Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Massachusetts registration?

03-11-2024, 04:59 PM   #1
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Massachusetts registration?

I've talked to 10 different people who give me 10 different answer. I purchased a car from a New York Bmw dealer and need to register it in Massachusetts. This has to happen before I can go get it and drive it home. I have the rta form completely filled out. The Rmv is telling me I need to show proof of ownership but can't tell me what that means. Does anyone here know exactly what is needed to register this vehicle? There is a partial loan on the vehicle so I do not have the title.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 05:02 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
In most places a copy of the purchase agreement will be sufficient.
      03-11-2024, 05:54 PM   #3
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I think most states give a grace period to register after selling, but its been my impression that there are laws that require dealers to fill out and send in registration paperwork with a sale?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 06:59 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
I've talked to 10 different people who give me 10 different answer. I purchased a car from a New York Bmw dealer and need to register it in Massachusetts. This has to happen before I can go get it and drive it home. I have the rta form completely filled out. The Rmv is telling me I need to show proof of ownership but can't tell me what that means. Does anyone here know exactly what is needed to register this vehicle? There is a partial loan on the vehicle so I do not have the title.
Disclaimer: Here's the 11th answer.

It's a pain buying an out of state vehicle and bringing it back to MA. It's easier if you are trading in (or have sold your previous vehicle). In those cases, you can transfer the plate with a 7 day grace period to register the new car. But that is only the case if you lose possession of the old car (sold or traded in).

If you need new plates, you need to insure and register before you can drive it home. And it's difficult to register without a bill of sale (or signed over title) since you have not yet taken possession. A purchase agreement from a dealer may hold more weight. Have you tried this?

When I purchased a used BMW from an NYS private party (also with a loan), I wanted to look at the car, test drive it, and buy it all in one trip. I also needed new plates because it was an additional vehicle. When I looked into this issue, the conventional wisdom was you either need to drive back "illegally" and chance it, or make two trips. I took plates off the car in my driveway, made sure I added the new car to my insurance policy and drove the car home (as safe as I could). Swapped the plates back and drove my other car to the RMV to register the new car, and walked out with new plates, registration (after paying MA sales tax).

I have also anecdotally heard that police have no way of verifying whether you sold or traded in the other vehicle, so as long as it's within 7 calendar days, you should be OK. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:57 PM   #5
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Not sure but does NY offer temp tags or transport tags? Last car I bought was in RI and I got 30 day temp tags which were more than enough time to get stuff done at Mass's most favorite place.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 08:37 PM   #6
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
Have you asked the dealer in NY for assistance?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:42 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Get MA temp tags if possible. If not borrow a truck and trailer and drive it back.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 06:44 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

This link:

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-fo...-from-a-dealer

if you scroll down the link provides info on what is required when purchasing a vehicle out of state.

Added: I have bought several cars out of state. Lived in MO and bought a car, 2 cars, in KS. Then more recently living in AR bought a car in KS, another in CO, and the most recent car (2023 M2) I bought in MO.

I had a bit of problem getting a title to a couple of cars because the bill of sale didn't show I had paid for the car in full. I gave the dealer a personal check for the balance but the bill os sale didn't reflect this.

I didn't notice this and registered the vehicle and surrendered the title -- which I received by mail some days after the purchase and after my check had been processed and cleared -- and AR rejected my application for a title because according to the BOS it looked like I owed for the car. I had to request a corrected/updated BOS from the selling dealer.

Last edited by RockCrusher; 03-12-2024 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:35 AM   #9
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Get MA temp tags if possible. If not borrow a truck and trailer and drive it back.
No temp tags available in MA. They only have temp tags for non-residents to buy a car in MA and legally drive it back to their home state: https://www.mass.gov/doc/non-residen...icate/download
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:52 PM   #10
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Why are you doing paperwork. Shouldn’t the dealer be making this happen for you? That’s what “dealer fees” are for, I would expect them to handle the registration.

Side note, former MA resident now living in SC……the DMV in this state is a billion times better to deal with the MA. From extremely short wait times to quick processing. Everything is easier and more efficient.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 09:53 PM   #11
bk_mike
|
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550ix

The dealer should be able to get a NYS "Interstate In Transit Permit" for you.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-...-registrations

Its not done often and they are more annoying than other states temp tags but its possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:10 PM   #12
Nighthawks
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 540xi

Gosh. Can you get the car on flatbed truck?

I hated the RMV. What’s worse in NC’s DMV.
Appreciate 0