Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums CANADA I bought a used M340i and it has issues, plus new drama

07-27-2020, 06:30 AM   #45
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Do you have finance? If so the car isn't yours and as you've provided ample opportunity for your local dealer to fix the issue it's the logical next step.

You'd be surprised how quickly things get turned around when a finance company gets involved. BMW UK are great but some other manufacturers / dealership franchises are a nightmare to deal with, it's definitely not all peaches and roses over here hence the reason I finance.

I hope you get it fixed soon.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #46
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
I was hoping for they would come to terms with their screw up.
Maybe it wasn't a screwup. Maybe they knew exactly the problems the car was having and decided to pass those problems onto you.

Ask/demand to see the car's service history. It might be enlightening.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #47
nirvanabob
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 335i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanabob View Post
Hi there,
I live in Toronto too and I have the same car as yours (demo) only 1000miles when I bought it and I never had any of this issues! Only the brakes whistles sometimes when coming to a stop but that's because of not being to aggressive on them so when I brake harder after a few times the whistles disappear!
I understand your frustration 'cause I had many problem on my previous car 2013 335xdrive!
At that time I ended up doing this:
https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/contact.html
chose product then product also and write your complain!
it will go to BMW germany in the next few hours and first thing in the morning stealership will have it up their asses!
just tell them u brought the car there a couple of times and they're unable to solve any problem, they just keep saying that they fixed the issue!
May I know which dealership are you dealing with?
I hope this is going to help you!

Thanks, and congrats on your BMW. We should drag race sometime. lol
I finally escalated the issue with BMW CANADA!
The email is about 11 months long.

Oh if you want to know which dealer. In my initial post, Click the news article I found about the dealership and you will learn a lot more. Better yet, here it is. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...wice-1.4973924. They also delete my dashcam footage from my GoPro, I had nothing personal on it and I was dealing with a lot at the time so I didn't escalate it. Just wanted my damn car fixed.
Good news! Let me know when you wanna drug race! 🤣lol
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #48
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Maybe it wasn't a screwup. Maybe they knew exactly the problems the car was having and decided to pass those problems onto you.

Ask/demand to see the car's service history. It might be enlightening.
I've been thinking that for a while now. Trying to piece things together. I got a sketchy vibe from everyone but especially the GM Valets and the guy that sold me the car, but we'll never know unless make them take a lie detector test.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #49
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Do you have finance? If so the car isn't yours and as you've provided ample opportunity for your local dealer to fix the issue it's the logical next step.

You'd be surprised how quickly things get turned around when a finance company gets involved. BMW UK are great but some other manufacturers / dealership franchises are a nightmare to deal with, it's definitely not all peaches and roses over here hence the reason I finance.

I hope you get it fixed soon.
It's a lease but I was intending to buy it out if I fell in love with the car. Not anymore, at least not this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #50
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
And THIS..... Is why I buy *new* cars.
0 issues here and saved $13k by purchasing used. Ill take that savings 10/10 times. OPs problem is right here " I didn't really get a chance to test drive it properly because I was in a rush and was told it was mint." Big mistake...
Appreciate 3
Bobh5952.00
EXE462097.00
      07-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #51
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good, let's take them to the track once I get things resolved.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #52
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETES_M340i View Post
0 issues here and saved $13k by purchasing used. Ill take that savings 10/10 times. OPs problem is right here " I didn't really get a chance to test drive it properly because I was in a rush and was told it was mint." Big mistake...
Yeah, The car belonged to the General Manager of Sales. A fellow Korean brother. I didn't expect to get duped by him.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #53
nirvanabob
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds good, let's take them to the track once I get things resolved.
Yes!!! Let me know!
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #54
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, The car belonged to the General Manager of Sales. A fellow Korean brother. I didn't expect to get duped by him.
Glad you learned but never rely on someone to be good to you because they are of the same ethnicity. Some may be offended that you don't trust them because their parents happened to be from the same country your parents came from, but that shouldn't be the case. There's probably a very good reason why that car was put up for sale with only 5900km on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #55
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Glad you learned but never rely on someone to be good to you because they are of the same ethnicity. Some may be offended that you don't trust them because their parents happened to be from the same country your parents came from, but that shouldn't be the case. There's probably a very good reason why that car was put up for sale with only 5900km on it.
Well said.

I think in order to be leased as a "demo" car it has to have less than 5k miles in the US (assuming the equivalent in KM's) so I'm guessing that's probably why it was put up for sale. Still doesn't mean the GM didn't know about these issues tho. Hope OP gets this ironed out asap
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #56
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I did get to drive it lightly, but I didn't get to truly test it because the sales guy braced himself every time I went over a little rough surface. Also, they had the car parked in a way that I could drive it straight out, so I never had to crank the steering fully, let alone get a chance to dry steer it. I remember turning AutoH on, but the sales guy had me turn AutoH off. I'm assuming that he knew that is when the braking issue is most apparent.
AutoH is my favourite feature, love not having to hold the brakes at red lights. Still, that luxury has turned into an annoyance because it doesn't release until after I accelerate from a complete stop, so it makes that annoying sticky brake sound every time I stop or start with it on. Make sense? The brake should be released before I'm about to drive off, and engage after I come to a complete stop, but it does the exact opposite. The car also jolts shockingly hard when I put the car in park, and the Ebrake is automatically engaged. Pretty hard to explain or understand unless I show you. It's my damn luck!

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-28-2020 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:37 PM   #57
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Bmw canada's response!

Quote:
Hi there,
I live in Toronto too and I have the same car as yours (demo) only 1000miles when I bought it and I never had any of this issues! Only the brakes whistles sometimes when coming to a stop but that's because of not being to aggressive on them so when I brake harder after a few times the whistles disappear!
I understand your frustration 'cause I had many problem on my previous car 2013 335xdrive!
it will go to BMW germany in the next few hours and first thing in the morning stealership will have it up their asses!
just tell them u brought the car there a couple of times and they're unable to solve any problem, they just keep saying that they fixed the issue!

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

It was with great disappointment that we read of your concerns regarding your service experiences with Parkview BMW. BMW Canada strives to provide you with not only a premium vehicle, but also a premium experience each and every time you interact with one of our authorized retailers. We cordially suggest that you work with the service management team at Parkview BMW to discuss your concerns and seek a resolution, as they are in charge of the day-to-day operations of their service center. It is important to note that, as each authorized BMW retailer is independently owned and operated, BMW Canada is not in a position to influence their decision on this matter. We hope you understand our position in this regard.

With your permission, we would be happy to forward your comments directly to the service management team of Parkview BMW, and request that they contact you. Please reply to this message to confirm whether you would like us to take this action on your behalf.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Levi Fagnan
BMW Canada

So basically they can’t do anything.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #58
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=NorCalAthlete;26484453]1. Raise hell
2. Name the dealer so we all know whom to avoid.

PARKVIEW BMW!
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #59
3erMan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
It is a mistake, yes. But here's a little anecdote that might make one wonder whether there's a reliable way to minimize the risk of buying used.

I once bought a used car which, at the time of my purchase, was about 2 years old and had about 20,000 miles. I bought it from a dealer, and I got a chance to inspect it about as thoroughly as I could. Even though there was no evidence it was a smoker's car (I'm a non-smoker and pretty disgusted by having my own things smell like cigarettes), I asked the dealer whether there was any indication of prior smoking. Of course, the answer was "no." Hold on to this thought for a moment.

Several years later, I noticed a tad bit of rust under the lip of a rear wheel well. Even though I'd babied the car and waxed it regularly, I never noticed the faintest of scratches on the underside of the wheel wells. I surmised that these were caused by the prior owner having installed some too-wide aftermarket tires, thus scraping the paint slightly. And I mean slightly. But, unfortunately, just enough to trigger some oxidation under the paint. Oh well, my bad for not noticing.

And the car being a non-smoker? This thing must have been cleaned better than any smoker's car I've ever been in, because I never noticed that it had been smoked in. That is, until a few years later when a guest in my backseat noticed the faint outline of something in a vent cover on the ceiling light. He pryed the plastic slightly only to find . . . a cigarette butt. Nice. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

That was still a pretty nice car, but I've decided that I'll pay a premium to avoid unknown risks in the future. (Plus, I really like new car smell, in spite of my handle name.)
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #60
nirvanabob
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi there,

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

It was with great disappointment that we read of your concerns regarding your service experiences with Parkview BMW. BMW Canada strives to provide you with not only a premium vehicle, but also a premium experience each and every time you interact with one of our authorized retailers. We cordially suggest that you work with the service management team at Parkview BMW to discuss your concerns and seek a resolution, as they are in charge of the day-to-day operations of their service center. It is important to note that, as each authorized BMW retailer is independently owned and operated, BMW Canada is not in a position to influence their decision on this matter. We hope you understand our position in this regard.

With your permission, we would be happy to forward your comments directly to the service management team of Parkview BMW, and request that they contact you. Please reply to this message to confirm whether you would like us to take this action on your behalf.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Levi Fagnan
BMW Canada

So basically they can't do anything.
So tell them to take action and contact the dealer! For sure they gonna contact you ASAP and they gonna ask you to come back to fix the problem! Let's give them the last chance, then if they don't fix it you should change the dealership!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #61
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So tell them to take action and contact the dealer! For sure they gonna contact you ASAP and they gonna ask you to come back to fix the problem! Let's give them the last chance, then if they don't fix it you should change the dealership!

They already know about all the issues. I dont want them to get pissed and fuck me over more, so I told BMW Canada to hold off on forwarding my complaint. because they will see everything I've posted. They agreed.

Waiting until next week for a the shock mounts to come in. Hopefully that fixes the steering noise. After that, I'm raising hell to get my floor board fixed and then going to another dealer and double-check what they did.

I told the other about my issues and they said they will give me a loaner with a 5000k deductible. It better be an M8 Competition. One little scratch I'm out 5k. insane!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:24 PM   #62
nirvanabob
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They already know about all the issues. I dont want them to get pissed and fuck me over more, so I told BMW Canada to hold off on forwarding my complaint. because they will see everything I've posted. They agreed.

Waiting until next week for a the shock mounts to come in. Hopefully that fixes the steering noise. After that, I'm raising hell to get my floor board fixed and then going to another dealer and double-check what they did.

I told the other about my issues and they said they will give me a loaner with a 5000k deductible. It better be an M8 Competition. One little scratch I'm out 5k. insane!
Alright! Keep me updated
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:53 PM   #63
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarSmell View Post
It is a mistake, yes. But here's a little anecdote that might make one wonder whether there's a reliable way to minimize the risk of buying used.

I once bought a used car which, at the time of my purchase, was about 2 years old and had about 20,000 miles. I bought it from a dealer, and I got a chance to inspect it about as thoroughly as I could. Even though there was no evidence it was a smoker's car (I'm a non-smoker and pretty disgusted by having my own things smell like cigarettes), I asked the dealer whether there was any indication of prior smoking. Of course, the answer was "no." Hold on to this thought for a moment.

Several years later, I noticed a tad bit of rust under the lip of a rear wheel well. Even though I'd babied the car and waxed it regularly, I never noticed the faintest of scratches on the underside of the wheel wells. I surmised that these were caused by the prior owner having installed some too-wide aftermarket tires, thus scraping the paint slightly. And I mean slightly. But, unfortunately, just enough to trigger some oxidation under the paint. Oh well, my bad for not noticing.

And the car being a non-smoker? This thing must have been cleaned better than any smoker's car I've ever been in, because I never noticed that it had been smoked in. That is, until a few years later when a guest in my backseat noticed the faint outline of something in a vent cover on the ceiling light. He pryed the plastic slightly only to find . . . a cigarette butt. Nice. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

That was still a pretty nice car, but I've decided that I'll pay a premium to avoid unknown risks in the future. (Plus, I really like new car smell, in spite of my handle name.)
Used cars are simply not good for some people. It's not worth the angst and anxiety you get if you're a tad too OCD. I'd rather just buy new and hold on to the car for a long time. After enough years, the difference in price is negligible.

These days detailers can use ozone generators to kill any smoke residue. The problem is that these ozone generators are harsh on soft plastics and rubbers prevalent on the interior of our cars. The dashboard will get hard and look much older than it should and the leather with plastic coating will look older and be much stiffer. I've tried a used car and i will not do it again. It's just not for me.
Appreciate 3
      07-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #64
3erMan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Used cars are simply not good for some people. It's not worth the angst and anxiety you get if you're a tad too OCD. I'd rather just buy new and hold on to the car for a long time. After enough years, the difference in price is negligible.

These days detailers can use ozone generators to kill any smoke residue. The problem is that these ozone generators are harsh on soft plastics and rubbers prevalent on the interior of our cars. The dashboard will get hard and look much older than it should and the leather with plastic coating will look older and be much stiffer. I've tried a used car and i will not do it again. It's just not for me.
I'm with ya. Fortunately, I'm at a place in life where I can absorb the initial hit from depreciation.

And, the ozone cleaning might explain why several areas of the interior suffered from delamination. The shift knob, steering wheel area around the buttons, and the plastic around the door pull all had plastic delaminating from them. All fixed under the remaining term of the warranty, but still. Not worth the headache, and certainly not conducive to my OCD!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #65
GaoKS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 Raptor

I asked in a previous post but want to ask again so I can understand.. the groaning noise that you're concerned with in your video that occurs when you're turning the wheel while stationary - I'm guessing this is when you're in reverse or drive and holding your foot on the brake, correct? Does the noise still exist when you turn the wheel with the vehicle on but in park and your foot off the brake?

BMW Past Rides: 2023 G80 Comp, 2023 G80 xDrive, 2021 M3 Comp, 2020 M340i, 2019 540i, 2016 M4, 2016 535i, 2008 545i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #66
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
Hey fellow Torontonian.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with after-sales service.
I can't be much help but I did speak to a guy before that had a lawsuit with BMW regarding a lemon and won (old days, E9x M3, but it was purchased new).
Perhaps it might be in your interest to speak to a lawyer and see what can be done there.
I think I was mistaken when I quoted the miles. Taking another look at the quote saying the car had 3500km, but I think that was just an rough estimate. I believe it had more than that. Can I get this lawyer's contact info?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0