Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Digital key phone how to lock

01-11-2021, 04:46 AM   #1
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Digital key phone how to lock

Hey guys I started using the iphone digital key but I can't figure out how to lock the car. I hold the phone close to the door but doesn't work, does anyone have any hints? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:59 AM   #2
Spartanets
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-Sport

Here works every time for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #3
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I put my phone there, while it's unlocked,right, I move it around etc but it just doesn't connect... Do you have to open your phone, do you have to open bmw app or apple card app or?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
g21xtro
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 - G21 330e xDrive Touring

It was kind of misleading at first but then it worked each time..

Put your finger on the small strips on the door handle for 1-2 seconds. If it does not close put your phone/watch near the handle and retry with finger on the small strips. (Don't touch the handle elsewhere, just the small strips on the top/inside part)

Also the phone has to be unlocked if you don't have the Express mode for the Wallet BMW key (talking about the iPhone/iOS).

For the iWatch it has to be unlocked also.

Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Alright finally got the hang of it, I think, thanks, however now I have another problem, when I unlock my car with my digital key it defaults to a guess user, which means it resets the position of my seat and everything, is there a way to tie the digital key to my driver's profile?

Found it, Car > Driver Profile > Select your profile > push the stick to the right > Driver Recognition > with digital key.

Last edited by FrostNixon; 01-11-2021 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
g21xtro
Romania
Rep

Unfortunately this is a big problem for me also. The car won't recognize the profile with the digital key or the comfort access system. The option you mentioned works only with the BMW digital keycard. This is mentioned in the car manual.

The only way I found that the driver profile gets recognized with 2020/07 software is by using the regular KEY. (In my case it works just with 1 key, but I presume I might have registered with just 1 key in the profile, I have to try to have both keys and make the profile registration again).

This is surely a thing I hope BMW gets solved in the next updates. Also the Driving Assistance system is highly annoying by reseting each time you close the car (I want to disable the lane assistance intervention and I'm unable to save this to my profile).
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

I managed to set my driver's profile to my digital key. I remember it took some time to set it up and I think I had to turn off the car, but basically these are the steps I did:
Unlocked with phone
Started with phone
Selected my profile, unlocked with PIN
Stopped
Went to settings, with car off
Went to Driver recognition
Set the digital key
Didn't work
Removed the phone and set it again and then put the phone again and it worked.
20/07 here

Still hard to get used to locking and unlocking, always have to touch the small strips and this is not mentioned in the manual lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
g21xtro
Romania
Rep

:FrostNixon

It worked for me also.. It seems I may have paired the BMW Digital Key on my profile prior to pairing the iPhone Digital Key. It clearly says at pairing it works just with one digital key.

Though using the same key on both the iPhone and iWatch the profile does not get recognized on iWatch.

What I have not managed to accomplish with digital key is opening the tailgate. You have to open the car normally and then go to the tailgate and press the opening switch. If you find any other solution I would like to know about it.

Thanks. My regards.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've tried some stuff but there's nothing for the tailgate, best way is to unlock from app while walking to the car and then foot movement or manual press...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #10
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm beginning to think that there is something wrong with my doors module. I move the phone around I hold it I touch the top of the handle with the stripes and it just refuses to lock or unlock, it works rarely at best, however it instantly gets recognized in the wireless charging tray...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #11
g21xtro
Romania
Rep

To unlock you don't have to put your finger on the strips. It just unlocks after it recognizes the digital key. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to recognize it but it does each time. You could try to touch the handle (not the stripes) for opening. This is due to comfort access. The stripes touching is just for closing. Sometimes I touch the stripes and I then have to put the phone near the handle to have the car closing.

Don't touch the stripes when opening as you'll close the car again.

Hope I've been clear enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:33 AM   #12
sjdhatters
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series Saloon

Is it only Iphone? Just taken delivery of this weekend and got Connected Drive email saying Iphone only. Rang CD and they confirmed. Yet I received a help video that demos using a Samsung. Bimmertech says its compatible with Android too. All very strange. And Dealer had no idea about Digital Keys at all! Any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:43 AM   #13
g21xtro
Romania
Rep

From what I know, at this moment digital key works just on iPhone. Most probably this is due the fact that iPhone offers additional security measure.

You can find more info here:
https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...w-car-key.html
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:11 AM   #14
sjdhatters
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series Saloon

I have seen that. Its so contrary to info given at the time of the order.
First there is this:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...mw-digital-key

Then this help video that shows a demo using a Samsung (Android) phone.

Perhaps is this to do with latest Digital Key? Older models will work on Android? Very confusing from BMW
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:18 AM   #15
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm using an iphone, seems like the method is different, found out you must not hold the phone sideways, you need to point with the top of the phone as you would with a TV remote, and then get it close to the door handle's right side...
Appreciate 0