Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New M340i ordered, bye bye M2 comp

09-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
golty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, BMW M340i

New M340i ordered, bye bye M2 comp

Made a pretty big decision to trade in my 10 month old M2 Comp for a brand new M340i saloon.

Absolutely love the M2 but I just don't see the point having it has a daily driver, I'm mostly just cruising behind traffic anyway and you can barely use it in the cold weather. I'm hoping the M340i is much better in the winter been xDrive.

From the test drive I had the M340i if anything feels a bit quicker in a straight line, but definitely not as a fun if you can find a quiet road.

Gone for a pretty basic spec of just tech pack in Mineral grey, was wanting a car to just blend in as my M2 was Sunset orange so it was very flashy! Thinking I might add the M performance carbon spoiler and side sills if the dealer can do me a good price.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the extra depreciation but it's a car I want to keep long term anyway!
Appreciate 2
DavidXJ663.00
      09-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by golty View Post
Made a pretty big decision to trade in my 10 month old M2 Comp for a brand new M340i saloon.

Absolutely love the M2 but I just don't see the point having it has a daily driver, I'm mostly just cruising behind traffic anyway and you can barely use it in the cold weather. I'm hoping the M340i is much better in the winter been xDrive.

From the test drive I had the M340i if anything feels a bit quicker in a straight line, but definitely not as a fun if you can find a quiet road.

Gone for a pretty basic spec of just tech pack in Mineral grey, was wanting a car to just blend in as my M2 was Sunset orange so it was very flashy! Thinking I might add the M performance carbon spoiler and side sills if the dealer can do me a good price.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the extra depreciation but it's a car I want to keep long term anyway!
couple weeks ago I was in the dilemma of switching my m340 (all options selected) plus few extras (AA downpipe, dinan axleback, full ppf) for a m2 competition.

the idea of the change sounded really good but there was something telling me that I was doing a bad decision.

glad to see that I am not the only one that took m340 over m2c
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

To be totally honest, I quite often question many cars on the road today. People rave about the M4 or M8 Competition, RS6, C63, Ferraris, Porsches, MacLaren, Lambo etc etc etc, but I look at it, and think, who on earth really needs 500+ bhp for the road. I know that's a wee bit silly thinking like that when I have a near 400bhp car. I thought the same when in my 306bhp Golf.

I suspect most of the time, 200-250bhp is more than enough. I know people oft trot out that its not just this country, but you've got the autobahn etc etc, but really, you don't need 600bhp to go fast on them! And frankly, given how bad a lot of people drive in their powerful cars, maybe they should be limited to 150bhp.

Anyway, I did discuss this on the VW R forum, and the general thought was that maybe 400bhp was all you needed, so that would include your M2 Comp. But as you say, for most driving, that was still unnecessary. And that is why, looking back at an older thread, I won't be interested in the G21 M3 when it comes out.
      09-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
d 246
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
To be totally honest, I quite often question many cars on the road today. People rave about the M4 or M8 Competition, RS6, C63, Ferraris, Porsches, MacLaren, Lambo etc etc etc, but I look at it, and think, who on earth really needs 500+ bhp for the road. I know that's a wee bit silly thinking like that when I have a near 400bhp car. I thought the same when in my 306bhp Golf.

I suspect most of the time, 200-250bhp is more than enough. I know people oft trot out that its not just this country, but you've got the autobahn etc etc, but really, you don't need 600bhp to go fast on them! And frankly, given how bad a lot of people drive in their powerful cars, maybe they should be limited to 150bhp.

Anyway, I did discuss this on the VW R forum, and the general thought was that maybe 400bhp was all you needed, so that would include your M2 Comp. But as you say, for most driving, that was still unnecessary. And that is why, looking back at an older thread, I won't be interested in the G21 M3 when it comes out.
I have a 335d and got fed up doing very low mileage in 15mph city traffic and thought I would opt for a company electric car. After some man maths, I went with the heart and ordered an M340i....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d 246 View Post
I have a 335d and got fed up doing very low mileage in 15mph city traffic and thought I would opt for a company electric car. After some man maths, I went with the heart and ordered an M340i....
Yes, the heart does tend to get in the way. My reasoning was that it was probably the last ICE car I'd buy so I might as well make it more than 4 cyl. 6 was a nice compromise.
      09-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
golty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Ye really good points there, I don't see the point in making some pretty serious compromises just the own something special. In the winter I generally was worried about driving the M2 and I don't think you really need that in a car. Albeit I didn't buy any winter wheels which was pretty dumb on a RWD car.

200BHP is still probably quicker than 90% of other cars on the road so why do you need more? Everyone has dashcams these cars so you can't exactly go round driving your 400hp car round like an idiot!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Interesting you think it’s got more straight line performance than the M2C, I think the new MHT cars are probably 400hp even though quoted the same as before.

I’ve only had my M340i a few days and it’s pretty amazing really, so effortless to the point where I wouldn’t get much use out of having more power.

I’ll still look at the figures when the M3 Touring is released though.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      09-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

No one needs 400 or 500bhp plus but that doesn't want us wanting it!
I do think power outputs are getting even sillier but then they have to match the porky cars these days.

If we were all sensible we would have 1.4 hybrid skodas.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Oddly cars get quicker all the time, but roads get slower!

Generally 190hp from a 320d is more than enough, especially off the line, however on a couple of occasions I've really missed the extra power of a 330e!

I appreciate driving my wife's 440i but at times it's less fun because I'm watching the speedo...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #10
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

What an interesting, sensibly judicious, measured thread all round. I say this having recently strayed onto a discussion among US folks about what is (for them) the newly released M3C. Someone asked--quite reasonably--whether the M340i would be a more justifiable option, given that 0-60 there's only half a second in it, but a lot more money at stake. The vociferous and dismissive responses were in themselves revealing to me: the G80 is hardly a car that needs defending in any way, so the bluntness with which M-aficionados did so was astonishing. I was left with the impression that it was evidently heresy for someone to compare it to the 40i. Yes, we know the G20/21 40i isn't a thoroughbred M-division specimen that's always yearning for a track; but that doesn't mean its power, handling, or driver-rewards aren't incredible. All of which is to say that the honest OP here about transitioning from the M2 and the pragmatic views on how much BHP we need in real-world driving are very refreshing! Doesn't stop me aspiring to the new M3, of course... But there's a level of respect that the new M340i commands that deserves to be part of a conversation about how splendidly it measures up in everyday life alongside those sanctified M machines.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 2
PLF693766.00
Ikester192124.00
      09-08-2021, 03:44 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

As someone who owned a 600hp M5 and got rid within a year because the performance was unusable in the real world and despite trying to get a low profile grey one, the car attracted too much attention, I can get the OPs view. I dont even drive very fast these days!

But its all a balance, I like nice cars, they are sort of a hobby and with grown up kids and no other half, its money I can sort of afford (yes it would be better spent on investing but there are no pockets in shrouds...). So what did I downgrade to when the M5 went.... and RS4 with only 444hp!

I probably still get more driving fun from my 136hp 3 cylinder Mini - manual box, slow enough to be able to wring it a bit without losing your licence, can leave it anywhere and not worry....
Appreciate 2
DavidXJ663.00
Ikester192124.00
      09-08-2021, 04:32 AM   #12
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
As someone who owned a 600hp M5 and got rid within a year because the performance was unusable in the real world and despite trying to get a low profile grey one, the car attracted too much attention, I can get the OPs view. I dont even drive very fast these days!

But its all a balance, I like nice cars, they are sort of a hobby and with grown up kids and no other half, its money I can sort of afford (yes it would be better spent on investing but there are no pockets in shrouds...). So what did I downgrade to when the M5 went.... and RS4 with only 444hp!

I probably still get more driving fun from my 136hp 3 cylinder Mini - manual box, slow enough to be able to wring it a bit without losing your licence, can leave it anywhere and not worry....
Completely agree with this - when I originally ordered my G20 320i, there were various issues with it when it arrived…ended up being given an M5C as a courtesy car for a week while they rectified it. While it's pretty much the best all-round car in the world (in my opinion), and absolutely savagely fast, it's far too fast for the real world. Put my foot down to overtake things and you're instantly at license losing speeds before you even have time to think. Fabulous car in every way, but I can't see how you can use that level of performance day to day.

Having recently traded my G20 in for a G15 840i, I can quite honestly say that car has all the performance I could ever need and it sounds absolutely fantastic too.

All subjective of course!
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      09-08-2021, 06:26 AM   #13
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
What an interesting, sensibly judicious, measured thread all round. I say this having recently strayed onto a discussion among US folks about what is (for them) the newly released M3C. Someone asked--quite reasonably--whether the M340i would be a more justifiable option, given that 0-60 there's only half a second in it, but a lot more money at stake. The vociferous and dismissive responses were in themselves revealing to me: the G80 is hardly a car that needs defending in any way, so the bluntness with which M-aficionados did so was astonishing. I was left with the impression that it was evidently heresy for someone to compare it to the 40i. Yes, we know the G20/21 40i isn't a thoroughbred M-division specimen that's always yearning for a track; but that doesn't mean its power, handling, or driver-rewards aren't incredible. All of which is to say that the honest OP here about transitioning from the M2 and the pragmatic views on how much BHP we need in real-world driving are very refreshing! Doesn't stop me aspiring to the new M3, of course... But there's a level of respect that the new M340i commands that deserves to be part of a conversation about how splendidly it measures up in everyday life alongside those sanctified M machines.

Indeed the responses in this particular thread were quite amusing.

As one who owned M235i -- M2 -- M340i in that order and braught all of them to the track in a semi-regular manner I can confidently say that this new generation G M340i is on another level compared to what was done before.

I just came back from a weekend outside town with family, 3 adults and newborn (2 months old) combined with a track day on monday. Stroller, 12x12 canvas, luggage, milk, chairs, 2 helmets etc. + I managed to practically equal my M2 lap times. Came back home in total comfort (adaptive suspension + assisted driving). What more can I ask ?

Of course the M3 would fair even better on track and be more powerfull in the mid-upper range etc. It remains you gain 0 in street drivability or comfort for a track/performance gain that is like 1-2% of my total usage time with the car. The ''lesser M-Lite'' is most of the time the most logical and less emotional choice. There is also the cost/value. Here in Canada the M3 price as gone way up compared to past models.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 2
DavidXJ663.00
Ikester192124.00
      09-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #14
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

Interesting, I went for a G21 M340i because we need one practical car in the household (able to carry passengers in the back, a couple of dogs, etc) and for all it's attributes Mrs JNW1's 3-door Cooper S fails that test. However, had I managed to persuade her into something more versatile I'd have actually gone for an M2C in preference to what I've got (complete with a manual gearbox to confirm me as one of the last of the luddites!).

Don't get me wrong, I think the M340i is almost certainly the better all-round daily driver and for me it's easily more than fast enough for the vast majority of the time. However, I just don't think it quite involves and engages in the same way as a pukka M-car; I loved my old E46 M3 CS and I always saw the M2C as the modern day spiritual successor to that car. Regardless, that ship's sailed now and I'm definitely not complaining about being "stuck" with an M340i - hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #15
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

JNW1 not having a pop at you in the slightest, but what do you mean when you write you "don't think it quite involves and engages in the same way as a pukka M-car"?? I sort of take it to mean a little bit sideways and/or above the speed limit. I totally get the difference between road and track, but do question the involvement one is able to derive from a M3 and M340i on most A roads where you can hardly do 60mph. I do think I'd get more involvement out of the 1.0 Polo that I bought my daughter.

Basically when I look at my last drive (yesterday) it was 9 miles on B roads through the New Forest then 57 miles on dual/Mway followed by 26 miles on A roads through suburbia - and then back. I wonder where any engaging/involving driving could have taken place?
      09-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #16
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
JNW1 not having a pop at you in the slightest, but what do you mean when you write you "don't think it quite involves and engages in the same way as a pukka M-car"?? I sort of take it to mean a little bit sideways and/or above the speed limit. I totally get the difference between road and track, but do question the involvement one is able to derive from a M3 and M340i on most A roads where you can hardly do 60mph. I do think I'd get more involvement out of the 1.0 Polo that I bought my daughter.

Basically when I look at my last drive (yesterday) it was 9 miles on B roads through the New Forest then 57 miles on dual/Mway followed by 26 miles on A roads through suburbia - and then back. I wonder where any engaging/involving driving could have taken place?
No, I don't necessarily mean going at high speeds and/or sideways! What I mean is how the car actually feels to drive and that's a combination of a whole number of things (what comes back through the steering wheel, what you feel through your backside, what noises the car makes, etc). I'd also argue manuals are more involving that automatics but that's opening-up a separate debate in itself!

To be honest, on most roads I doubt my old my M3 would see which way my M340i went but the M3 felt special even when it wasn't going especially quickly - in contrast the M340i never really does, it just feels like a fast 3-series Touring with a nicer soundtrack. And of course there's nothing wrong with that - like I say, as a daily driver it's probably preferable to the M-car, it's just that (IMO) it lacks the same sense of occasion when you get behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      09-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #17
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

JNW1 Sorry, after I wrote that, I realised that maybe i could have written it differently.

I do get it about having a car that is involving. I've got my Amarok which is a brick and not involving at all, and my M340i which is more involving. And yes, the M3 is another step up. But that step up from 40i to M3 probably isn't hugely noticeable on UK roads at UK speed limits. Not driven them, but is there much difference in involvement between a 40i and less powerful models in the 3 range?

But as you say, the M340i is a fast estate though I do think it goes around corners pretty well as at least the torque vectoring (believe the same LSD as in the M2) allows for it. Whether that is involving or not I guess is subjective. But on my drive yesterday, I actually was thinking how competent it all was. I've also said on the Golf R forum that I miss my old 7.5R for one reason. It's really not as nice as the M340i but if you wanted to be boisterous, you could have a bit of boy racer action and drama. The car often had accusations of being all a bit clinical/competent, but the M340i is even more so.

TBH, all cars are compromised in one way or another, not least with ever more regulations. Price, space, pace, looks, sound, comfort etc etc etc whatever is personal to each of us. For me the choice was relatively easy, all my car choices have been. This time, I wanted a 6 cylinder petrol engine in a small estate, which really only left me the M340i and C43.
      09-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #18
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:

No, I don't necessarily mean going at high speeds and/or sideways! What I mean is how the car actually feels to drive and that's a combination of a whole number of things (what comes back through the steering wheel, what you feel through your backside, what noises the car makes, etc). I'd also argue manuals are more involving that automatics but that's opening-up a separate debate in itself!

To be honest, on most roads I doubt my old my M3 would see which way my M340i went but the M3 felt special even when it wasn't going especially quickly - in contrast the M340i never really does, it just feels like a fast 3-series Touring with a nicer soundtrack. And of course there's nothing wrong with that - like I say, as a daily driver it's probably preferable to the M-car, it's just that (IMO) it lacks the same sense of occasion when you get behind the wheel.
Some excellent reflections here. There's no doubt a smaller M would be more nippy and engaging than a 40i (the G20 is now more bulbous than ever, after all) for those times on B-roads when you can throw it into corners and appreciate the back-end wiggle of a pure RWD. But I would disagree with the notion that the M340i is just a standard 3er that's been on a course of amplifying steroids. Having come to mine after a (undoubtedly splendid and spirited) 330i MSport, I think they are worlds apart in terms of charisma, agility, and of course the acoustics. (To be honest, just to cruise around at 30 listening to the B58 is a sense of occasion--but perhaps I set the thrill bar too low!) I agree with you that maybe the rawness though the upper end will be missed by folks who've owned previous generations of M3s; but I think that's a consequence of the 40i's ultra refinement and adaptability, traits that are nicely summed up in the scenario recounted by PLF69. I'm sure I will seek at some future juncture to try and justify the exorbitant costs of a new G80; but for now I do get sufficient gratification from the range of the 40i's capabilities.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #19
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
But I would disagree with the notion that the M340i is just a standard 3er that's been on a course of steroids. Having come to mine after a (undoubtedly splendid and spirited) 330i MSport, I think they are worlds apart in terms of capability, agility, and of course the acoustics.
Interestingly I had a G21 320d as a courtesy car last week (RWD, not X-Drive) and, whilst overall I'd not surprisingly rate mine to be a much better car, I actually thought the steering in the 320d was if anything preferable. I assume it was just the combination of a smaller engine and no X-Drive making the nose lighter but whatever the reason the feel and response to the helm just felt a bit nicer to me. That didn't translate into better handling or greater agility overall but the suspension set-ups on an M340i and a 320d M-Sport obviously aren't the same and hence to some extent it would be comparing apples and pears.

Nevertheless, unless my memory's playing tricks (which is quite possible!) I'd still say the M340i is more warmed-up 3-series than toned-down M-car. I also thought the same about the E92 335i that followed my M3 and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, at least for a daily driver; the 335i was an excellent car - and much more rounded than the M3 for everyday use - and the M340i is on another level again. But I haven't thought much about the E92 since I sold it and I suspect it will be the same with the M340i; in contrast, I still rue the day I sold the M3 CS and that's not just because of the way values have gone!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:50 AM   #20
golty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly I had a G21 320d as a courtesy car last week (RWD, not X-Drive) and, whilst overall I'd not surprisingly rate mine to be a much better car, I actually thought the steering in the 320d was if anything preferable. I assume it was just the combination of a smaller engine and no X-Drive making the nose lighter but whatever the reason the feel and response to the helm just felt a bit nicer to me. That didn't translate into better handling or greater agility overall but the suspension set-ups on an M340i and a 320d M-Sport obviously aren't the same and hence to some extent it would be comparing apples and pears.

Nevertheless, unless my memory's playing tricks (which is quite possible!) I'd still say the M340i is more warmed-up 3-series than toned-down M-car. I also thought the same about the E92 335i that followed my M3 and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, at least for a daily driver; the 335i was an excellent car - and much more rounded than the M3 for everyday use - and the M340i is on another level again. But I haven't thought much about the E92 since I sold it and I suspect it will be the same with the M340i; in contrast, I still rue the day I sold the M3 CS and that's not just because of the way values have gone!
Ye that's the only thing i'm slightly worried about changing a M2 comp for a 340i, I know I'm buying a car which will depreciate hard when / if the car market goes back to normal.

Also crossed my mind if the M2 Comp will become a future classic making prices go up more. But a quick check of Howmanyleft shows there's well over 7000 M2s / M2 Comps registered so I doubt that. I think only the CS and manual cars may be the ones which go up.

But either way I just want the better daily driver and the tech and a nice 3 series in a dull colour is sure to blend in and not draw attention!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 04:28 AM   #21
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Be interesting to see what happens to sales of cars like the M's when speed limiters are mandatory from next year!

I know that at first we will be able to turn them off but I imagine that could be solved with an over the air update

Will it change peoples buying habits or are most M cars bought as status symbols in the first place?!
      09-10-2021, 04:35 AM   #22
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ye that's the only thing i'm slightly worried about changing a M2 comp for a 340i, I know I'm buying a car which will depreciate hard when / if the car market goes back to normal.

Also crossed my mind if the M2 Comp will become a future classic making prices go up more. But a quick check of Howmanyleft shows there's well over 7000 M2s / M2 Comps registered so I doubt that. I think only the CS and manual cars may be the ones which go up.

But either way I just want the better daily driver and the tech and a nice 3 series in a dull colour is sure to blend in and not draw attention!
The M340i is an excellent daily driver and I'm sure you'll love it - I had mine debadged to help avoid unwanted attention and it flies under the radar very nicely!

I do think M2C's will be desirable in the future but, like you say, I suspect the rarity of the manuals might actually make them more sought after. I haven't been on recently to look but if you go on the BMW AUC website and filter on manual transmission I wouldn't mind betting the number of available cars drops significantly!

ETA: Just tried it and only 12 out of 166 M2's showing on the AUC website are manuals (and of those 12 only 4 are M2C's, the rest are earlier N55 engined cars).
Appreciate 0