Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
BMW invests billions in digital car sales

Translated using GTranslate from a Norwegian source:
https://www.dn.no/motor/bmw/bilbrans...alg/2-1-945610

[IMG]https://images.dn.no/image/cTFVZlZaW...ge_version=640[/IMG]

BMW invests billions to digitize car sales. This year, electric car sales will double.

- We have never sold more cars than in the fourth quarter last year. This growth will continue, and an important part of this is electric cars. We will sell twice as many electric cars in 2021, says Pieter Nosa, who is a board member of BMW with responsibility for customers, brands and sales - and in practice deputy commander of the German car giant.
BMW's sales figures in the fourth quarter ended at 4.3 per cent compared with the previous year, after good growth in the Asian market. Both in the US and Europe, sales fell, and for the whole of 2020, the BMW group, including the brands BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce, ended up with 8.4 percent.

New strategy

In addition to new electric car models, a new digital strategy will ensure growth in 2021.

- We have seen changing customer needs, also now during the corona pandemic. In collaboration with our dealers, we want to give customers the opportunity to buy the car completely digitally and have it delivered to your door. We are now investing a triple-digit million in euros each year until 2025 to provide the best digital customer experience, Nosa said during a conference call on Friday.

When asked how the dealers will fare when the manufacturer itself takes over a lot of sales and updates, Nosa claims that the dealers will still have an important role for BMW.

- It is based on our relationship with the dealers, and they will help during all steps in the sales process. The dealers will have a very important role in service, says Nosa.

New opportunities in new electric cars

In addition to an easier way to shop cars online, BMW's upcoming models will also be updated online, among other things so that customers can buy additional services over time. This applies to both the electric SUV iX and the sedan i4, both of which will arrive during 2021.

- We will offer many exciting solutions, such as sound packages, light packages, attenuation, cameras and driver assistance systems. The BMW iX will be a leading model for this, says Nosa.

The BMW iX will be a large SUV with four-wheel drive, 500 horsepower and a range that is stated to be over 600 kilometers. The car will be BMW's technological flagship, and will be launched in Norway in November. Then it will be BMW's fourth all-electric model, after the i3, iX3 and i4.

In 2023, BMW says they will have 23 electrified models, half of which will be fully electric. BMW finished in fourth place among passenger car brands in Norway with 9625 registrations in 2020. Over 60 per cent of these were rechargeable hybrids, just under 30 per cent were the electric car i3 and only around ten per cent were petrol and diesel cars.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Might be in relation to this (I wonder why they call him Nosa instead of Nota, is that a typo or a norwegian language thing?): https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ail/T0324293EN
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Might be in relation to this (I wonder why they call him Nosa instead of Nota, is that a typo or a norwegian language thing?): https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ail/T0324293EN
Yeah, probably a typo

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

The National New Car Dealer Association in the US would definitely put a stop to any implementation here.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Seems inconsistent in the US with the decision of BMW to end European Delivery and to make ordering a car more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:29 AM   #6
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
And that my friends is why this will be my last BMW. I will drive this one with the B58 for six years are so and then go back and buy a 2019 Porsche to finish out my driving days. I don't want electric cars. I want to HEAR my car when I press the go pedal.

I weep for the future car lovers. Their cars may be fast, but if you think Formula E is as good as F1 was in the 80s and 90s when I would get to the track and hear the V10 and V8 cars that revved to 21k RPM being warmed up in the mist of the morning, you are smoking CRACK.

I had this:

The future has this:

What a complete farce...

Last edited by MBM340; 01-17-2021 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Agreed, F1 is something special.

Thankfully you still have options.
Appreciate 1
MBM3401022.50
      01-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM340 View Post
... to finish out my driving days. I don't want electric cars. I want to HEAR my car when I press the go pedal.

...you are smoking CRACK.
After your lifetime of driving, you've concluded that if we don't happen to agree with you about the relative importance of motor sound, something is wrong with us?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
After your lifetime of driving, you've concluded that if we don't happen to agree with you about the relative importance of motor sound, something is wrong with us?
I have concluded a great many things. One of which is that the sound of a car and even moreso a racecar is primarily what makes it such a visceral experience.
And although it was said tongue in cheek, yes, if you think sound doesn't matter in a car or during a race weekend you are missing out on one of the very real joys of life.

A similar example might be made out of a manual vs automatic. I see you drive a 6MT. Every car I have owned sans three in my life were MT. I would say that the experience you get driving a MT is VERY different and better in SO many ways to a slush box. Woudn't you agree? I would say that people who have never driven a car with a MT are also missing out on something very special that automatics just don't have...

The sound of a V12 or V10 at 20000 RPM is just special and something electric cars will never have.

Last edited by MBM340; 01-17-2021 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM340 View Post
I have concluded a great many things. One of which is that the sound of a car and even moreso a racecar is primarily what makes it such a visceral experience.
And although it was said tongue in cheek, yes, if you think sound doesn't matter in a car or during a race weekend you are missing out on one of the very real joys of life.

A similar example might be made out of a manual vs automatic. I see you drive a 6MT. Every car I have owned sans three in my life were MT. I would say that the experience you get driving a MT is VERY different and better in SO many ways to a slush box. Woudn't you agree? I would say that people who have never driven a car with a MT are also missing out on something very special that automatics just don't have...

The sound of a V12 or V10 at 20000 RPM is just special and something electric cars will never have.
The difference between us is not that I lack strong preferences or appreciation of some very engaging aspects of automotives. I completely respect your personal preferences and don't doubt your enjoyment. I've attended my share of F1 events and I am far more interested in watching than listening. That's just me.

I, however, believe my preferences are purely subjective and I would not presume that anyone else who doesn't share them is "smoking crack" or be so condescending to assert they are "missing out" if they have already decided differently. We each find our joys of life that please us. Your "visceral" may be their headache. My enjoyment of MT is my wife's nightmare if in what she drives. MT isn't "better"; it's just different. No preference is right nor wrong and all are worthy of respect. I enjoy satisfying my preferences but would not impose them on anyone else and then, if not shared, find them lacking.

I think this is a matter of extending respect to others who feel differently and not assuming everyone must share my values.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-17-2021 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #11
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The difference between us is not that I lack strong preferences or appreciation of some very engaging aspects of automotives. I completely respect your personal preferences and don't doubt your enjoyment. I've attended my share of F1 events and I am far more interested in watching than listening. That's just me.

I, however, believe my preferences are purely subjective and I would not presume that anyone else who doesn't share them is "smoking crack" or be so condescending to assert they are "missing out" if they have already decided differently. We each find our joys of life that please us. Your "visceral" may be their headache. My enjoyment of MT is my wife's nightmare if in what she drives. MT isn't "better"; it's just different. No preference is right nor wrong and all are worthy of respect. I enjoy satisfying my preferences but would not impose them on anyone else and then, if not shared, find them lacking.

I think this is a matter of extending respect to others who feel differently and not assuming everyone must share my values.
All of our opinions are subjective and obviously we disagree. I am sure you know people who don't like race cars that actually make sounds, but I am confident from my discussions with a great many in the racing business and fans, that most of us actually don't want silent cars or racecars. You are of course free to feel as you do, that is what makes this a great place to discuss things. Have a good evening.