Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Dinan Stage 1 E85

11-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #23
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H433x0n View Post
It’s a flash tune. There’s no added hardware, just pump E85 into the tank.
Wow! Incredible....
      11-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I went back and looked at the Dinan dyno - because let's face it I want to believe that I can drop e85 in the tank and get 500+ WHP with a simple flash. If it's that easy I am going to throw some money at Alex and politely ask that he do the same for me

That said if am I reading their dyno correctly (and I think I am) their stock WHP on 93 octane was 394WHP (wow). And the net gain with the E85 tune was 109 WHP over that stock number to get us to the advertised 503 WHP.

Again I want this all to be true but I'm waiting to see how the numbers play out over time - For reference, I gained 124 WHP on basically 93 and a tune (for a total of 470ish) so the overall gains of 109 WHP seem reasonable to me but that starting number of 394WHP is higher than I've ever seen.
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 11-03-2020 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Added some red circles and lines to the graph :)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #25
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Interesting. I am going to have to try and see if I can find an AWD dyno and get mine dynoed on 93 just to see how it does.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #26
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Interesting. I am going to have to try and see if I can find an AWD dyno and get mine dynoed on 93 just to see how it does.
That would be great - more info we can all share the better
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #27
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
394whp would be similar to F80 comp if that's true...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #28
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I went back and looked at the Dinan dyno - because let's face it I want to believe that I can drop e85 in the tank and get 500+ WHP with a simple flash. If it's that easy I am going to throw some money at Alex and politely ask that he do the same for me

That said if am I reading their dyno correctly (and I think I am) their stock WHP on 93 octane was 394WHP (wow). And the net gain with the E85 tune was 109 WHP over that stock number to get us to the advertised 503 WHP.

Again I want this all to be true but I'm waiting to see how the numbers play out over time - For reference, I gained 124 WHP on basically 93 and a tune (for a total of 470ish) so the overall gains of 109 WHP seem reasonable to me but that starting number of 394WHP is higher than I've ever seen.
I can’t say definitively, but I’m almost certain that the baseline wasn’t 394whp. If I remember right it was like 362whp/398wtq, although that may have been in 4th gear.

I don’t think a stock dyno pull of 394whp is repeatable or a typical result. This probably had modified hardware and not running pump gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #29
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H433x0n View Post
I can’t say definitively, but I’m almost certain that the baseline wasn’t 394whp. If I remember right it was like 362whp/398wtq, although that may have been in 4th gear.

I don’t think a stock dyno pull of 394whp is repeatable or a typical result. This probably had modified hardware and not running pump gas.
I tend to agree with that (and it makes 100% sense to me too) but when they were asked they confirmed it was a 5th gear pull (which is what they shared on their dyno). No big deal I mean I want to believe that those end results are real (because I want to believe that is a safe option for us - regardless of the tuner you choose)...I just think we need some additional information/clarification from Dinan.

To me a lower baseline number combined with their shared end result would make a lot more sense, the delta would be larger and more in line with what I would expect. And in the end better for them! But I am no expert so I'll keep looking around for info

Anyhoo - I'll tag them here so maybe they can provide some clarity

Dinan_Engineering

ps- I'm not Bronson Dixon (in the pic) just grabbed that for the question and response
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #30
chriskeefe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15' BMW F80 M3

FWIW 4th gear all stock on the same M340i made averaged peak numbers of 399wtq/369whp uncorrected - same dyno on both 91 and 93 Oct.

I can also verify the Dinan Stage 1 E85 posted results are in 5th gear and is our port flashed ECU tune. Reason the results were posted in 5th gear was majority of the calibration was done in 5th gear w. the ZF-8 speed which is geared closer to 1:1. Grabbing all the final power outputs for the 5 available octanes in the different gears (afterthought) would have been a PITA in the very end. P.S. If you have a manual car you very well could make slightly more power than advertised.

Any specific questions you guys have I can answer or Nathan (Dinan Engineering) will pass on to me and we will get answered for you guys.

Last edited by chriskeefe; 11-05-2020 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: added word "averaged" for political correctness.
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #31
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeefe View Post
FWIW 4th gear all stock on the same M340i made peak numbers of 399wtq/369whp uncorrected - same dyno on both 91 and 93 Oct.

I can also verify the Dinan Stage 1 E85 posted results are in 5th gear and is our port flashed ECU tune. Reason the results were posted in 5th gear was majority of the calibration was done in 5th gear w. the ZF-8 speed which is geared closer to 1:1. Grabbing all the final power outputs for the 5 available octanes in the different gears (afterthought) would have been a PITA in the very end. P.S. If you have a manual car you very well could make slightly more power than advertised.

Any specific questions you guys have I can answer or Nathan (Dinan Engineering) will pass on to me and we will get answered for you guys.
What Chris said. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #32
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

chriskeefe
Dinan_Engineering

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #33
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
FWIW 4th gear all stock on the same M340i made peak numbers of 399wtq/369whp uncorrected - same dyno on both 91 and 93 Oct.

What Chris said. Thanks man!
Release date?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #34
SuprBmwG20
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw G20 M340i

Quote:
FWIW 4th gear all stock on the same M340i made averaged peak numbers of 399wtq/369whp uncorrected - same dyno on both 91 and 93 Oct.

Any sneak peaks, pricing or release date ready for the CAI?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
Release date?
I do not speculate on release dates for software as there are simply too many variables. All I can say is callibration is done and internal emissions testing should be done within the next two weeks which just leaves us with the delivery method/vehicle as the long straw remaining. Lots of folks working on that angle currently with the obvious goal of a full OBD solution for all years/variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprBmwG20 View Post
Any sneak peaks, pricing or release date ready for the CAI?
Soon. Definitely will see it before the end of the year but hopefully much sooner than that (Thanksgivingish). Going through its internal emissions testing cycle now. On the pricing front lets just say its extremely aggressive. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised there.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #36
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:

Can you guys confirm that this running pure E85? If so, we're any modifications other than a tune performed? Lastly, which isn't as relevant I guess, what are you guys seeing fuel economy is? I know mixing e85 with 91 drops MPG significantly curious as how this will effect it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #37
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaabi View Post
Can you guys confirm that this running pure E85? If so, we're any modifications other than a tune performed? Lastly, which isn't as relevant I guess, what are you guys seeing fuel economy is? I know mixing e85 with 91 drops MPG significantly curious as how this will effect it.
It is full E85 - and I have come to understand that the results are in line with what other tuners have achieved when testing full e85 on the M340.

That said I for one will be very surprised if Dinan (or any other of the major tuners) brings full e85 to market as a mainstream offering for daily driven cars (just my 2-cents)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #38
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Quote:
It is full E85 - and I have come to understand that the results are in line with what other tuners have achieved when testing full e85 on the M340.

That said I for one will be very surprised if Dinan brings this to market as a mainstream offering for daily driven cars (just my 2-cents)
Mixed driving, I'm seeing about 350 miles per tank but depends on other factors as well. So mixing e85 I've fears ppl are seeing about 250 miles per tank. So at this trend, with pure e85, you'll see 150 miles per fill up? This is completely hypothetical, just curious on how practical it would be.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #39
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Full E85. Besides the tune the only other modification on the car was the Dinan exhaust (effectively an axle-back). Personally never looked at fuel economy if I am being honest but I would have to imagine its ~200 miles to the tank. Not great, but E85 has never been about ideal fuel economy either.

Quote:

That said I for one will be very surprised if Dinan (or any other of the major tuners) brings full e85 to market as a mainstream offering for daily driven cars (just my 2-cents)
The intent is to bring it to market so I guess prepare to be surprised. =)
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #40
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Full E85. Besides the tune the only other modification on the car was the Dinan exhaust (effectively an axle-back). Personally never looked at fuel economy if I am being honest but I would have to imagine its ~200 miles to the tank. Not great, but E85 has never been about ideal fuel economy either.

The intent is to bring it to market so I guess prepare to be surprised. =)
I am fine with that I like surprises
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #41
mitchm340
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Dinan_Engineering , chriskeefe

Any updates on the flash tune? What are the 93 octane numbers looking like? Can we expect something before the end of the year?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #42
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchm340 View Post
Dinan_Engineering , chriskeefe

Any updates on the flash tune? What are the 93 octane numbers looking like? Can we expect something before the end of the year?
Rough maximum gains on 93 are +50WHP / +60WTQ. The car and a few others are going to Road Atlanta this Friday for some final track testing/abuse and then its some final emissions testing when it gets back. As far as calibration goes at that point it is completely done. As for release-- it could potentially be released by the end of the year in some form but I would not commit to that. I know better. I think its more likely its Q1 2021 given the holidays and limited personnel around for the last of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #43
tlipcsey
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

So what i'm hearing is..
This car is under rated by about 80-90 crank hp.... 382 BMW advertised.
Will the 93 octane tune that adds 50hp be supported by BMW warranty?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #44
RoroBoost
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Rough maximum gains on 93 are +50WHP / +60WTQ. The car and a few others are going to Road Atlanta this Friday for some final track testing/abuse and then its some final emissions testing when it gets back. As far as calibration goes at that point it is completely done. As for release-- it could potentially be released by the end of the year in some form but I would not commit to that. I know better. I think its more likely its Q1 2021 given the holidays and limited personnel around for the last of the year.
Will this be supporting catless Downpipes? Should we just get a high flow one to match the tune?
Appreciate 0