Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Couldn't wait any longer...decided to Mod my car lol

11-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Couldn't wait any longer...decided to Mod my car lol

So, I'm pretty new to the whole forums thing, but I definitely like the feedback and experiences people have to share.

I have a build I am going to do for this car and it's nothing too crazy. Its just enough to make this car a fun an enjoyable daily driver.

I only have 3800mo on the odo.

my commute to work is only 3mi. you guys have an idea of my driving looks like on a daily.

YES, it is a lease.

NO, I'm worried lol

Here is what my end build is going to be.

Tune - Mission Performance Stage 2
I am choosing this mainly bc I hear good things and tbh Chenry and all his posts definitely got me haha you can almost hear the confidence thru his posts, but MP also has a name for itself as well so for that reason I am going to go thru them over a BM3 tune.

Downpipe - AA from Mike over at X-PH
For the deal thats going on right now, its a good value and at the end of the day the downpipes are going to typically be the same and also get the same performance gains imo you pay for the brand, but definitely don't want to go cheap

Already have BMS Intake Billet

Exhaust is up in the air. I am going to see how the car sounds with just the tune//downpipe//intake and go from there.
I was going to go with the Axel Back Dinan Exhaust, but the main thing that is making me change my mind is the cutting. I am still considering it, but AWE may be the one I get if I do bc as I mentioned before, it is a lease and I would have to take all of this off and I don't want to weld the stock exhaust back on.

I can't find any charge pipes for this car so if anyone has any good recommendations please let me know!

Also going to be putting in an the BMS Oil catch can.

Cosmetically, I do have a 2020 M340i with Cerium Grey, which I will black out and also get a front splitter and M3CS style CF spoiler.

I may be missing something, BUT above is ultimately what I will be doing here in the next couple of months.

HERE IS WHAT I DID NOW

I put on the JB4 Stage 2 on w/ the BMS intake I put on first

I haven't had any issues with JB4 on any of my previous cars and if people pull up im rippin with them if they are down haha so that gives you an idea of how i drive the car. I don't mash it all the time, but I do drive it like a BMW. This is in regards to the reliability of the JB4 and the S55/B58 combo in my experience.

Here is my small review on the JB4.

Its faster.

it for sure pulls harder and the response is linear. I would say it feels better on the M340i as opposed to the F30 340i.

MAP1

I think MAP1 is +3psi from stock and its a bump from stock. You feel it through all the gears and tires break from a dig. Intake noise is way louder and you can also hear the waste gate dump all the pressure as well when you pull and let go of the gas. Comfort mode feels like sport mode. Sport+ feels like a sport++ if that makes any sense lol the pops and burbles sound really good too. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd to 2nd around that 3500rpm sounds really good imo I got alot of pops and bangs that i never heard before. this also happens on MAP2 as well.
Overall, this to me is a good map to be on driving around town and be on all the time.

MAP2

DIFFERENT. I think this is +4psi from stock. Comfort mode is faster w/ more throttle response off the rip. Intake noise is also louder too which is always nice. SPORT+ wakes the car up on MAP2. If you floor it from a dig the tires will break. I was consistently posting 20psi on every pull. I did launch the car on warm tires after several pulls and the car went sideways. I had the stock rtf from the dealership and they did really well for run flats. I'll be replacing those once they go bald with some Michelins. MAP2 feels pretty aggressive and in Sport+ it really makes a difference thru each gear when you pull.

Overall, this will hold me over until I can get in with MP and Alex to get it tuned and I will be taking the JB4 off. Next i will be putting on the downpipe and will be giving you guys an update.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions!!
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      11-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
SemtexGT
Romanian Spy
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Here are some good charge pipes:

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...pipe-a90-supra
https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...-charge-pipe-1
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemtexGT View Post
do they both fit on the the g20?

or is it just the 2nd link?
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

oh my b they both fit thank you!
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
SemtexGT
Romanian Spy
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Nono, it's two separate parts, one before and one after the turbo. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Sounds like you have a good path you're going down and making good decisions along the way both cosmetically and mechanically. I am glad I was able to help in some small way

Your DP are you going catted or catless? Either way I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how nice the stock muffler sounds combined with a DP (remember we don't have resonators in the M340). And with the MP tune my car pops bangs etc (no I do not have burble) in sport+ and sport and then quiets right down in comfort - I love it in that it gives me the best of both worlds. But acceptable sound volume is so subjective so I'll be anxious to hear (no pun intended) what you end up with.

ps - I see you are in SoCal - as many people here know I am always happy to connect with people so if you are ever by Huntington Beach, feel free to drop me a line and I'll give you the keys to my car if it helps with any decisions you are contemplating.

Fun times ahead for you
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Do you have EWG connector on JB4? That bridges the gap in JB4 only performance and flash maps by a good amount. And when you're over worrying about warranty or lease they have free MHD flash maps you can load. Pretty good value there as you only have to pay the MHD flash license and don't need to buy map packs or logging tools.
Appreciate 1
bSwiazzy200.50
      11-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Do you have EWG connector on JB4? That bridges the gap in JB4 only performance and flash maps by a good amount. And when you're over worrying about warranty or lease they have free MHD flash maps you can load. Pretty good value there as you only have to pay the MHD flash license and don't need to buy map packs or logging tools.
Why don't they do it for the B46?!? I know we are plebs but we like speed too!!!

And I agree. The EWG actually made my car slightly smoother. There was also an annoying power loss (?)/torque reduction/boost difference when my car shifted at WOT on a custom map. The EWG connector fixed that problem for me. No more jerks while up shifting at WOT. Totally love it!

Makes the car even better if you could get some 93octane and E85.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Why don't they do it for the B46?!? I know we are plebs but we like speed too!!!

And I agree. The EWG actually made my car slightly smoother. There was also an annoying power loss (?)/torque reduction/boost difference when my car shifted at WOT on a custom map. The EWG connector fixed that problem for me. No more jerks while up shifting at WOT. Totally love it!

Makes the car even better if you could get some 93octane and E85.
My car sometimes does this going into 3rd if I mash the throttle from 2nd and mine is stock. It's def not every time and launch control remedies this but I do get the torque/boost control feeling you're mentioning and have seen others mention this previously on their B58.

I know we have diff engines but any idea what it could be?
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      11-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
My car sometimes does this going into 3rd if I mash the throttle from 2nd and mine is stock. It's def not every time and launch control remedies this but I do get the torque/boost control feeling you're mentioning and have seen others mention this previously on their B58.

I know we have diff engines but any idea what it could be?
I remember reading about a torque limiter in 3rd and 6th? That might be why? Or it could be because of the difference in boost (higher boost at a higher RPM range and that boost falling when upshifting to a lower RPM)? Or it could be something else totally. I've also begun noticing it in my SQ5 now though it seems to be amplified in that car. Totally stock though.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #11
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://burgertuning.com/products/n5...nt=18543513219

is this what you are talking about?
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #12
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Sounds like you have a good path you're going down and making good decisions along the way both cosmetically and mechanically. I am glad I was able to help in some small way

Your DP are you going catted or catless? Either way I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how nice the stock muffler sounds combined with a DP (remember we don't have resonators in the M340). And with the MP tune my car pops bangs etc (no I do not have burble) in sport+ and sport and then quiets right down in comfort - I love it in that it gives me the best of both worlds. But acceptable sound volume is so subjective so I'll be anxious to hear (no pun intended) what you end up with.

ps - I see you are in SoCal - as many people here know I am always happy to connect with people so if you are ever by Huntington Beach, feel free to drop me a line and I'll give you the keys to my car if it helps with any decisions you are contemplating.

Fun times ahead for you

yea i think im going with a catless downpipe i always did haha

and for sure man i appreciate it!
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #13
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bSwiazzy View Post

Yup. The B58 version from the drop down box.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 12:44 AM   #14
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yea i think im going with a catless downpipe i always did haha

and for sure man i appreciate it!
You got it you're welcome

Good choice - I went catted but at times I question why (I was concerned about smell in confined spaces due to a friends catless car). Buuut really not all that bad

I'm sure the forum will benefit from your feedback as your build progresses - I look forward to your updates along the way. And again if you want to hear catted with stock exhaust or drive the difference between a piggyback and MP come to HB and grab my keys
Appreciate 1
bSwiazzy200.50
      11-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #15
TurbroMeca
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Chenry, is your exhaust the MPE? I’ve got the MPE and am definitely leaning towards a catted dp. Does anyone have any sound clips? Will mission performance tune out the crackles and pops? My ‘21 burbles nicely with MPE but I really can’t stand the loud cracks on some cars that are tuned with a catless dp. I know a lot of guys love it but I’m just not a fan. Anyway to the OP my plans are essentially the same as yours so I’ll be looking forward to your experience!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Downpipe - AA from Mike over at X-PH

We also offer FTP charge pipes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
bSwiazzy200.50
      11-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #17
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:

Yes it lets the JB4 directly adjust wastegate duty cycle, so when you're using good gas, can crank up the boost!
Appreciate 1
bSwiazzy200.50
      11-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #18
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbroMeca View Post
Chenry, is your exhaust the MPE?
No not MPE I just have the standard muffler combined with the catted DP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbroMeca View Post
Will mission performance tune out the crackles and pops? My ‘21 burbles nicely with MPE but I really can’t stand the loud cracks on some cars that are tuned with a catless dp.
That's a really good question - and while I can't answer directly, for what its' worth I can tell you that both my B58 equipped cars did not get any louder with the tune. My car does pop and bang somewhat aggressively upon down shift and in Sport/Sport+ and quiets right down in comfort and eco. But in that I have an older version of BMW software in my car that's exactly what it did before the tune. That said I did ask for no burble added and to get rid of the cold start.

But I know I'm not really answering your question...maybe give Alex a call next week and let us know what you find out I would be curious to hear what he has to say
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #19
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
No not MPE I just have the standard muffler combined with the catted DP.
That's a really good question - and while I can't answer directly, for what its' worth I can tell you that both my B58 equipped cars did not get any louder with the tune. My car does pop and bang somewhat aggressively upon down shift and in Sport/Sport+ and quiets right down in comfort and eco. But in that I have an older version of BMW software in my car that's exactly what it did before the tune. That said I did ask for no burble added and to get rid of the cold start.

But I know I'm not really answering your question...maybe give Alex a call next week and let us know what you find out I would be curious to hear what he has to say
Did you install your DP or did you have the dealer install? If you had it installed, what did install cost run you?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #20
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

We also offer FTP charge pipes
should i get the 2 piece charge pipe or the single one?

i was trying to figure out what the difference was?
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #21
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it lets the JB4 directly adjust wastegate duty cycle, so when you're using good gas, can crank up the boost!
fosho good looks appreciate it!
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #22
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is peak boost at 25psi!

i think that was too much and it was only 1 time, but its consistent on MAP2 20psi

what i forgot to mention is that if you guys do decide to go with JB4 MAP2 feels more of a jump from stock to MAP1 than from MAP1 to MAP2

to me that 1psi of boost felt more of a change when i swtiched from MAP1 to MAP2

although the JB4 wont be a longterm thing, its good enough for now
Attached Images

2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0