Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New M340i ordered, bye bye M2 comp

09-10-2021, 05:08 AM   #23
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I'm not going to pretend I know the first thing about the car market and future values, but if I was in the market for a full fat M, I think I'd look for M3 or M4 rather than M2.
      09-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #24
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
I'm not going to pretend I know the first thing about the car market and future values, but if I was in the market for a full fat M, I think I'd look for M3 or M4 rather than M2.
Which is fair enough but begs the question what constitutes a full fat M? For some that may indeed be the latest M3 or M4 but others may feel the current cars have become too big and heavy and that something like an M2C is actually rather closer to the original M-car concept; I'm sure you can guess which side of the debate I'm on!

I have no crystal ball either when it comes to future values but if you look at the way prices of the 1M went I think it's possible manual versions of the M2C could follow a similar path (albeit probably not quite to the same extent). And of course the 1M was slated by many when it was introduced on the basis it wasn't a proper full fat M-car....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320 xdrive Diesel

Great debate here! My poverty spec G21 (ok xdrive), is an absolute peach of a car to drive, my Mrs is very comfortable with it and loves it (first auto box as well, anytime I looked at auto boxes with paddles, sequential doo dahs in the past, I just thought, Mrs/crash )

Our G21 is the practical car that takes 2 adults, 3 grandkids and 3 dogs, with all accoutrements with ease, our smaller hatchback didn’t cut it.

I do wish I’d thrown more money at it and got the 340d (is there one ).

The debate about useable power is relevant but so is the debate about how to get up to a set speed, my fun car is a 5.0L V8, running just over 500bhp, it’s agricultural, got poor tech, notchy gearbox (manual of course), RWD, but has a presence that no loaded BMW has (that’s not a dig, it’s a compliment, sometimes I wish said fun car was understated). Capable of 160+mph, that’s only ever achievable in Germany (which it has done on numerous trips to Italy).

It’s always a sense of occasion on start up and any journey (used through winter, in snow!) used pretty much as a daily.

Having a big power beast of a BMW should give you the same sense of pleasure and presence, yeah, impossible to use it all, but, especially if it’s got a lot of torque, nice to boot it, every now and then

I would love a RS6 or if they ever make one, an M3 Tourer. I’ll probably go 340 in a couple of years, if not next year, they come across as awesome machines (sorry not a very coherent post )
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #26
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Which is fair enough but begs the question what constitutes a full fat M? For some that may indeed be the latest M3 or M4 but others may feel the current cars have become too big and heavy and that something like an M2C is actually rather closer to the original M-car concept; I'm sure you can guess which side of the debate I'm on!

I have no crystal ball either when it comes to future values but if you look at the way prices of the 1M went I think it's possible manual versions of the M2C could follow a similar path (albeit probably not quite to the same extent). And of course the 1M was slated by many when it was introduced on the basis it wasn't a proper full fat M-car....
I'd agree with you, cars have become too big and heavy to be fun, and too powerful. I took my M340i for a B road blast and really didn't spend much time on full throttle, was great fun, but feel an extra 140bhp in an M3 would probably be wasted on me, wouldn't mind giving it a go though, but if I were to spend my money I'd rather go M2C as 400bhp is more than enough. big power needs big roads, and that's not where I get my kicks.

I'd still go auto though, after having an EP3 type R in my 20's and the fun I had with it, every other manual just feels crap now, and that could be a bit of rose tinted glasses, but it my personal opinion. Think I will buy another type R as a weekend toy when a good one comes up for sale.

A manual M2C in 15 years will be mega ££'s if kept in good order.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      09-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #27
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebies View Post
Great debate here! My poverty spec G21 (ok xdrive), is an absolute peach of a car to drive, my Mrs is very comfortable with it and loves it (first auto box as well, anytime I looked at auto boxes with paddles, sequential doo dahs in the past, I just thought, Mrs/crash )

Our G21 is the practical car that takes 2 adults, 3 grandkids and 3 dogs, with all accoutrements with ease, our smaller hatchback didn’t cut it.

I do wish I’d thrown more money at it and got the 340d (is there one ).

The debate about useable power is relevant but so is the debate about how to get up to a set speed, my fun car is a 5.0L V8, running just over 500bhp, it’s agricultural, got poor tech, notchy gearbox (manual of course), RWD, but has a presence that no loaded BMW has (that’s not a dig, it’s a compliment, sometimes I wish said fun car was understated). Capable of 160+mph, that’s only ever achievable in Germany (which it has done on numerous trips to Italy).

It’s always a sense of occasion on start up and any journey (used through winter, in snow!) used pretty much as a daily.

Having a big power beast of a BMW should give you the same sense of pleasure and presence, yeah, impossible to use it all, but, especially if it’s got a lot of torque, nice to boot it, every now and then

I would love a RS6 or if they ever make one, an M3 Tourer. I’ll probably go 340 in a couple of years, if not next year, they come across as awesome machines (sorry not a very coherent post )
There is indeed an M340d touring, saw one the other day in Portimao blue, looked stunning! And as of (I think) next year an M3 touring will be available as well!
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #28
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320 xdrive Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksandygill View Post
There is indeed an M340d touring, saw one the other day in Portimao blue, looked stunning! And as of (I think) next year an M3 touring will be available as well!
Car shopping after Crimbo then
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #29
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by golty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Interestingly I had a G21 320d as a courtesy car last week (RWD, not X-Drive) and, whilst overall I'd not surprisingly rate mine to be a much better car, I actually thought the steering in the 320d was if anything preferable. I assume it was just the combination of a smaller engine and no X-Drive making the nose lighter but whatever the reason the feel and response to the helm just felt a bit nicer to me. That didn't translate into better handling or greater agility overall but the suspension set-ups on an M340i and a 320d M-Sport obviously aren't the same and hence to some extent it would be comparing apples and pears.

Nevertheless, unless my memory's playing tricks (which is quite possible!) I'd still say the M340i is more warmed-up 3-series than toned-down M-car. I also thought the same about the E92 335i that followed my M3 and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, at least for a daily driver; the 335i was an excellent car - and much more rounded than the M3 for everyday use - and the M340i is on another level again. But I haven't thought much about the E92 since I sold it and I suspect it will be the same with the M340i; in contrast, I still rue the day I sold the M3 CS and that's not just because of the way values have gone!
Ye that's the only thing i'm slightly worried about changing a M2 comp for a 340i, I know I'm buying a car which will depreciate hard when / if the car market goes back to normal.

Also crossed my mind if the M2 Comp will become a future classic making prices go up more. But a quick check of Howmanyleft shows there's well over 7000 M2s / M2 Comps registered so I doubt that. I think only the CS and manual cars may be the ones which go up.

But either way I just want the better daily driver and the tech and a nice 3 series in a dull colour is sure to blend in and not draw attention!
I doubt that an M340i in good condition will depreciate much at all, to be honest. Yes, the M2s will most certainly be future classics; but that prestige could take years to accrue (and they'll always have a smaller market of buyers). The 40i, by contrast, already appeals to so many different constituencies: from enthusiasts to exec commuters to folks who want an ideal (but, as second hand, not wallet-busting) combination of pace, luxury, and (as you say) astonishing tech. My own '20 build has sustained its value pretty well this year. And some industry predictions point to the legacy of this chip shortage (and knock on depletion of dealer stock) lasting years. So if you had a well-looked-after 40i with reasonable mileage in 5 years, all signs are that it would still be a very desirable car for an auspiciously broad audience. Of course, they are also, in and of themselves, pretty rare: in comparison to other standard G20 variants (esp 330e and 320d) I hardly ever see 40s about.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #30
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
I doubt that an M340i in good condition will depreciate much at all, to be honest. Yes, the M2s will most certainly be future classics; but that prestige could take years to accrue (and they'll always have a smaller market of buyers). The 40i, by contrast, already appeals to so many different constituencies: from enthusiasts to exec commuters to folks who want an ideal (but, as second hand, not wallet-busting) combination of pace, luxury, and (as you say) astonishing tech. My own '20 build has sustained its value pretty well this year. And some industry predictions point to the legacy of this chip shortage (and knock on depletion of dealer stock) lasting years. So if you had a well-looked-after 40i with reasonable mileage in 5 years, all signs are that it would still be a very desirable car for an auspiciously broad audience. Of course, they are also, in and of themselves, pretty rare: in comparison to other standard G20 variants (esp 330e and 320d) I hardly ever see 40s about.
Would agree with this, so far I've only ever came across 1 other M340i since I Got mine in April.

It is such a "real" car, in comparison to the X5 I had before it!

Its a car I may keep for a lot longer than my usual 3 years, absolutely love it, just wish it had the comfort plus pack instead of just the comfort pack, other than that it is perfect.

That being said, since we have now established that the Mrs really doesn't need a car at all any more, we are considering trading her M235i and mine in for an M440i that we can share....

High values mean we wouldn't lose any money, and could get our favourite colour: Brooklyn Grey!
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ661.50
      09-12-2021, 12:44 AM   #31
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Would agree with this, so far I've only ever came across 1 other M340i since I Got mine in April.

It is such a "real" car, in comparison to the X5 I had before it!

Its a car I may keep for a lot longer than my usual 3 years, absolutely love it, just wish it had the comfort plus pack instead of just the comfort pack, other than that it is perfect.

That being said, since we have now established that the Mrs really doesn't need a car at all any more, we are considering trading her M235i and mine in for an M440i that we can share....

High values mean we wouldn't lose any money, and could get our favourite colour: Brooklyn Grey!
We're making the switch from M340i to i4 M50. Much debate in the EV forums that the M50 is a compromise based on the G26, but I love the G20/G21/G26 interior and spec, makes perfect sense for us... also in Brooklyn Grey. Having driven a Tesla M3 P I concluded I absolutely want to make the switch to EV, but not to Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 05:17 AM   #32
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Good thread!
I came from a M2 which I drove for a year. A great weekend fun car but not such a great daily IMO.

I've found the M340i to be much more useable, properly quick (quicker than the M2 in real world driving conditions), the B58 exhaust note sounds great, and the car is very comfortable when tinkering around town or cruising on the highway. As for resale values, although the M2 would hold up better, I'd rather have a car that I can enjoy then worry about what it will be worth 3-5 yrs from now.
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50