Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Stuck between xDrive vs. RWD

02-15-2024, 05:45 PM   #23
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panscan340 View Post
X drive is a performance upgrade.
Can confirm. Even though my previous M340i was a RWD and lighter, it didn't feel nearly as fast as my current M440i GC xDrive. You can definitely have more "fun" in a RWD car, but xDrive will perform better in 99% of situations.
      04-01-2024, 09:52 AM   #24
dwswager
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX-5

Quote:
X drive is a performance upgrade.
Depends...

The xDrive will be significantly quicker 0-60 and about even in a 1/4 mile. The sDrive (RWD) will be significantly faster to attain higher speeds. The sDrive is about 0.8s faster to 130mph

To translate this on a technical track like Atlanta Motorsports Park with a single reasonably short straight, the xdrive will have an advantage digging out of slow speed corners, but on a speed track like Virginia International Raceway, the sDrive in competent hands will pull away due to the much longer multiple straights.

On the streets, the xDrive will be quicker in almost all situations.
Appreciate 1
zlatko132.50
      04-01-2024, 03:36 PM   #25
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwswager View Post
Depends...

The xDrive will be significantly quicker 0-60 and about even in a 1/4 mile. The sDrive (RWD) will be significantly faster to attain higher speeds. The sDrive is about 0.8s faster to 130mph

To translate this on a technical track like Atlanta Motorsports Park with a single reasonably short straight, the xdrive will have an advantage digging out of slow speed corners, but on a speed track like Virginia International Raceway, the sDrive in competent hands will pull away due to the much longer multiple straights.

On the streets, the xDrive will be quicker in almost all situations.
Please note, before those straights, and a few times in between, you have corners. Having a higher exit speed as you enter the long straights could overcome the .8s difference. Lets even call it a second.

It is hard to say without a true comparison test.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 10:37 PM   #26
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

My vote is on the X-Drive based on where you live. I have family that lived in upstate New York and the drive in snowy conditions was as bad as what we face in Toronto, arguably worse. Even with proper winter tires, you have to be very careful on throttle control with RWD. If you start drifting, having power at the front is a game changer for correcting. People may disagree with my opinion but why not error on the side of caution when it results in better performance either way. How many people are really taking these cars 'sideways' enough in Upstate to justify getting RWD?
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 10:41 PM   #27
g20exaudinoob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
My vote is on the X-Drive based on where you live. I have family that lived in upstate New York and the drive in snowy conditions was as bad as what we face in Toronto, arguably worse. Even with proper winter tires, you have to be very careful on throttle control with RWD. If you start drifting, having power at the front is a game changer for correcting. People may disagree with my opinion but why not error on the side of caution when it results in better performance either way. How many people are really taking these cars 'sideways' enough in Upstate to justify getting RWD?
A bit late to the game, sDrive works perfect for me upstate, and Toronto when i took it . Handles just as good as any Xdrive while having all the fun
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:00 AM   #28
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20exaudinoob View Post
A bit late to the game, sDrive works perfect for me upstate, and Toronto when i took it . Handles just as good as any Xdrive while having all the fun
As long as you're having fun, enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 10:26 AM   #29
aidanmurphy
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i RWD

Specifically searched for a RWD, although there is never snow on the ground here (North GA)

Would not have it any other way, handles like a dream and I have never struggled for traction on 255 staggered setup.

RWD is lighter, less parts that can break and IMO a more pure driving experience. Not that the last point matters in a sports sedan but I would get RWD unless I was going to be in a lot of snow
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 11:16 AM   #30
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Exactly. There is a YouTube video showing difference in performance in snow of m3 x drive vs rwd and it’s pretty significant. They also showed how getting up a slightly slanted driveway with x drive was easy whereas the rwd couldn’t do it in the snow.
If you live in an area where it snows significantly and you choose to not get x drive you are significantly short changing yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:18 AM   #31
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Here it is. While most of us don’t care about 0-60 times in snow of course , I think the later demonstrations of the hill/driveway are very helpful.

https://youtu.be/Q7o0WITH0uY?feature=shared
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 02:37 PM   #32
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Get AWD and xDelete that just got released to get the RWD -

Note: for G-Series models that were built on 06/2021 or before!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 08:12 PM   #33
dwswager
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX-5

Quote:
Here it is. While most of us don’t care about 0-60 times in snow of course , I think the later demonstrations of the hill/driveway are very helpful.

Yes, if snow is your primary or even a significant amount of your driving then AWD is the better option. Though I laughed at the standing start where he jacked the throttle in 2WD and eased on it so the front wheels would not slip in 4WD.

Here is the thing the RWD is the drivers car. It is the one a good driver would prefer because of the feel less weight, better weight balance and the power delivery.

But which is faster is really going to depend on the driver. You can give me John Rahm's golf clubs and make him play with mine and he is still going to kick my butt. Fastest car in this photo is the BMW because the driver is a Porsche and BMW instructor. That is a cop out, but it would be better to worry about improving your driving than the tool you use. Only if you are getting 100% out of the current tool will a better tool be necessary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-03-2024, 09:40 PM   #34
g20exaudinoob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i sDrive

Quote:

It’s no secret xDrive trumps RWD in the snow…but that is a pretty crappy comparison in that vid. He’s just mashing the throttle which isn’t how you typically drive in powdered snow.

With a proper set of winters combined with BMW’s equal weight distribution, well executed DSC, and LSD…the car is a breeze to drive through the snow. Just my experience through the winter.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 04:51 PM   #35
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

RWD can be a lot of fun if that's what you're getting the car for. If you're going to occasionally have fun but 90% of the time you just drive around town or on the highway, there's no better feeling than your car gripping instantly from a still position, even on the driest and smoothest of city asphalts. You experience satisfaction on each traffic light.

Snow is the least of my considerations when deciding on RWD vs AWD, to be honest. Also, I'd never go with all seasons, no matter where I live. They look like a compromise on every aspect and wear out twice as fast as you drive them twice as much.

Ever since I had an AWD car, that's been my number #1 option to spec on a car. I never want to experience wheel spin again (unless I'm in a 1000+ hp monster where it's inevitable but a whole of a lot of other things compensate for that).

Last edited by blue_seather; 04-05-2024 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
M340I///M142.00
zlatko132.50
      04-05-2024, 05:33 PM   #36
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwswager View Post
Here is the thing the RWD is the drivers car. It is the one a good driver would prefer because of the feel less weight, better weight balance and the power delivery.

But which is faster is really going to depend on the driver. You can give me John Rahm's golf clubs and make him play with mine and he is still going to kick my butt. Fastest car in this photo is the BMW because the driver is a Porsche and BMW instructor. That is a cop out, but it would be better to worry about improving your driving than the tool you use. Only if you are getting 100% out of the current tool will a better tool be necessary.
RWD does not equal better balance and almost guarantees poorer power delivery. Simply physics of 4 contact patches vs 2.

And if that BMW laps the same course faster than the Vette, he needs to give me that Vette! lol.

And I agree, the driver makes the most diffence 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 01:43 PM   #37
JIMN9NE
Private
Rep
Drives: M440i

I drove both xDrive and RWD extensively to compare before I made my purchase. You can definitely feel xDrive being a bit nose heavy and not as nimble feeling as the RWD. I think I would've paid $2000 more for the RWD if I had too.

I do live in California, so that was another reason why I had no use for xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:19 PM   #38
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

well there's an app called XDelete. it turns your car into RWD. car was WILD OMG.
AWD people don't know what they're missing out on!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:53 AM   #39
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

My 2cents: xdrive with xdelete. You get all the benefits of both and can switch tonAWD, 100% RWD or select anything in between.

That's what I have. RWD only mode and this car is a handful with this much power. The AWD "Sport" setting in xdelete, is all RWD but will use the front when absolutely necessary. Makes the steering feel much better but still have seriously more traction than RWD only.
Appreciate 0