Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Newbie to forum (and BMW)

09-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
Exeterj
Rep
Drives: VW

Newbie to forum (and BMW)

Hi all, first post so one to say hello.

Last Saturday I picked up my very first BMW - a G20 M340d in Portimao blue with black interior.

Unfortunately I’ve been suffering with this ‘freshers flu’ so not really ventured too far but from what I have so far I’m loving the car.

It’s 70 plate with 2500miles on from but what I understand it was highly specced as it has visibility pack, premium pack, comfort pack, and I think tech pack plus (or it maybe park assistance pack) - it has sunroof but think this is in one of the packs. I think some of the packs aren’t now available so it’s difficult to tell - is there anywhere it tells me in the car?

I think the car was a good price from our dealer, out of interest I did a webuyanycar when I got home and they offered about £2k more than I’d just paid for it - how’s that work?!

One question I have to start with, is can the gear your in be shown on the dash or on the HUD? I think it only shows D?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeterj View Post
One question I have to start with, is can the gear your in be shown on the dash or on the HUD? I think it only shows D?
Welcome! We’re in the same boat - picked up my first BMW this morning (though a G22).

When using the paddles to manually shift, the gear shows in the main instrument cluster / dash, at the bottom of the screen, towards the right (where it says ‘D’ normally it will say e.g. M1, M2, etc, etc).

I did not see the gear in the HUD but I think I was in comfort mode at the time (and I only tried manual shift once on the journey back from pickup), and from what I have read since is that in Sport and Sport Plus mode the HUD should show the RPM and (possibly) and indicator as to when it recommends shifting up or down. - not tried it myself though, haven’t had a chance to play around with much yet.
      09-26-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pride and joy. Getting any good second hand G20/22 is an achievement right now--let alone one with a high spec! Anyway, yes: the HUD just displays revs when in Sport, though you will also be prompted to upshift when using the paddles. To be honest, the torque converter is so good at anticipating where you need to be both on upshifts and downshifts, even in the most spirited of driving conditions, that I rarely use the paddles. Unless you get a buzz out of engaging 'manually' with the B58 that way, it can be more of a distraction than anything. But either way, enjoy: there's nothing quite like the sound of this straight 6, even with all the filters they've had to incorporate these days...!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0