Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Passenger side mirror making a creaking sound when folding

03-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
haagendaas
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i

Passenger side mirror making a creaking sound when folding

Wondering if any of ya'll have experienced a creaking like sound from the passenger side mirror when it's folding during lock/unlock. I have a 2021 M440i with less than 2K miles on, but I did just get the car washed for the first time yesterday. Is it possible that it's just from some water stuck in there or something?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
haagendaas
Rep

interesting observation - it seems to make less noise at night, especially on initial unfolding
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Mine used to make that noise. Then the noise stopped, then after a while the mirror failed and it was replaced. I don't know if its still an issue, but there is huge number of passenger mirror failures on the new 3/4 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
haagendaas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Mine used to make that noise. Then the noise stopped, then after a while the mirror failed and it was replaced. I don't know if its still an issue, but there is huge number of passenger mirror failures on the new 3/4 series.
thanks for the reply! I think i’ll wait it out another week or so, and if it continues i’ll take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagendaas View Post
Wondering if any of ya'll have experienced a creaking like sound from the passenger side mirror when it's folding during lock/unlock. I have a 2021 M440i with less than 2K miles on, but I did just get the car washed for the first time yesterday. Is it possible that it's just from some water stuck in there or something?
I had this happen. Driver side mirror randomly started creaking after like 1 week into ownership. Took it to the dealership and they applied some sort of lubricant and it still didn't stop it so they ordered a new mirror housing unit (2-3 weeks to come from Germany). 1 week in and it completely stopped. Never needed to replace anything and it never came back.

I'd suggest taking it in to have them check it. It was creaking pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 12:38 AM   #6
haagendaas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I had this happen. Driver side mirror randomly started creaking after like 1 week into ownership. Took it to the dealership and they applied some sort of lubricant and it still didn't stop it so they ordered a new mirror housing unit (2-3 weeks to come from Germany). 1 week in and it completely stopped. Never needed to replace anything and it never came back.

thanks for the tip! I think im going to take it this week. How long did it take for them to get the part/once they got the part how long did it take to fix? thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 04:29 AM   #7
Baworak
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Mine did the same thing. Especially in higher temperatures, when the plastic materials expand. I used a little bit of WD-40 to lubricate the surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the tip! I think im going to take it this week. How long did it take for them to get the part/once they got the part how long did it take to fix? thanks in advance!
They ordered the part for me which was going to take 2-3 weeks to come in, but 2 weeks into ordering it, the creaking just randomly went away, never needed to change the housing unit so they just sent the part back once it arrived.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #9
TG88
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Hello,

This is slightly off topic, however do any of you have your driver side mirror whistle from the air moving through it while driving? I’ve taken it to the dealer and they said it’s completely normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
haagendaas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG88 View Post
Hello,

This is slightly off topic, however do any of you have your driver side mirror whistle from the air moving through it while driving? I’ve taken it to the dealer and they said it’s completely normal.
I personally have not experienced this issue that you mentioned TG88

Update on the passenger side mirror noise, took it to the dealership and they are going to order a new part for it...supposedly there is some plastic mechanism inside (which expands when its hot outside, hence the creaking). They said it's too soon for them to know if this will be a known recurring issue that they will need to address since not many people have come in with an M440i yet. Will report back once I get the new part installed in a couple of weeks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #11
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Fuck. Mine just started doing this today. And I’m dropping it off at the Detailer’s for PPF and ceramic right now.

edit - driver's side mirror. Crossing my fingers it just fixes itself and goes away, because I don't want to have to get just 1 mirror PPF + ceramic again later.
IG: EmFore_650

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 04-11-2021 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
haagendaas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Fuck. Mine just started doing this today. And I’m dropping it off at the Detailer’s for PPF and ceramic right now.

edit - driver's side mirror. Crossing my fingers it just fixes itself and goes away, because I don't want to have to get just 1 mirror PPF + ceramic again later.
Oh dang! Yeah wait it out a little and see if it corrects itself, when I took it to the dealer they took out the side mirror to inspect it and put some lubricant, and then ordered me a new part in the mean time. A day or 2 after I went to the dealer I stopped hearing the creaking completely. Don't know if it was from the lubricant or from them taking it off/putting it back on, told them I didn't need the part anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Maybe just a dab of some WD40
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

Oh dang! Yeah wait it out a little and see if it corrects itself, when I took it to the dealer they took out the side mirror to inspect it and put some lubricant, and then ordered me a new part in the mean time. A day or 2 after I went to the dealer I stopped hearing the creaking completely. Don't know if it was from the lubricant or from them taking it off/putting it back on, told them I didn't need the part anymore.
This sounds exactly like what I said for my solution above lmao. Tells me the lubricant they used fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #15
haagendaas
Rep

Quote:
This sounds exactly like what I said for my solution above lmao. Tells me the lubricant they used fixed the issue.
yup literally identical to your situation lol
Appreciate 0