Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition The Running Thread

03-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #89
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
IF you have the time, walking can be every bit as effective, like mentioned above. 500 calories is 500 calories, whether you walked or ran. Now, does walking get you the same residual results of building lean muscle and extending that calorie burn, I can't say.

As is recently evident, walking could be MORE beneficial in the long run, if you avoid injury and stay on track more consistently.

Dang, I'm not sure I DRIVE 70 miles a week
This is true (as far as I know) for walking vs. running. The other thing on walking is that if you do it at a big incline (7%+), it can have similar effects as running on the muscles, but with less impact.
      03-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #90
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Ran 5 miles yesterday. Anyone else tight as all hell their first mile? I swear the hardest part of my run is that first mile, after I get through that then I am good to go. Only stopped at 5 miles because I got a little bored on the threadmill. Was at 8mph for majority of the run, finished at 9mph and some change.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #91
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Ran 5 miles yesterday. Anyone else tight as all hell their first mile? I swear the hardest part of my run is that first mile, after I get through that then I am good to go. Only stopped at 5 miles because I got a little bored on the threadmill. Was at 8mph for majority of the run, finished at 9mph and some change.
Starting is usually the hardest part, so I don't think it's all that uncommon to feel that way. I can usually get muscularly loose with a good pre run warmup, but it does take time for the cardio and respiratory systems to open for anyone I'd imagine.
      03-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #92
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Agree with both comments - the first mile is the most difficult. Not only the motivation to actually get out there and get going, but also to have the muscles/body "wake up" and be ready.

I use a combo of stretching and active stretching to get loose prior to the run. More if I know I am going to try and run quickly (as opposed to a slow, just get miles in run).
      03-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #93
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Hit 300 miles on the year yesterday. Keeping up with goal...
      03-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #94
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I am a fat, old, non-aerobic, nearly disabled by PF fuk. 5K took me 40 minutes last night. AMAZING in a negative way what happens after just over 2 weeks of no running of any kind. Soccer was cancelled due to rain and then COVID. Time I spent on vacation there were no running opportunities that I took advantage of. Just can't see running in Vegas. Then last week, coming back from vacation to a changed world, I just didn't make time until last night.

THIS close to hanging up both running shoes and cleats.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #95
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
I am a fat, old, non-aerobic, nearly disabled by PF fuk. 5K took me 40 minutes last night. AMAZING in a negative way what happens after just over 2 weeks of no running of any kind. Soccer was cancelled due to rain and then COVID. Time I spent on vacation there were no running opportunities that I took advantage of. Just can't see running in Vegas. Then last week, coming back from vacation to a changed world, I just didn't make time until last night.

THIS close to hanging up both running shoes and cleats.
Don’t get discouraged man, time and speed is all relevant. It’s the sense of accomplishment and how well you feel when you run plus the countless health benefits. Just run to enjoy it and clear your mind. I feel you sometimes but in a different way from little injuries off and on and throwing off my training. Running 70 miles a week is already tough and beats me down when I can’t run. I really was hoping to get under 1:15 half marathon this year and have been training like crazy only to see all the races are cancelled now.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      03-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #96
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Don’t get discouraged man, time and speed is all relevant. It’s the sense of accomplishment and how well you feel when you run plus the countless health benefits. Just run to enjoy it and clear your mind. I feel you sometimes but in a different way from little injuries off and on and throwing off my training. Running 70 miles a week is already tough and beats me down when I can’t run. I really was hoping to get under 1:15 half marathon this year and have been training like crazy only to see all the races are cancelled now.
+1 - keep at it.
      03-31-2020, 11:44 PM   #97
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

5 minutes shorter on my 5k than last week, but still 5 slower than I was doing

The first k my PF was KILLING me. I almost stopped

Came home for overhead 18lb ball lifts, and strained my inner thigh

Old sucks
      04-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #98
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
5 minutes shorter on my 5k than last week, but still 5 slower than I was doing

The first k my PF was KILLING me. I almost stopped

Came home for overhead 18lb ball lifts, and strained my inner thigh

Old sucks
Can't say I have had PF, so I don't know the pain you are feeling with that. Sounds awful. That said, good for you for keeping going.

I, too, am finding recovery takes a bit longer than it used to. I am working to listen and take more days off as necessary. Working on varying workouts as well.
      04-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #99
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

About the same pace tonight, little further. Pain was there. Kept having to walk 50-100 ft then pick up again. I had a date with some raw cow flesh and needed to get home!!!
      04-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #100
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Meant to post this a couple of days ago. Kept up with goal progress by doing just over 100 miles in March.
Attached Images

04-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #101
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Meant to post this a couple of days ago. Kept up with goal progress by doing just over 100 miles in March.
Nice job man that’s awesome, getting some good paces in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #102
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Here is my updated stats for March, not happy with the mileage little low but had some things come up that held me back a little. Stats are still on point and feel good there but gotta get the mileage back into the norm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      04-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #103
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Are all of those distance times from March?

51 miles per week is a ton!
      04-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #104
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Are all of those distance times from March?

51 miles per week is a ton!
I wish they were all in March but no there not. All the races are cancelled now which sucks. I train a lot and feel I was read for another great race season. These times are merely my stats over a 12 month span. Overall I’m happy with the Marathon time...could be better but I’m good. 10k and half Marathon is where I’m mad at myself, they should be better and think I could crush em both this year with the right race and right conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #105
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Ran 5.75K last night. No PF pain!!! I wore my boot to bed last night, only minor PF soreness this morning.

For the "residential" areas I wore my cotton "mask" It was a bit difficult to breath, but not because of obstruction of the airflow. Each time I inhaled, the cotton would begin to enter my mouth. That action on my lips triggered a natural response that something foreign was coming, and I'd stop the inhalation. Once I got to the long, field roads, I pulled it down.

I was about :45 off my race time from December, and about 1:30 off some of the training times I had done since then. My earlier frustration was that I was comparing my total time to my 5K race time, but training runs were longer
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #106
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Awesome that you had no PF pain!

I have not run in a mask yet (been running outside on trails), but I have been using a mask elsewhere (grocery shopping, etc.).
      04-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #107
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

I have not run in a mask yet (been running outside on trails), but I have been using a mask elsewhere (grocery shopping, etc.).
Some of my favorite dirt single track is lucky pretty isolated, so it's rather convenient for staying socially distanced at the moment. Trail running is one of the only things that almost feels normal for the time being. Got myself a little extra motivation with some new trail shoes
      04-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #108
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

PF ache to start. Lengthened my stride thinking I'd get less strikes. Bit slower too

Only stopped on the hill home (should have switched to shorter stride) and at 5k mark, thanks to this thread

I ALMOST want to get 'the VID and have some lung damage as an excuse to stop

ALMOST ...
      04-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #109
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I may be moving over to the Road Cycling thread. I went for 15k ride Sunday morning. Just a few minutes longer than my normal run, 20bpm lower average for the ride, AND I was sweating way more than after running.

Best part: ZERO PF pain!!!!
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #110
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

You can do both. Throw in some swimming, and then they have a specific sport just for all three put together.

I'll just say this: triathlons are a fucking blast to do. I love them.