Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Tech pack disappointment on new order

09-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
BeagleKCH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d xDrive M Sport

Tech pack disappointment on new order

Apologies if this has been covered before - I'm sure it has a while back.

I went to my BMW dealer's Big Event today, with a view to seeing what was available.

I currently have a 69 plate G20 with amongst other packs, the Tech pack with HK and wireless charging.

Turns out that there is a chip shortage, which will take a further 6 months to resolve, such that the current Tech pack available lacks both of those features. A deal-breaker for me, so I may look at Audi again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

My BMW group car had HK, wireless charging and lumbar support deleted, it just is what it is at the moment, go with Audi if you need those things and they can supply them!

Oh and 6 months...I'd be guessing at closer to 12-18 months before things get back to normal!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yup and comfort access digital key is deleted too. (The phone access TBF rather than the key on picket type) so people less likely to miss that one.
      09-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Why not just keep yours until you can get the spec you want? A 69 plate G20 is still basically a brand new car. (Unless it's a short term lease of course)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:43 AM   #5
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Coupe

Definitely going to take longer than 6 months before things are anywhere near back to normal. Semiconductor shortage is affecting many industries globally due to production planning, capacity and delays.

In addition the global transportation industry is having huge delays in container ships that affecting much more than just the car industry. Many (and an increasing number of) major ports are having long queues of ships waiting to be processed, which affects delivery times of a lot of stuff across the world.

To add to that, the UK has a specific problem of HGV driver shortage.

All in all it’s a pretty big mess and will take considerable time to get delivery/supply lines back to something resembling normal.
      09-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarniac View Post
Definitely going to take longer than 6 months before things are anywhere near back to normal. Semiconductor shortage is affecting many industries globally due to production planning, capacity and delays.

In addition the global transportation industry is having huge delays in container ships that affecting much more than just the car industry. Many (and an increasing number of) major ports are having long queues of ships waiting to be processed, which affects delivery times of a lot of stuff across the world.

To add to that, the UK has a specific problem of HGV driver shortage.

All in all it’s a pretty big mess and will take considerable time to get delivery/supply lines back to something resembling normal.
Exactly!

Back on chip shortage your looking at 2023 before we see it back to anywhere near what it was like before this due to what has been mentioned above and TSMC being already at full capacity, Renasas will struggle to makeup it's backlog even though it's reportedly now back to 80% of it's output and the power outages in Texas left NXP and others with a mountain to climb.

What would help massively in Europe would be huge investment in Bosch's Dresden plant and have them and the other companies based their produce 3-2nm chips to keep them at the cutting edge.
Semiconductors are the where the new global battleground will be fought.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
Niicckk
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d

I found its definitely random at the minute. I ordered a 330e back in March and was told id get the full comfort access features. Colleague ordered 1 month later and was told would not have boot foot opener and digital key.

Mine was a June build and came without the boot opener

His was July build and came with boot opener

His was the new type with blue rings around everything and electrified by i badges where mine has m badges on the wings.

Confused.com lol
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 03:24 AM   #8
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleKCH View Post
Apologies if this has been covered before - I'm sure it has a while back.

I went to my BMW dealer's Big Event today, with a view to seeing what was available.

I currently have a 69 plate G20 with amongst other packs, the Tech pack with HK and wireless charging.

Turns out that there is a chip shortage, which will take a further 6 months to resolve, such that the current Tech pack available lacks both of those features. A deal-breaker for me, so I may look at Audi again.
Would be interesting to see how you get on with Audi, since the semi conductors pretty much come from TSMC I think.
Mate of mine was recently ordering an Audi, dealer asked him to de-spec some of the tech options if he wanted it before the end of 2022
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #9
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

The chip shortage, parts supply issue and delays has been rumbling for most of the pandemic, excaberated by one chip factory having a fire, one having a flood et al.

As has been eluded too, it won’t be 6 months, it’ll be 12-18 months at best before it sorts itself out…
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 05:49 AM   #10
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Wireless charging is c*ap! Cooks your phone. Enhanced BlueTooth and Wi Fi hotspot are also missing across the ranges too. M and M Performance cars are still getting HK, but no eB/T, Wi Fi or hotspot.

And there are rumours that it could be over a year for parts to settle for these options.

Audi also have this to say on their website:

"We’re sorry that due to global supply chain issues and a few component shortages, delivery times on some of our model lines are currently longer than we would like. Please be assured we are working hard to deliver your chosen vehicle as quickly as possible, and to keep you up to date with what’s happening. We also have cars readily available now from stock – just give your local Audi Centre a call and we can help you identify a perfect match."
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #11
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Dude View Post
Wireless charging is c*ap! Cooks your phone.
Alternative point of view: wireless charging is great, and has never cooked my phone (S21 Ultra). I love the fact that it has a built-in mobile repeater, so in poor signal areas you get a better reception in the tray than if you were holding it to a window. Also has a GPS repeater, I think, which aids mobile satnav apps.
Appreciate 2
335dX427.00
gavinwong154.50
      09-20-2021, 04:11 AM   #12
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

A local dealership called me to try get me to swap mine for a newer plate.

The newer plate would have not had all the above that mine currently has plus £120 more a month... needless to say I declined. I wouldn't mind but I've only had mine 9 months!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #13
Carlos s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Yup and comfort access digital key is deleted too. (The phone access TBF rather than the key on picket type) so people less likely to miss that one.
Does that mean that key card access still comes on models with digital key deletion?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:22 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Does that mean that key card access still comes on models with digital key deletion?
Hmm not sure. Best check with dealer or a recent order.
      09-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #15
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

I have just placed an order for an M340i with HK, I can't see anything about wireless charging being deleted on the order? It has specified the passenger lumbar support deletion and the digital key deletion which I'm not too fussed about. I would be quite disappointed if there was no wireless charging pad as was looking forward to using wireless CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #16
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

I'm pretty sure wireless charging is no longer available in any BMW being built through the end of the year and into next year. My dealer confirmed this to me also.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #17
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Yes, as 4monks says at the moment wireless charging is not available. If you look on the configurator it isn't mentioned within the tech pack currently.

My delayed order does not have it and I was not concerned about the charging however I didnt realise it would affect the ability to use wireless CarPlay. Can anybody confirm if this is likely to be an issue?

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #18
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
Yes, as 4monks says at the moment wireless charging is not available. If you look on the configurator it isn't mentioned within the tech pack currently.

My delayed order does not have it and I was not concerned about the charging however I didnt realise it would affect the ability to use wireless CarPlay. Can anybody confirm if this is likely to be an issue?
It doesn’t. ACP and wireless charging are 2 different unrelated things.

They aren’t exclusive to each other.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #19
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Wireless charging, eBlueTooth and Wi Fi hotspot are not available. H/K only available on some M Perf cars, but all M cars currently. But could change.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #20
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
It doesn’t. ACP and wireless charging are 2 different unrelated things.

They aren’t exclusive to each other.
I get that Apple CarPlay and Wireless Charging are not linked, but does Extended Bluetooth (or lack of it) affect wireless connection?

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #21
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
I have just placed an order for an M340i with HK, I can't see anything about wireless charging being deleted on the order? It has specified the passenger lumbar support deletion and the digital key deletion which I'm not too fussed about. I would be quite disappointed if there was no wireless charging pad as was looking forward to using wireless CarPlay.
Has your dealer confirmed that the factory has accepted HK on your order?
My order placed about 3 weeks ago had hk on order but found out a few days later that the factory said I couldn't have it. This is on an m340i.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #22
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
Has your dealer confirmed that the factory has accepted HK on your order?
My order placed about 3 weeks ago had hk on order but found out a few days later that the factory said I couldn't have it. This is on an m340i.
I placed the order on Monday so haven’t heard anything yet but the dealer checked with the Geniuses when placing the order as he didn’t think it was available, nor the driver assistant professional, but he said they accepted the order with both those options. I don’t have a VIN number yet so it could all change
Appreciate 0