Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Finished paperwork and paid but PDI hasn't been done?

09-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
deoxys
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Finished paperwork and paid but PDI hasn't been done?

Hi guys, my SA told me to come in and pick up the car last Saturday 9/14. We already made a deal and agreed on the final price. I arrived, did a test drive and then went ahead finish all the paperwork and payment with financial department. The whole process including waiting took ~3 hours.

After all these, I walked out with the sticker which needs to be on the windshield and was ready to take the car. They suddenly told me they cannot deliver the car because they hadn't done PDI...

I had no choice but walking away, being told it would be ready on next Monday (today) or Tuesday (tomorrow). And today my SA told me they found a cooling part needs to be replaced because one of the stress test didn't pass. So I need to wait another few days until they get the part...

Does this sound normal to you? Shouldn't PDI be done once the car came in, and before test drive? Is it ok to have some parts replaced during PDI?

Also, I'm not sure if the PDI is the real reason they delayed the delivery... when I test drove, all functions worked, just the seats are still in brand new with plastic covers on them. There was some foams on the door too.

The lease already started on 9/14 (I received some email from BMWUSA) but I haven't met my car since then and car is in service... what would you do? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
deoxys
Private
Rep

This is what the car looked like when I test drove it. Seems PDI not done yet but the iDrive seemed fully functionally. And the hole on front bumper was also filled
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
deoxys
Private
Rep

I tried not to reveal the dealer info cause they are still working with it and I'll see what happens
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
So it doesn't look like they've done PDI yet in those pictures if there are still the white protective film covers on the car. Its strange though because PDI usually involves things like removing spacers on the springs and stuff too, and you shouldn't be test driving a car with those things on. Maybe they did part of it?

It is feasible for them to find things wrong with the car during PDI though. Did they at least give you an equivalent loaner car?

I bought a car awhile back (2014 MDX), it had already been PDI'ed but the dealer still did a detail on the car and visual inspection. During the inspection they found part of the roof was damaged (a removable piece), so they gave us a loaner car to take instead (unfortunately it wasn't an MDX, but an RDX) and said they needed a few days to get the part and fix it. So it isn't out of the question that they found something wrong.

It is annoying that your lease already started - but assuming they gave you an equivalent loaner car instead - just think about it this way, you're putting miles on their car instead of on your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:11 AM   #5
deoxys
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
So it doesn't look like they've done PDI yet in those pictures if there are still the white protective film covers on the car. Its strange though because PDI usually involves things like removing spacers on the springs and stuff too, and you shouldn't be test driving a car with those things on. Maybe they did part of it?

It is feasible for them to find things wrong with the car during PDI though. Did they at least give you an equivalent loaner car?

I bought a car awhile back (2014 MDX), it had already been PDI'ed but the dealer still did a detail on the car and visual inspection. During the inspection they found part of the roof was damaged (a removable piece), so they gave us a loaner car to take instead (unfortunately it wasn't an MDX, but an RDX) and said they needed a few days to get the part and fix it. So it isn't out of the question that they found something wrong.

It is annoying that your lease already started - but assuming they gave you an equivalent loaner car instead - just think about it this way, you're putting miles on their car instead of on your car.
Quote:

Thank you for your input. I guess as you said they may have done part of it just to let me test drive it. But it's not ready for delivery. They only mentioned I can rent a car and they reimburse me. I think they didn't mention loaner car because it was 8:30pm Saturday when the service department was already closed and it won't open until Monday?

Also, I drove there with my own car so I just drove my own car away and didn't ask for loaner car. Maybe I should think of the positive side. At least it's not that myself find the cooling problem after I drive it home. Obviously they shouldn't let me pay while the car was not ready for delivery yet... gotta see what they would offer for this 1 week's delay
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:15 AM   #6
deoxys
Private
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

They removed the white protective film from hood, and also installed rear license plate. But definitely not finished PDI like you said. I've test drove twice and put 10miles on it. Not sure if test drive should cause any problem before PDI
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
They are playing games with you!

Once the car comes off the truck, they do a safety check, remove the suspension blocks then put a gas in it. They are not allowed to have someone test drive the car without a safety check, which is pretty much the only mechanical check.....after that its off to detail department.

On that note, I have specifically asked my dealer NOT to do a PDI and took the car home after above initial steps were completed. I like to do my own details.

My conclusion is that either their detail department is backed up or they screwed up something on the car (most likely) and they are telling you bunch of stories. I am also not sure what "stress test" they are talking about......

Here is my car at delivery looking just like yours per my request.
Attached Images

2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
+1 to them playing games with you. Demand a loaner car or tell them to unwind the deal and give you your money back.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
deoxys
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post

Once the car comes off the truck, they do a safety check, remove the suspension blocks then put a gas in it. They are not allowed to have someone test drive the car without a safety check, which is pretty much the only mechanical check.....after that its off to detail department.

On that note, I have specifically asked my dealer NOT to do a PDI and took the car home after above initial steps were completed. I like to do my own details.

My conclusion is that either their detail department is backed up or they screwed up something on the car (most likely) and they are telling you bunch of stories. I am also not sure what "stress test" they are talking about......

My car was like yours when I test drove it right before I did paperwork (the white cover on hood and top were removed though).

You said they didn't do PDI right? So it's possible that my car was not PDI'ed either? So they may have told me the truth?

I asked them where they ordered the part they said Penn. They agreed to mail me a $500 check. Does that make sense to you?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #10
deoxys
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post

So maybe they did the "initial steps" like yours such that I can test drive it. But they didn't do PDI?

I will demand a PDI report when I pick up the car, what else do you think I can do to make sure they didn't screw up things?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
deoxys
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
+1 to them playing games with you. Demand a loaner car or tell them to unwind the deal and give you your money back.
What else can I do to make sure what they said is true other than requiring a DPI report (and I'll check if the service detail and dates match what they told me)?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
My car was like yours when I test drove it right before I did paperwork (the white cover on hood and top were removed though).

You said they didn't do PDI right? So it's possible that my car was not PDI'ed either? So they may have told me the truth?

I asked them where they ordered the part they said Penn. They agreed to mail me a $500 check. Does that make sense to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
So maybe they did the "initial steps" like yours such that I can test drive it. But they didn't do PDI?

I will demand a PDI report when I pick up the car, what else do you think I can do to make sure they didn't screw up things?
PDI report was actually left in my car without even me asking for it. It really isn't that involved.

To me it looks like your car has gone through all of that (Like I indicated earlier, they wouldn't have allowed you to drive it if it hadn't) and the only thing that is left is the detail.

It is very surprising and concerning that we are still having this conversation, you are being charged rent, paying insurance and yet, you do not have your car.

A lease can not start until they deliver the car to you. Period!

Call BMWFS and ask them why your lease is activated when you do not have possession of your car and see how they react.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 10-18-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0