BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #111
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Its clear to me now that Porsche remains most committed to the enthusiast driving experience and they have seen their competitions brand strategy and have cleverly positioned theirs to avoid some of the pitfalls. GT4/Spyder with N/A engines and 6MT? And word that the regular 718/Boxsters may go back to NA? Call me a dreamer but I'm even hoping they'll find some way, even if it is electrical/computerized trickery, to get the manual gearbox into an electric 911. Because they're Porsche and thats what they do

Hopefully new M3/M4 brings the customer closer to the enthusiast experience than the opposite.
That's also because Porsche needs that solid sports car image to survive in the rather competitive mid range between supercars and M/AMG/RS.

Look how much shit they have got from customers and reviewers alike by introducing an uninspiring flat-4 turbo engine on 718.

We should push M to make again real sports cars with MTs and automated manuals, not the comfortable automatic grocery getters.
Let's also remember that Porsche tried the "no manual transmission" nonsense and their customer base went crazy. Enter stage right the 911R in manual and the new GT3 in manual. They learned from that mistake.
Appreciate 4
JTO245246.50
kyrix1st2350.50
      08-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #112
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Let's also remember that Porsche tried the "no manual transmission" nonsense and their customer base went crazy. Enter stage right the 911R in manual and the new GT3 in manual. They learned from that mistake.
I wonder if, upon the eventual discontinuation of manual in the m3, they will experience similar blowback?

I am driving an M3 CS because when my lease was up every manual m3 in the country was sold. I love the CS. it handles night and day vs a comp pack. HOwever, I'm 37, this is my first auto, and I am so glad i only did a 2 year lease because i cannot wait to get back into a stick.
Appreciate 3
Mdoa29.00
      08-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #113
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I wonder if, upon the eventual discontinuation of manual in the m3, they will experience similar blowback?

I am driving an M3 CS because when my lease was up every manual m3 in the country was sold. I love the CS. it handles night and day vs a comp pack. HOwever, I'm 37, this is my first auto, and I am so glad i only did a 2 year lease because i cannot wait to get back into a stick.
I periodically checked stock and my local BMW dealership always had a few manual Competition and non Comp M3/M4s in stock.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #114
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I periodically checked stock and my local BMW dealership always had a few manual Competition and non Comp M3/M4s in stock.
Of course they have M4's, they're still being produced. You can spec one out.

Not M3's, not in Manual, and not in April, 2019, 6 months after they ended production they didn't.

You may not differentiate between a 2 and a 4 door, but I certainly do.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #115
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

I believe so. It would be the nail in the coffin for a whole host of buyers. There are enough MT lovers out there that it would impact sales.
Appreciate 1