Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Issues you have noticed with your new 3(G20)

07-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Issues you have noticed with your new 3(G20)

Hi All

Thought it would be good to put together a thread with all the post delivery issues/niggles you may have noticed, not straight away but a few weeks/months after you have driven your new baby for a while.

My first issue is :-

1. I was idling the car and I noticed at the rear of the car , underneath where the exhaust is in the centre , there was like a water running sound, this was first thing in the morning when I started the car.
I left it for a few minutes but it did not go away.
It sounded like it came from inside the box where both exhausts join.

Is this normal and has anybody noticed this ?

Aaargh I forgot to mention besides the water sound there is a bit of a rattle , I found this thread/post when I was looking

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665981

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,

There's a loud high-pitched vibration noise I'm hearing from the ?exhaust on cold starts. I've had my car for 2 months and it's done over 3,500km (bought as demo).

I took it to the dealer this week. The service advisor was quite shocked and had never heard it before. It picked it up yesterday with no noise, but it has returned this morning.

This is the job description record: "Carry out start up of the vehicle. No noise present at time of testing. The vehicle had been driven and was warm. Need to perform cold start. Carry out cold start and confirmed noise was coming from the vehicle. Lift vehicle up on the hoist and found the exhaust heat shields loose knocking on exhaust. Carry out refitment of the exhaust shields. Test multiple times all okay."

I've found very few comments on Bimmerpost regarding the same issue, but the thread was more about squeaking noises from the trunk seals.

Anyone else experiencing this? Appreciate your help.

Back to the dealership I go...

First time I have heard it.

Thanks

Last edited by firetitanx; 07-08-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I'll super picky :
- Misalignment of 330e badge
-Didn't save settings : home address and warning off for rear seat belts. Now home address is saved (don't know what I did to fix it) but seat belt still defaults to all 3.
- the engine start up as part of auto stop / start not as smooth and unnoticeable as reviews made it out
- sometimes the charging rate setting drops from desired 8amps (my cable's Max) to the minimum setting of 6amps. If I don't notice and fix, some charging gets done in peak rate times.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

So far so good *crosses fingers*

Being SUPER picky and not all of these are 'issues' just things I don't like.

- at low speed gentle driving and when cold the low speed downshifts can be felt.

- some very very light whining noise from the engine bay on light throttle applications. This is probably normal.

- The silver bits on the dash around the vents appears to be 'galvanised' with a real metal coating as its cold to touch. However, despite this is still looks really really plastic. I'm just glad there isn't much awful piano black.

- there was a rattle around the glove box on very very rough roads. Some jiggling of the latch fixed that.

- hard rubber in the cup holders and console bin and no rubber flooring in the door bins. That's pretty tight of BMW. Much cheaper cars have nice soft rubber.

- when the sunshade retracts the last 10% of the retraction sounds a bit gritty.

- some very slight wrinkling of the leather on the steering wheel, but nothing that bothers me.

- the leather is not very supple. The leather in my old Mazda was softer/more supple.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
So far so good *crosses fingers*

Being SUPER picky and not all of these are 'issues' just things I don't like.

- at low speed gentle driving and when cold the low speed downshifts can be felt.

- some very very light whining noise from the engine bay on light throttle applications. This is probably normal.

- The silver bits on the dash around the vents appears to be 'galvanised' with a real metal coating as its cold to touch. However, despite this is still looks really really plastic. I'm just glad there isn't much awful piano black.

- there was a rattle around the glove box on very very rough roads. Some jiggling of the latch fixed that.

- hard rubber in the cup holders and console bin and no rubber flooring in the door bins. That's pretty tight of BMW. Much cheaper cars have nice soft rubber.

- when the sunshade retracts the last 10% of the retraction sounds a bit gritty.

- some very slight wrinkling of the leather on the steering wheel, but nothing that bothers me.

- the leather is not very supple. The leather in my old Mazda was softer/more supple.
Hi erawamai

Thanks for the points.

"some very slight wrinkling of the leather on the steering wheel, but nothing that bothers me. "

I noticed this too, mine is the bottom right at the 4 o clock mark

I wonder if we need to apply leather conditioner

Yes the leather is pretty hard but maybe thats good , more hard wearing.

Yup the vents do seem super shiny so they look a bit fake

Have not experienced the other points you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #5
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
I'll super picky :
- Misalignment of 330e badge
-Didn't save settings : home address and warning off for rear seat belts. Now home address is saved (don't know what I did to fix it) but seat belt still defaults to all 3.
- the engine start up as part of auto stop / start not as smooth and unnoticeable as reviews made it out
- sometimes the charging rate setting drops from desired 8amps (my cable's Max) to the minimum setting of 6amps. If I don't notice and fix, some charging gets done in peak rate times.
Hi Slideit

I checked for your rear seat belt check for the middle seat it still shows red even though I switched it off on the menu , so same issue as you.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:12 AM   #6
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Hi Slideit

I checked for your rear seat belt check for the middle seat it still shows red even though I switched it off on the menu , so same issue as you.
Thanks BMW, for nothin.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
mines all software related. car position in 360 camera view is grossly inaccurate! issues with navigation on certain roads - thinks the road i am driving on continues into small side streets and keeps asking me to bear right.
taking it into the dealer on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
mines all software related. car position in 360 camera view is grossly inaccurate! issues with navigation on certain roads - thinks the road i am driving on continues into small side streets and keeps asking me to bear right.
Had the heater on pretty high going home last night and when I got home there was a fair bit of water dripping from under the car. Definitely water so I'm 98% sure its from the AC.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yup it seems that most of the issues are software related , I looked at the number of views and posts for the forum threads and the top ones are BMW Delivery (People excited to get their car) and Connected Drive issues
At least there are very few mechanically related issue threads.
Can't complain really about my firmware version but then it's gone through 1 and a half years and many revisions so should be stable now 😄
Appreciate 1
achk132.50
      07-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
The only issues I've had with my M340i over 6 and a bit months of ownership are I-Drive software and Connected Drive App related.
No other problems whatsoever. Car software and all the configurable things work perfectly.
The (Android) App is now very stable and the I-Drive is updated to 03.2020.55 which is also fine. All the Remote Services work perfectly and even Remote 3D view works every time.(even though it displays what looks like a silver 5 series rather than a white 3 series)
There are only a few things on my niggle list now which are:.
1) The car copies music file information like name album track from USB stick into the in car memory. But if you delete the album off the USB stick, the car thinks it is still there and the search function goes crazy. And there isn't a delete function. The Drivers Guide has recently been updated to say you have to see a dealer to get the USB Music file data deleted from the car..ridiculous.
2) You cant use Hey BMW when the car is in reverse. I can see the logic in that but it would be good to be able to set navigation directions when reversing out the drive. Hardly a big problem.
3) Hey BMW won't open or close the sunroof. She says the car isn't equipped with that feature. Pity, as it would be one of the really useful features.
4) In car Wifi doesn't work; I have been told that's because BMW won't pay for the mobile data charges .
5) No Connected Music.. supposedly not be because it won't work in the ANZ market but again because BMW won't pay for the streaming data charges. But can be sort of worked around by streaming from the App on your phone to the car over Bluetooth.

Fortunately the amazingly good things outnumber the niggles. I'm a very happy M340i owner
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      07-11-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
The only issues I've had with my M340i over 6 and a bit months of ownership are I-Drive software and Connected Drive App related.
No other problems whatsoever. Car software and all the configurable things work perfectly.
The (Android) App is now very stable and the I-Drive is updated to 03.2020.55 which is also fine. All the Remote Services work perfectly and even Remote 3D view works every time.(even though it displays what looks like a silver 5 series rather than a white 3 series)
1) The car copies music file information like name album track from USB stick into the in car memory. But if you delete the album off the USB stick, the car thinks it is still there and the search function goes crazy. And there isn't a delete function. The Drivers Guide has recently been updated to say you have to see a dealer to get the USB Music file data deleted from the car..ridiculous.
2) You cant use Hey BMW when the car is in reverse. I can see the logic in that but it would be good to be able to set navigation directions when reversing out the drive. Hardly a big problem.
3) Hey BMW won't open or close the sunroof. She says the car isn't equipped with that feature. Pity, as it would be one of the really useful features.
4) In car Wifi doesn't work; I have been told that's because BMW won't pay for the mobile data charges .
5) No Connected Music.. supposedly not be because it won't work in the ANZ market but again because BMW won't pay for the streaming data charges. But can be sort of worked around by streaming from the App on your phone to the car over Bluetooth.

Fortunately the amazingly good things outnumber the niggles. I'm a very happy M340i owner
Quote:

So happy to hear TikiTourer

I am so enjoying my car I think BMW have really delivered on their "Ultimate Driving Machine" mantra.

Closing in on 1 month of ownership and every day I thank the "Car God's" I chose this car.
On the shortlist were in no particular order :-

1. Mercedes C300(5 years old)
2. Lexus IS350(Very old)
3. Mustang GT (Too powerful, 2+2 seater,2 door)
4. Mercedes A35(Not yet in Oz at time of my order/back/head room tight)
5. Lexus NX-300 (Very old SUV)
6. Honda Type-R Civic( 4 seats only extreme looks, non luxury)
7. Hyundai i30 N (Non luxury)
8. Audi A4(Old shape not sure has it been refreshed)
9. Golf R (Did not feel connection to road)

I am really appreciating how stiff the chassis is and how the car "Moves as one" so to speak.
Happy Driving !!
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      07-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #12
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I am so enjoying my car I think BMW have really delivered on their "Ultimate Driving Machine" mantra.

Closing in on 1 month of ownership and every day I thank the "Car God's" I chose this car.

2. Lexus IS350(Very old)

I am really appreciating how stiff the chassis is and how the car "Moves as one" so to speak.
Happy Driving !!
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

2. Lexus IS350(Very old)

Happy Driving !!
Well that's a very interesting short list. In the last 20 years I've strayed from BMW to an Audi A4 Quattro in 1999 and a Merc C300 in 2012. But otherwise only BMW. I did look at an IS350 in 2017 before buying my F30 340i, but didn't like the Lexus at all. It was too old and dated then and even worse now. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a car with a 15 year old motor in it.
Yes I agree, BMW have done a very fine job with the G20.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #13
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

That's an interesting short list Tikitourer.
There such a huge cross section of different classes as well as a huge price range.

I would never imagined some of those cars being cross shopped. What's the appeal of an old Lexus SUV?

You must have a wide range of driving tastes and styles! 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:57 PM   #14
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

2. Lexus IS350(Very old)

Happy Driving !!
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

2. Lexus IS350(Very old)

Happy Driving !!
Well that's a very interesting short list. In the last 20 years I've strayed from BMW to an Audi A4 Quattro in 1999 and a Merc C300 in 2012. But otherwise only BMW. I did look at an IS350 in 2017 before buying my F30 340i, but didn't like the Lexus at all. It was too old and dated then and even worse now. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a car with a 15 year old motor in it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

2. Lexus IS350(Very old)

Happy Driving !!
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

2. Lexus IS350(Very old)

Happy Driving !!
Yes it took a very long time to decide as it was such a big decision for me
I agree with you on that , the Lexus interior was outdated although immaculately finished and motor/model was very old , I also couldn't get used to the headlights they seemed a bit odd
Also tech was quite old
It did have lots of grunt though

Merc was very nice inside , but ultimately I knew I was not a Merc person , my heart wanted the BM.

I never drove the Audi , sat it in and it was very very fancy .

At the end of the day it's all about the drive if you are a car nut

And it's not just about power , it's about how the power is delivered / refinement /luxury feel/daily drivability /balance/steering feel/ attention to detail/history

After over 40 years, 15 million and 7 generations of building the 3 , I think they have the formula right now 😄
So many factors that contribute to a good drive
All the specs can't tell you that and even the short test drives I did were not enough to get a real feel for the car in a number of situations

They should have a 5 day rental service which you pay for and you can really feel what the car is like 😄 before you make that big decision

But really looking forward to taking the car up some windy mountain passes in sport mode !!
It's very frustrating when the computer tells you your average speed is 15 hahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:29 AM   #15
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
There such a huge cross section of different classes as well as a huge price range.

I would never imagined some of those cars being cross shopped. What's the appeal of an old Lexus SUV?

Quote:

Actually thats my list

The appeal of the Lexus SUV was that it would be the family daily driver and have the space , comfort and luxury for all.

Then I thought wait a minute , I have not had a car for myself since I was a youngling, so what the hell, I will get the car I want so the list expanded to "Performance cars"
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:29 AM   #16
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Actually thats my list

The appeal of the Lexus SUV was that it would be the family daily driver and have the space , comfort and luxury for all.

Then I thought wait a minute , I have not had a car for myself since I was a youngling, so what the hell, I will get the car I want so the list expanded to "Performance cars"
[QUOTE=firetitanx;26426911]
Quote:

Quote:

Actually thats my list

Then I thought wait a minute , I have not had a car for myself since I was a youngling, so what the hell, I will get the car I want so the list expanded to "Performance cars"[/QUOTE

Oops ! Sorry Firetitanx

Can't read the forum posts properly!

Thanks for the explanation.

So you must have 2 cars then. 😉
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #17
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Bmwphile;26427108]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Actually thats my list

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Actually thats my list

Then I thought wait a minute , I have not had a car for myself since I was a youngling, so what the hell, I will get the car I want so the list expanded to "Performance cars"[/QUOTE

Oops ! Sorry Firetitanx

[QUOTE=Bmwphile;26427108]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Actually thats my list

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Actually thats my list

Oops ! Sorry Firetitanx

Hahah yes but the other one is very small , the BM is very practical for space it's actually longer than a Mazda CX-5

Have a look at https://www.automobiledimension.com
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #18
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=firetitanx;26427114][QUOTE=Bmwphile;26427108]

Quote:

Hahah yes but the other one is very small , the BM is very practical for space it's actually longer than a Mazda CX-5

I test the drove the CX-5 Akera.

It was nice and you can tell they are doing the 'Japanese BMW' without the 'German BMW' price which means a bit more fun to drive than the competition. Which is great. Nice steering, nimble and good engine pickup. Nice interior finishings for the price. The last 2 SUV's I drove were competent but just so forgettable.

A ford Explorer in the US (that Ford interior chime is just awful) that just so bland and forgettable in every-way.

A rav 4 all over NZ. So competent at what it does but did nothing in a way that makes me 'love it'. ZERO character plus a really really mean dash rattle.

BUT...packaging is very average.

The CX5 for its size is not large inside. The only advantage is ride heigh for loading and unloading. Otherwise it quite short. I think the wheelbase is about the same as the Mazda 3. Which probably explains why the (very nicely trimmed in Nappa leather) seat had a really short squab, noticeably shorter than the squab in my old Mazda 3 SP25.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #19
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=erawamai;26427292][QUOTE=firetitanx;26427114]
Quote:

Quote:

It was nice and you can tell they are doing the 'Japanese BMW' without the 'German BMW' price which means a bit more fun to drive than the competition. Which is great. Nice steering, nimble and good engine pickup. Nice interior finishings for the price. The last 2 SUV's I drove were competent but just so forgettable.

A ford Explorer in the US (that Ford interior chime is just awful) that just so bland and forgettable in every-way.

A rav 4 all over NZ. So competent at what it does but did nothing in a way that makes me 'love it'. ZERO character plus a really really mean dash rattle.

The CX5 for its size is not large inside. The only advantage is ride heigh for loading and unloading. Otherwise it quite short. I think the wheelbase is about the same as the Mazda 3. Which probably explains why the (very nicely trimmed in Nappa leather) seat had a really short squab, noticeably shorter than the squab in my old Mazda 3 SP25.
[QUOTE=erawamai;26427292][QUOTE=firetitanx;26427114]
Quote:

Quote:

Yup cx5 Akera I test drove it as well I was quite impressed as they put the 2.5 turbo engine from the Cx-9 into it more zoom zoom
But you right pretty small inside
The thing is I did not get that special feeling , I think that's what we are looking for
It was hard to get excited about it
Maybe because when we were young we had the lambo poster on the wall and never a suv hahah

Oh well now "Mission Accomplished"!! Let the driving begin
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:43 AM   #20
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Recall...July...
Tie rods
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:38 AM   #21
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok here is a good niggle.

When you get into the drivers seat, you have to position yourself just right and then try and slip in without hitting the steering wheels with your knees/ legs and scraping your nice leather seats with the metal studs on the back of your jeans.

Above is an old man's problem or applies to some poor soul with a bad back or somebody who has driven an SUV all his life

Think's to himself......" The sacrifice is worth it as this is a sports car "
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:27 AM   #22
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

I'm just sad that drive days and tracks days will be a long long long time away from starting up again
😔
Appreciate 1
francton124.50