Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
OTA Update 07/2020.80

I'm currently on 11/2019.20

Just got the update notice this morning on the BMW connected app.

Right now, knock on wood, I don't have any software goblins or issues with my current version. Don't need android auto or anything else this update offers.

I have zero desire to update given the track history of these software changes messing stuff up.

Now just to double check, the latest update locks the DME and what not. Also, some have reported the exhaust note completely changes. I have an early build 2020 M340i with MPE. If this update changes that ill drive her off a cliff ffs! Without the exhaust greatness I might as well as go back to my Lexus. (I'm kidding, no going back to Lexus )

What are your thoughts? Are you going to update or sit where you are now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
      12-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I just wanted to say, I bought my 3/2020 build on 9/2020 and it was already updated. The exhaust has plenty of burbles and pops.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

I upgraded mine and saw no difference in the exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner View Post
I upgraded mine and saw no difference in the exhaust sound.
Same here with a May 2019 build, did this in summer....

Ps. No going back to Lexus lol..
      12-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

The people who report their exhaust note has changed are folks who can't help but find issues with their vehicle and will fabricate them if nothing exists.

Just drive the car. The updates are fine.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
The people who report their exhaust note has changed are folks who can't help but find issues with their vehicle and will fabricate them if nothing exists.

Just drive the car. The updates are fine.
AMEN Brother!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I'm going to assume you both have updated from an early firmware and noticed absolutely no change to exhaust note (burbles pops all that good stuff) right?
Definitely not one to fabricate crap but I also don't want one the top reasons I purchased my car to be taken away via some software update.

Another question. I have an early build 2020 M340i with the older Bosch ECU. Can this or any new update lock things down to prevent flash tunes even with the older ECU?

Love my car, the exact way it is now.

Now, lets pour ourselves a stiff egg nog and rum.

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
sikotic488.00
      01-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
I'm going to assume you both have updated from an early firmware and noticed absolutely no change to exhaust note (burbles pops all that good stuff) right?
Definitely not one to fabricate crap but I also don't want one the top reasons I purchased my car to be taken away via some software update.

Another question. I have an early build 2020 M340i with the older Bosch ECU. Can this or any new update lock things down to prevent flash tunes even with the older ECU?

Cheers!
I'm with you 100% on this. Did you ever end up installing the update? I just got the same update last night and I'm a little hesitant to go through with it. It looks like no-one else had any issues in the previous comments but wanted to double check.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Quote:

Cheers!
I'm with you 100% on this. Did you ever end up installing the update? I just got the same update last night and I'm a little hesitant to go through with it. It looks like no-one else had any issues in the previous comments but wanted to double check.
I had no issues with this update here in Canada.
Car sounds the exact same.. Car is a 2020 build
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #10
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
Nope. Even took her in for my first oil change and told the SA not to update it at all.
I'm in no rush to update. If it ain't broke kinda deal. I have an early build 2020 with MPE and it sounds frickin awesome!!
Plus, I don't want my DME locked which will happen if updated. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:31 AM   #11
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
Just curious, what version were you at before the update? My car came with 11/2019.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
Just curious, what version were you at before the update? My car came with 11/2019.
Same spec software as you when I purchased . Really no difference at all after the update. It's unfortunate for some European owners because of noise regulations (don't believe it's applicable here in NA) but I don't understand spending this kind of money on a car because of how it sounds. It should be about the whole package. You can get all the exhaust noise you wish from after market if thats what makes you happy. Of course that is just my personal opinion. I love my M340xi. Perfect combination of what a sports sedan should be. I think it's the complete package.
Appreciate 1