Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Tailgate leak on g20 touring

01-11-2024, 04:27 PM   #1
Baxter1334
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series g20

Tailgate leak on g20 touring

I have a 21 plate 3 series touring and have been experiencing water pouring into the boot when i open the tailgate if the car has been exposed to heavy rainfall.
When the tailgate gets to a certain point water comes out of the rubber seal area and rather than run down the drain channels it bypasses this and goes into the boot.
Last week we had heavy rain for a few days and when I finally opened boot it was almost a cup full of water than ended up in the boot.
I’ve taken to local dealer who have found that the sound dampening foam in tailgate was sodden with water but they claim that the rubber seals are fine and techs are stumped as to how water it getting into tailgate. They even suggested that I had been pressure washing the car with the glass window open 🤦*♂️😂

Has anybody had this issue and what was the cause and the subsequent solution?
I can’t believe that it’s not the seals but am open to suggestions. Car is still at dealership whilst they still investigate
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:05 AM   #2
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Have you checked if are any drain holes are blocked?

I don't have a touring so not sure if they have any drain holes, but this can sometimes be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 08:00 AM   #3
Baxter1334
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series g20

I couldn’t find any drain holes and would suspect dealership would check there first.
Needless to say it is still with dealership after 4 days and im waiting on update as to what’s going on
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 03:15 PM   #4
Bennetti3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330d

Hi Baxter1334 sorry I’m a bit late to this. Did you get yours sorted? I bought a 2021 g21 a few weeks back and I have exactly same issue- water literally pouring from (inside?)the hatch door when it’s fully open. I talked to the local dealer but I’m not even sure they believe what I’m telling them even when I send them a video. (I’ll post the vid here if I can work out how) if anyone had the same let me know? Cheers
Appreciate 0