Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) HELP me decide what to do with my front end!

04-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Dravit Grey

HELP me decide what to do with my front end!

Trying to decide what to do to my front end on my Dravit Grey M340i. Should I black out the grille with the stars or diamond grille and replace front air intake trim in front of the wheels with black trim? Keep it as is? Other suggestions?

Current:

Thinking about:
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

For the longest time I convinced myself that I liked the cerium grey parts. I finally made the decision to change everything to the "extended black package" which includes the black diamond grill, lower fog light bits, the mirror caps, and the exhaust tips. Granted mine is mineral white but still now that I see it done I wish I had just checked the box from the beginning (I know this package isn't available in the US but you can still order all the parts like I did).
      04-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I vote gloss black, and color-matched mirror caps. The cerium mirror caps are the worst, its impossible for them to actually appear clean.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
I vote gloss black, and color-matched mirror caps. The cerium mirror caps are the worst, its impossible for them to actually appear clean.
I swapped to black mirror caps (on my mineral white). I actually didn't mind the cerium caps but once I switched everything else to black, they stuck out so much. As for keeping them clean, they are terrible. However, get them ceramic coated and they stay perfect all the time (couldn't believe the difference). Plus it keeps the silver cerium color vs many of these mirror caps that start to turn bronze(ish) in color.
      04-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I swapped to black mirror caps (on my mineral white). I actually didn't mind the cerium caps but once I switched everything else to black, they stuck out so much. As for keeping them clean, they are terrible. However, get them ceramic coated and they stay perfect all the time (couldn't believe the difference). Plus it keeps the silver cerium color vs many of these mirror caps that start to turn bronze(ish) in color.
Yeah I ceramic coated my gloss black mirror caps and they look great. Whole care has Gtechniq EXO V4 and it is incredible. Like I get excited to wash my car incredible. Are you able to ceramic coat a satin-like finish such as the cerium mirror caps? And yeah my mirror caps looked bronze already when I got my car fresh off the boat. They stick out like crazy

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I ceramic coated my gloss black mirror caps and they look great. Whole care has Gtechniq EXO V4 and it is incredible. Like I get excited to wash my car incredible. Are you able to ceramic coat a satin-like finish such as the cerium mirror caps? And yeah my mirror caps looked bronze already when I got my car fresh off the boat. They stick out like crazy
Yeah the ceramic coating goes on just the same but almost acts like a clearcoat on the cerium mirror caps. You can get them wet and they don't get those annoying water spots, or smudges. They are terrible. I think a good wax would do the same, but honestly even if someone didn't want to spend the money to get the entire car ceramic coated, just getting the mirror caps done would be very inexpensive and save A TON of hassle and gross looking mirrors lol. I've swapped to gloss black since and had those coated as well.
      04-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Go for the black mesh diamond grill, black air slats. Meaner look imo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah the ceramic coating goes on just the same but almost acts like a clearcoat on the cerium mirror caps. You can get them wet and they don't get those annoying water spots, or smudges. They are terrible. I think a good wax would do the same, but honestly even if someone didn't want to spend the money to get the entire car ceramic coated, just getting the mirror caps done would be very inexpensive and save A TON of hassle and gross looking mirrors lol. I've swapped to gloss black since and had those coated as well.
Thanks for the suggestions! I do have a full front and side skirt clear bra as well as the whole car including mirrors ceramic coated with 2 layers of 9H Ceramic Pro. Also had clear bra applied to my B pillars. The swirls were driving me crazy! I think the black grille looks great but almost feel like I should wait for rims. I think the Cerium grille looks good with the current matching wheels and mirror caps. I am going to get paint matched reflectors and black out the air intake trim in front of the left and right wheels to start and see how that changes the look. Personally the intake trim in cerium is an eye sore to me. I think black will look much more aggressive and go with the flow of the car. If and when I decide on rims changing to a black grille will be a must.

Thinking about these rims in either satin bronze or black. Personally I feel like black is overplayed but would look great on dravit (just like white and other colors look great with the black). I've also never had something very different like satin bronze... Thoughts on black vs satin bronze on dravit grey? (which has a gold metallic to it on some angles in the sun. Attached a pic below that shows the color change in strong sunlight)

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCbmwbear View Post
Go for the black mesh diamond grill, black air slats. Meaner look imo
I think it looks 100 times better on white! Great change and nice car!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's mine with the black grille and black lower intake things. This was before I bought the gloss black mirror caps and put my cerium 792m rims (these black ones are winter rims). You can see how much the cerium mirror caps stick out once everything else is black. It contrasts too much in my opinion which is why I changed it.
Attached Images

04-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
senderhomes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETES_M340i View Post
Trying to decide what to do to my front end on my Dravit Grey M340i. Should I black out the grille with the stars or diamond grille and replace front air intake trim in front of the wheels with black trim? Keep it as is? Other suggestions?

Current:

Thinking about:
I blacked out my whole grill but wish I just did the trim of the grill black and Left the diamond grey. Could also leave the Little bumper accents grey if there was some grey left in the grill.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:55 PM   #12
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

You can see how the black parts look on Dravit Grey here:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1648293
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here's mine with the black grille and black lower intake things. This was before I bought the gloss black mirror caps and put my cerium 792m rims (these black ones are winter rims). You can see how much the cerium mirror caps stick out once everything else is black. It contrasts too much in my opinion which is why I changed it.
Wow you can see how the mirrors stood out especially with the white! Im sure all black looks killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderhomes View Post
I blacked out my whole grill but wish I just did the trim of the grill black and Left the diamond grey. Could also leave the Little bumper accents grey if there was some grey left in the grill.
Considering this with the grill as well. I think the accents just stand out too much left grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
You can see how the black parts look on Dravit Grey here:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1648293
Super helpful thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #14
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETES_M340i View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I do have a full front and side skirt clear bra as well as the whole car including mirrors ceramic coated with 2 layers of 9H Ceramic Pro. Also had clear bra applied to my B pillars. The swirls were driving me crazy! I think the black grille looks great but almost feel like I should wait for rims. I think the Cerium grille looks good with the current matching wheels and mirror caps. I am going to get paint matched reflectors and black out the air intake trim in front of the left and right wheels to start and see how that changes the look. Personally the intake trim in cerium is an eye sore to me. I think black will look much more aggressive and go with the flow of the car. If and when I decide on rims changing to a black grille will be a must.

Thinking about these rims in either satin bronze or black. Personally I feel like black is overplayed but would look great on dravit (just like white and other colors look great with the black). I've also never had something very different like satin bronze... Thoughts on black vs satin bronze on dravit grey? (which has a gold metallic to it on some angles in the sun. Attached a pic below that shows the color change in strong sunlight)

What wheels are those?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #15
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I would do the air intake but then leave it as is.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #16
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano10 View Post
What wheels are those?
https://vossenwheels.com/wheel/hf-5/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #17
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I would do the air intake but then leave it as is.
You know the more I think about it the more I think you are correct. Kinda dig the Dravit with the cerium grille. Not even sure if I want to do the air intake at this point but for only $45 a side i might try it. Think I am just going to color match the front reflectors as well. Feel like the cerium accents give it an aggressive stance that seems to not be as noticeable with black (unless you have a black car or white car in which case I really think black compliments it nicely). If I decide to do wheels then I will consider going black grille, intake, and add in a CF front lip, CF side skirts, CF spoiler. Probably going to do the CF spoiler sooner rather than later. Think I'll hold off for now on the rest and start with some performance mods (air intake, Dinan exhaust).

Appreciate 0