2k1 View Post
i think it's simply because xdrive has more losses and traction generally isn't an issue with 2wd when you're at stock ish 30i power levels. Basically if you're not spinning the tires with RWD, AWD isn't going to improve your times. And even then, if all that there is is a small chirp from the tires, the extra mass/friction from the AWD won't do you any good for straight line accel.

Of course in the snow and whatever all that is a different story
True. We did speak about it. There wasn't any snow. Just gravel and ice. Not enough to break traction though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vTuga View Post
Look on the bright side, with JB4 installed its a completely different car. But even in stock I wouldn't call it slow. 1/4 mile in 14.26s is still a respectable time for a family sedan.
Oh yes. The JB4 has turned it into a different car. I'm not sad. Maybe just a tiny bit. Even if it were stock, I wouldn't care. Because even if my B9 A4 was faster stock, it wasn't anywhere as much fun to drive as my 330i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
This is interesting because all of the reviews by outlets such as MotorTrend said that the claimed 0-60 times came easily and were repeatable. Also, BMW is usually conservative with their claims.
Yes. But I did watch a video by cars.com where they took the M340i and 330i to a drag strip and the 330i did it in 14.1s IIRC. My car isn't too far off but my 0-60 times are horrible. All that changed with the JB4 though.

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #68
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Wow, yea that does seem pretty slow especially for your car having x-drive. I need to purchase a draggy to do some test runs.
Yes. It is pretty slow. But then. It's not a prepped track. It's a closed off back road that no one us s anymore because it leads to nowhere. And the road is actually inclined upwards for the most part (even though dragy claims it isn't by showing a negative slope which is suspect because I've done runs in both directions and different cars (on the same road) and the slope reading varied depending on which car I was using and showed negative slope in both directions). So basically I just look at the times from the dragy and don't pay too much attention to the slope it mentions. But even on a drag strip, I doubt my stock car car creep into the 13.xxs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeedge2k1 View Post
i think it's simply because xdrive has more losses and traction generally isn't an issue with 2wd when you're at stock ish 30i power levels. Basically if you're not spinning the tires with RWD, AWD isn't going to improve your times. And even then, if all that there is is a small chirp from the tires, the extra mass/friction from the AWD won't do you any good for straight line accel.

Of course in the snow and whatever all that is a different story
True. We did speak about it. There wasn't any snow. Just gravel and ice. Not enough to break traction though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vTuga View Post
Look on the bright side, with JB4 installed its a completely different car. But even in stock I wouldn't call it slow. 1/4 mile in 14.26s is still a respectable time for a family sedan.
Oh yes. The JB4 has turned it into a different car. I'm not sad. Maybe just a tiny bit. Even if it were stock, I wouldn't care. Because even if my B9 A4 was faster stock, it wasn't anywhere as much fun to drive as my 330i.

Quote:
This is interesting because all of the reviews by outlets such as MotorTrend said that the claimed 0-60 times came easily and were repeatable. Also, BMW is usually conservative with their claims.
Yes. But I did watch a video by cars.com where they took the M340i and 330i to a drag strip and the 330i did it in 14.1s IIRC. My car isn't too far off but my 0-60 times are horrible. All that changed with the JB4 though.

And just to circle back on your thoughts so far on the JB4 - do you get the impression that the car is handling this power without excess strain on the drivetrain? If so, 4.7 to 60 and 13.1 in the quarter mile simply by an ECU tune sounds to me like having your cake and eating it too.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      01-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #69
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And just to circle back on your thoughts so far on the JB4 - do you get the impression that the car is handling this power without excess strain on the drivetrain? If so, 4.7 to 60 and 13.1 in the quarter mile simply by an ECU tune sounds to me like having your cake and eating it too.
Oh yes. What is funny is. The car feels extremely smooth with the map 6 I'm running. It does not feel strained at all. I expected the car to feel rough or strained but I'm glad to report that that isn't the case.
I have gone WOT a lot when the conditions permit and it does feel like a stock car (refinement-wise). Just the turbo kicking in and the way she achieves high speeds reminds you that it isn't stock (the turbo spooling up isn't that noticeable in my car when it is stock).
An ECU tune probably feels better (the power delivery; not engine refinement). But I have zero regrets getting the JB4
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      01-21-2021, 09:45 PM   #70
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Launch control on a car using all 4 tires is almost always going to be quicker. This is basically proven time and time again even with manufacturer tests. A car needs to hook to take off immediately and xdrive certainly helps. Wheel spin really doesn't have that much to do with power as a slow prius can spin out and go no where and plenty of people have wheel spin with lower HP cars on launches.

On the other hand, I agree that Xdrive isn't going to help much in a rolling race and can slow the car against a RWD version. In that case, the Xdrive isn't going to help much because the 330i doesn't have nearly enough power to cause traction issues on dry surfaces.
Launch control has two parts, the traction control part (to limit tire spin) and the “helping the turbo spool” part.

Limiting tire spin is basically useless on an x-drive 30i since it’s not going to be making enough torque to break traction in dry conditions (except for driveline shocks like dumping the clutch at 3k rpm, a 30i engine only makes enough torque to pull 0.84gs in 1st gear, well within regular street tires’ ability with awd).

The main benefit of LC on an x-drive while stock would be the brake-boosting bit which on a stock 30i (especially vipin’s which seems to make less boost stock than others) isn’t worth all that much.

The “hooking” up bit you mention is I think just racer slang for getting the clutch out asap so you can get on the throttle (and on a turbo car so you start spooling up immediately).

At the end of the day what matters is your tires being able to put down whatever power you’re making onto the road.

Needing to “hook up” is just short form for “get into the power band, forget about the time lost from tire spin, it’s a loss we’re willing to give up because being bogged down in the bottom end of the motor where we make fk all power would be worse”
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      03-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #71
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

Have you done any runs with e85?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #72
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donia330i View Post
Have you done any runs with e85?
Heya. Yes. All my runs on map 7 were with some E85 in the tank along with 93aki (~E22-25).
My slowest run on a hot day with the current map 6 was 13.16s@106mph. My fastest run was on a cold day (12.95s@107.06mph). Highest ever trap speed recorded was 107.50mph. Quarter mile times aren't that great compared to the trap speed because my boost isn't that high in the lower rev range. But car drives very smooth. There's a nice punch after around 2500RPMs. It doesn't feel like it's running a piggy back. If I told people it was a flash tune, they'd probably believe it. That's how good the car feels. Plus logs are healthy with lovely timing, boost on target etc etc.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #73
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

This thread convinced me to grab the JB4 - Should be arriving this week! I gotta say the first couple of pages were a worrying read with the high PSI readings, but glad that has cleared up and your car is still running smoothly since installing.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #74
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan703 View Post
This thread convinced me to grab the JB4 - Should be arriving this week! I gotta say the first couple of pages were a worrying read with the high PSI readings, but glad that has cleared up and your car is still running smoothly since installing.

I'll let you know how it goes!
The high psi numbers were because I was checking out the wrong boost value. Plus it was over boost only while shifting (the app records the highest values and displays it when you double tap the gauge). We've fixed the overboost issue and boost is right on target. Car has no issues. I've taken dozens of logging runs in different temperatures and they're all perfect, especially because I'm running some E85 all the time. All in all, I'm more than happy. Ofcourse, it might not be perfectly smooth like a flash tune but that's a given with piggybacks. It's as smooth as you'll ever get with a piggyback.

Some numbers (best and worst; it's usually closer to the best end when it's cold and worst end when it's really hot outside) from my car with current settings:

0-60 - 4.75-4.85s
1/4th mile - 12.95-13.16s (worst trap speed was 105.x mph and best was 107.50)
100-200kmph - 12.7-13.8s

All runs are dragy verified and done with me plus passenger on board. I've also done around 30 dragy runs with the latest JB4 numbers and it's been consistent. Around 20 logs too, just to make sure everything is fine. And it has been.

I know numbers don't mean much to a lot of people. I've run my logs through virtual dyno (no AWD dyno near where I live) and it shows a really nice curve.

Edit - Just realised my 30 dragy numbers were wrong. The 30 included numbers I tested for other cars as well. On the 330i, it's more like 15-20 at most, with half of them being LC and rest WOT.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige

Last edited by VipinLJ; 03-21-2021 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #75
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The high psi numbers were because I was checking out the wrong boost value. Plus it was over boost only while shifting (the app records the highest values and displays it when you double tap the gauge). We've fixed the overboost issue and boost is right on target. Car has no issues. I've taken dozens of logging runs in different temperatures and they're all perfect, especially because I'm running some E85 all the time. All in all, I'm more than happy. Ofcourse, it might not be perfectly smooth like a flash tune but that's a given with piggybacks. It's as smooth as you'll ever get with a piggyback.

Some numbers (best and worst; it's usually closer to the best end when it's cold and worst end when it's really hot outside) from my car with current settings:

0-60 - 4.75-4.85s
1/4th mile - 12.95-13.16s (worst trap speed was 105.x mph and best was 107.50)
100-200kmph - 12.7-13.8s

All runs are dragy verified and done with me plus passenger on board. I've also done around 30 dragy runs with the latest JB4 numbers and it's been consistent. Around 20 logs too, just to make sure everything is fine. And it has been.

I know numbers don't mean much to a lot of people. I've run my logs through virtual dyno (no AWD dyno near where I live) and it shows a really nice curve.
Sounds good, thanks. Hopefully I don't struggle with the install. Seems pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #76
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good, thanks. Hopefully I don't struggle with the install. Seems pretty straight forward.
The install is extremely easy for me now. I only struggled a little bit when I tried getting the tmap sensor clip off and broke the retaining tab in mine (happened when I tried installing the JB+ for the very first time). Still clips and locks in place though. And I routed the OBD cable via the door jamb. Using that method, the entire install can be done in a minute or two.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #77
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The install is extremely easy for me now. I only struggled a little bit when I tried getting the tmap sensor clip off and broke the retaining tab in mine (happened when I tried installing the JB+ for the very first time). Still clips and locks in place though. And I routed the OBD cable via the door jamb. Using that method, the entire install can be done in a minute or two.
That's the method I did and holy shit! What a difference! The car flies!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:40 AM   #78
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the method I did and holy shit! What a difference! The car flies!!!
Yup. Easiest way to install it. Doesn't take more than a minute or two too!

What map are you running? What fuel? Any other mods?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #79
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yup. Easiest way to install it. Doesn't take more than a minute or two too!

What map are you running? What fuel? Any other mods?
No, the car is about 2 weeks old, so this is the first thing I've purchased. Planning on new exhaust, CAI, springs and a bunch of cosmetics. Want to get rid of all chrome, rear diffuser, front lip, summer wheels, tints next week (35s around).

I'm running map 1 (default, I'd imagine) as I haven't had time to tinker and figure out how to change anything! Still very green to all this... I'm running 93.
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      03-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #80
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, the car is about 2 weeks old, so this is the first thing I've purchased. Planning on new exhaust, CAI, springs and a bunch of cosmetics. Want to get rid of all chrome, rear diffuser, front lip, summer wheels, tints next week (35s around).

I'm running map 1 (default, I'd imagine) as I haven't had time to tinker and figure out how to change anything! Still very green to all this... I'm running 93.
Ahhh gotcha. I'd also get a DP since that will help. CAI won't help much unless you're getting it just for the sound.

Also, de-chroming the car takes looks to a different level. I love a blacked out car.

And map 1 is extremely safe. Map 2 is pretty safe too. Map 3 onwards, you have to look at logs and see if your car likes it or not. It can be fun tinkering with numbers once you know what/how to do.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #81
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh gotcha. I'd also get a DP since that will help. CAI won't help much unless you're getting it just for the sound.

Also, de-chroming the car takes looks to a different level. I love a blacked out car.

And map 1 is extremely safe. Map 2 is pretty safe too. Map 3 onwards, you have to look at logs and see if your car likes it or not. It can be fun tinkering with numbers once you know what/how to do.
Ah yes, DP added to the list. Yeah, the CAI is really just for the sound, but it's not a priority right now.

I've been finding this article quite helpful as a beginner: https://bmwtuning.co/b48-tuning-guide-300whp-for-1500/

But anyway, don't want to derail the thread. I'll continue tinkering with the JB4 and maybe jump to Map 2 as some point. Did you notice a big difference between Map 1 and whatever you're on now?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #82
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, DP added to the list. Yeah, the CAI is really just for the sound, but it's not a priority right now.

I've been finding this article quite helpful as a beginner: https://bmwtuning.co/b48-tuning-guide-300whp-for-1500/

But anyway, don't want to derail the thread. I'll continue tinkering with the JB4 and maybe jump to Map 2 as some point. Did you notice a big difference between Map 1 and whatever you're on now?
Hehe I've read that article too. They have other fun articles as well

And yes. Map 1 to map 6 is noticeable. With map 1, my car was doing 100-200kmph in 15-16s. With the current map 6, my car does it in 12-13s at most. Plus the car feels faster across the rev range. I've only driven a little bit in map 1, just to get logs and performance numbers. I was always in map 2 or 3 until I got my custom map 6. Been doing map 6 ever since.

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #83
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hehe I've read that article too. They have other fun articles as well

And yes. Map 1 to map 6 is noticeable. With map 1, my car was doing 100-200kmph in 15-16s. With the current map 6, my car does it in 12-13s at most. Plus the car feels faster across the rev range. I've only driven a little bit in map 1, just to get logs and performance numbers. I was always in map 2 or 3 until I got my custom map 6. Been doing map 6 ever since.

Very impressive numbers.

Took the MW to the dealer today to quote some bodywork and had to remove the JB4... What a noticeable difference. I thought I was back in my old Dodge Dart for a second (just kidding)!
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      03-22-2021, 10:54 PM   #84
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very impressive numbers.

Took the MW to the dealer today to quote some bodywork and had to remove the JB4... What a noticeable difference. I thought I was back in my old Dodge Dart for a second (just kidding)!
Oh yes. I switched to map 0 in between to do some runs with the car stock. I couldn't wait to get done with the runs and go back to map 6

Undoubtedly a very noticeable difference.

And my videos. Those aren't even the fastest runs. Wish I had my fastest runs on video. But those are possible only when it's real cold outside.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #85
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: alpine white 340xi

Just installed the jb4 on my 2021 330i and I can definitely feel a difference the engine doesn't seem to run out of steam in the higher rpms. I'm running map 3 with 93 octane in my tank is this save to leave as my default map for daily?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #86
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy71195 View Post
Just installed the jb4 on my 2021 330i and I can definitely feel a difference the engine doesn't seem to run out of steam in the higher rpms. I'm running map 3 with 93 octane in my tank is this save to leave as my default map for daily?
You'll be fine in map 3 as a daily as long as you're running 93 octane.
      08-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #87
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: alpine white 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
Quote:
I just did a few full throttle pulls in map 3 and the car had a lose of power and wouldn't shift out of 5th gear I pulled over and popped the head and my turbo was bright red i have no clue what is going on
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 07:02 PM   #88
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
Quote:
I just did a few full throttle pulls in map 3 and the car had a lose of power and wouldn't shift out of 5th gear I pulled over and popped the head and my turbo was bright red i have no clue what is going on
Eh, that's not good. I've had ZERO issues with my JB4 with the other mods. I'd suggest that you remove the JB4 and take it in for warranty service ASAP.