Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Sport Xtraboost mode vs gear lever to M\S ....

09-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e xdrive

Sport Xtraboost mode vs gear lever to M\S ....

Hi Im new to automatics and loving the 330e for performance with economy

I know the sport mode button and xtraboost gives full power with suspension and steering tighter but do you get same throttle response and power if just hit the gearstick to the left i.e M\S setting and what is impact of doing both I.e to for sport and xtraboost?

Only started messing with settings( normally in D and sport mode and xtraboost for when want full power) and not really got chance in daily commute to trial much with gear selector to left for different drive modes but interested in other 330e owners (or others if same in other models? ) to see if need both lever to left in sport and sport button to get getting full impact or do you get same full 292bhp by flicking gear lever to left regardless of driving mode e.g .hybrid. or sport?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Can't remember exactly, think you get the full beans in sports mode, xtraboost mode or normal mode with the gear selector in S/M?

If you want the whole 9 yards, go for xtraboost mode, gear selector in sports and traction off so it doesn't reduce power
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:11 AM   #3
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

thanks ,
still learning different setups and notice difference in throttle response when gear selector in S/M and holds revs alot higher.

So if understand right regardless of drive mode i.e Hybrid or Sport when gear selector in S/M you only get 252BHP and need xtraboost mode for the full 292hp. The S/M gear selection just allows higher revs and user management -via paddle shifts.

the difference with sport/xtraboost mode you get the added stiffness of suspension and steering as opposed to just gearbox response when S/M gear selected. Is this right?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:49 AM   #4
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

I think the Gearbox in S/M keeps you in a lower gear and holds the revs for longer (obviously in M it's all down to you), not sure if it actually speeds up the gear changes, it always 'feels' faster, like it's thumping it into gear but that could be because its at higher revs?

I also think you get e-boost which is the electric motor helping out but not the full amount, it would make sense if you only get the maximum 292hp in xtraboost maybe as why else would you have an individual setting for it?

It's been almost a year since my 330e went back so memory isn't that great, apart from how much I loved it!!
      09-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Cheers. Enjoying the different modes and getting familiar with the paddle shifts..interesting when speak with some other colleagues and friends how many never tried paddle shifts on steering wheel if in their cars and assumed shifting gear to m/s was same as sport mode setting for full power and dynamics etc
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 02:48 AM   #6
deeJayOg
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Trying to revive this thread maybe we get someone who has more clue

I tried on my own to do some tests. Every time I used Kickdown (so the accelerator pedal is completely pressed).

Sport Mode - Gearbox D - Seems slower (maybe 252hp here)
Sport Mode - Gearbox S - Seems quicker for sure, revs are higher (thinking this may also set it for 292hp)
XtraBoost Mode - Gearbox D - Seems as Sport + S
XtraBoost Mode - Gearbox S - Can't seem to note the car to be quicker, but it does rev a bit more it seems.

Tried asking BMW, they sent me to the dealership. The dealership said it's only giving 292hp in XtraBoost mode, and none other. I tend to "feel" that Gearbox in S , even in Sport gets the whole 292hp. But I may also be way off.

I find it a bit frustrating that there is no clear information specified. I mean sure, the manual and also the onboard manual say something in that particular way, but it is way too vague for my taste.
      12-04-2023, 04:41 AM   #7
deeJayOg
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Checked out this guy here and my theory seems to hold: