Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

11-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Out of Touch BMW

BMW pushes weirdly hostile marketing campaign to say you're dumb for thinking the iX is ugly

Who's driving the ship in Munich?
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

This just screams of desperation. Instead of letting the design language sit with people for a year or two and then reassess they make dumb comments like this. It's almost as if they looked at the M3/M4 and said "we know what you want". It doesn't work that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Out of touch with whom or what? China is their biggest market and they love big grills/stand-out styling there. I hope they reconsider, though, or at least make small-grill versions too. Even if I don't think the "big" grills are atrocious, I certainly will never love them.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Obviously i like the grill on the new G22 enough that I bought one, and I’m just an old conservative. I don’t think this is as much a Chinese thing as others seem to think. Looking at the best selling cars in China, most don’t even have huge grills. I have to guess that BMW knows exactly what it is doing with the new styling language on all of their cars. I don’t, but I’d bet they do. Geez, I don’t understand luxury SUVs but BMW apparently does since those represent the largest share of their U.S. sales, or should I say leases.

That said, I think engaging in a social media pissing match is a PR blunder. Just stupid.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Out of touch with whom or what?
Out of touch with the primary demographic who still has the bulk of disposable income for these cars. The median age of car buyers in the U.S. is 55 years old. Above the median are all Baby Boomers, who they mock in their twitter response. Insulting and being condescending to the primary market is not often the most successful approach. If BMWNA thinks otherwise, they are clearly out of touch with their customers, regardless of the shape of the grille.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
drexplode1779.00
      11-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

My thoughts.

I can understand where they want to go with iX in the target market. Is it the approach I would initially do? No.

As you know my feeling towards social media are not of particular favour. It reflects a growing marketing trend to aim at the social media mindset which for some it absolutely works in regards to brand promotion. I don't feel an actual car should be marketed out to the social media because social media isn't as representative of the real world as many would have you believe.

What has twitter become but a platform for hate. People say the most despicable things that they get free reign and a platform to abuse others. This has become so acceptable in our society that it is being normalised and acted out in some cases extremely violently.

Now look at what they have done in regards to iX? Now these have been outsourced externally,some have worked in the cars favour such as the 6 part series and indeed the Christoph Waltz test drive which I am reading is being favoured because of the sight of the inner machinations of the four cylinder HQ in Munich.

The use of language and behaviour is important in marketing and using social media insults such as "Boomer" is not favourable to that traditional customer who has been with the brand over 50 years of their life. I agree with the concept regarding "change" but not the execution.

The car was shown in Berlin amongst other manufacturers (Where I saw EQS and why I do say EQS is a game changer for the segment and indeed the S-Klasse where they can be both winners and losers.)
The iX also is a game changer as for now it's a flagship until we get the i7 which will spearhead BMW's GKL segment.

Now yes people were favourable of the car it's potential and it's philosophy and why it matters for the next decade but here you are talking to more of the typical customer. When it compares to other factions where politics are spearheaded by millennials and underdeveloped ideas and solutions. Cars like the iX are purely aimed and marketed at millennials which as you can see is alienating the actual customer.

The problem I see here in Berlin is that there is no interest as the industry is the enemy. We have gone beyond the purpose of the electric car to say the curtain has been pulled back in regards that infrastructure takes centre stage as you have to get from one end of the spectrum to the other and of course there are hurdles and many are seen as more harmful to the environment.
They are hoping in regards to a similar scenario with i3 and i8. These cars brought in new customers as well as convincing BMWs older and traditional customers to change.

Slow starts aside but i3 is now exceeding its targets. So much so that discussed at launch a further update is planned so the car will be with us a little longer.

The iX is conceived to attract new customers to the brand just as well as traditional customers. Generally I think iX will attract new customers but not necessarily be the target customer. I have seen this before with other BMWs.

I agree with the concept of the marketing regarding "change" as it sums up the revolution in process. But not the execution.
mlello16.50
Nahlem1144.00
      11-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Somebody at BMW is actually going back and forth with people on twitter? LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Strangely I heard this same refrain from buyers when GM launched the C7 and again with the C8, and I will hear it again when introduce an Hybrid or full EV version of the Corvette.

There are plenty of other cars to purchase if one feels the BMW is so distasteful. If BMW feels the hit financially they will do another re-design, but my guess is, this is what they offer, so you either like it and buy it, or you don't and shop elsewhere.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Strangely I heard this same refrain from buyers when GM launched the C7 and again with the C8, and I will hear it again when introduce an Hybrid or full EV version of the Corvette.

There are plenty of other cars to purchase if one feels the BMW is so distasteful. If BMW feels the hit financially they will do another re-design, but my guess is, this is what they offer, so you either like it and buy it, or you don't and shop elsewhere.
Agreed. Not sure why people spend so much time on these things and take it personally while adding their own commentary like they speak for everyone else.

If you don't like something, say you don't like it and move on. Saying BMW is out of touch works both ways because the argument can be made that everyone here is out of touch if you want BMW to keep rehashing the same design over and over again regardless of how nice it may look especially on a forum of enthusiasts that make up a tiny percentage of BMW sales globally.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Agreed. Not sure why people spend so much time on these things and take it personally while adding their own commentary like they speak for everyone else.

If you don't like something, say you don't like it and move on. Saying BMW is out of touch works both ways because the argument can be made that everyone here is out of touch if you want BMW to keep rehashing the same design over and over again regardless of how nice it may look especially on a forum of enthusiasts that make up a tiny percentage of BMW sales globally.
The issue has two points. Agree about the design aspect. I just find it hard to imagine handing over a large 5-figure sum to a company who essentially mocks my existence simply due to my age.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25059.00
tetsuo1111227.00
      11-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #11
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I honestly didn't take any offense to what BMW wrote anymore than if GM tweeted the same about the C8.

I wonder if we would hear the same angst about BMW's comment if it had a similar grille to 3 or 8 series?

Venturing a guess, I would say no because arguably, in all other respects, the new 4 series is a better car than the outgoing model.

FWIW, I was playing with the configurator on the BMW Website and saw that adding the Shadowline to the 440 really tones down the grille especially with a darker color. Audi and Lexus both have huge grilles in comparison to the 4 series..

Last edited by USA-RET; 11-27-2020 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Venturing a guess, I would say no because arguably, in all other respects, the new 4 series is a better car than the outgoing model.
Well the F3X set a pretty low bar honestly...
tetsuo1111227.00
      11-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I resemble that remark about not liking the huge new grills. I considered a 430 but went with an M340 in no small part because I like the grills better. Just my .02 - middle aged guy here.
      11-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #14
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Couldn't agree more. The current design path BMW is taking is the wrong one. The bold advertising campaign doesn't help the cause either.

Current styling seems like a gimmick and reeks of trying too hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #15
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I'd wager that each change BMW made over the years (as far as grilles design) met with plenty of disdain................and yet here we go again.

https://www.motor1.com/news/414634/b...ign-evolution/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 01:50 AM   #16
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/tester's-notes/matt-prior-bmw-ix-design-proves-different-isnt-always-better
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I brought my 2017 M240i in for service the other day and saw a 430i on the showroom floor. It was a darker color with the M sport package and the shadowline package (front grille not outlined in silver) and the car looked very nice. In person, the new 4 series is a very attractive car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I brought my 2017 M240i in for service the other day and saw a 430i on the showroom floor. It was a darker color with the M sport package and the shadowline package (front grille not outlined in silver) and the car looked very nice. In person, the new 4 series is a very attractive car.
So your current car is going out of warranty. Are you trading it in for a new 4 series?
Appreciate 1
MBM3401026.00
      12-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think the campaign is asking a simple, straightforward question. And the simple straightforward answer is: the cars are ugly!
Appreciate 1
MBM3401026.00
      12-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
So your current car is going out of warranty. Are you trading it in for a new 4 series?
I am considering a new 4, but waiting for the i4 (next year). Much depends on pricing and range. Otherwise I really like the everything I see on the i4.

My 2017 has a Dinan tune and intake and only has 7900 miles. So it's not going to wear out anytime soon.

If my dealership can make me an attractive enough deal, I would consider trading to a M440i (or even a 430i - as I find I'm not putting my foot into the car as much as I thought I would (basically never more that 1/2 or 2/3 throttle even with my 2er).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #21
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am considering a new 4, but waiting for the i4 (next year). Much depends on pricing and range. Otherwise I really like the everything I see on the i4.

My 2017 has a Dinan tune and intake and only has 7900 miles. So it's not going to wear out anytime soon.

If my dealership can make me an attractive enough deal, I would consider trading to a M440i (or even a 430i - as I find I'm not putting my foot into the car as much as I thought I would (basically never more that 1/2 or 2/3 throttle even with my 2er).
Wait six months or so and I suspect they will make you an attractive offer.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #22
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Slow starts aside but i3 is now exceeding its targets. So much so that discussed at launch a further update is planned so the car will be with us a little longer.
If they do plan on refreshing the i3 for another go i do sincerely hope they update the tech to the newest and greatest including a new ACC and such because the tech on the i3 is starting to show its age.

I got mine i3s in 2019 but it feels interior/tech wise the car is old and in a way it kinda is.

But the fact is true what you are saying scott they are selling like hot cakes now, my father was one of the early adopters of the i3 when it came 2013-2014 and he has kept with his i3 and changed to the 2019 version lately he is planning on switching once more to the i3 if they refresh and they add a larger battery to reach 450-500 km that will sit perfect on this car for its weight and such. Because construction wise the i3 is brilliant with its carbon for keeping the wight down.

A larger battery with this carbon construction the i3 is a very capable car but the tires needs to be looked over though good grief how small they are.

And i hope asides from BMW's marketing as of now the i4 will be a great car the first of many that BMW will bring to the new market with EV drive that will directly be a competitor to other in their own lineup of cars.

Beating Tesla might be hard at first cause BMW is playing catch up, but another 5 years i think BMW will succeed in getting close to Tesla.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0