2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Drive Modes

09-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Drive Modes

Has anyone found a decent explanation of what the drive modes do as opposed to the waste of space that is the owners manual?

In Sport Individual I'm really not sure what the Engine settings do?

I'd also like to know a bit more about how Adaptive works and what it is really doing.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Has anyone found a decent explanation of what the drive modes do as opposed to the waste of space that is the owners manual?

I'd also like to know a bit more about how Adaptive works and what it is really doing.

Thanks.
Follows very much the same as previous models, just more options with individual. Engine changes the throttle mapping.

There are quite a few threads on the Adaptive Mode function. Has a Comfort bias, but has a wider spread as it can adapt to sport settings when conditions and driver inputs demand. SatNav gives a degree of predictive input, for bends, approaching roundabouts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Follows very much the same as previous models, just more options with individual. Engine changes the throttle mapping.

There are quite a few threads on the Adaptive Mode function. Has a Comfort bias, but has a wider spread as it can adapt to sport settings when conditions and driver inputs demand. SatNav gives a degree of predictive input, for bends, approaching roundabouts, etc.
Thanks Pete. So by Engine they mean throttle! Those Germans eh.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I find the adaptive mode awful, I like to know exactly how the car is going to react at any given time.. with that you’ve no idea.

Comfort for me 60%, Sport 30% and Sport+ with manual gears and sport traction 10%
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 03:23 AM   #5
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

I followed the advice of someone on another post, tried engine in sport+, gearbox in sport and steering and damping in comfort and it's brilliant, comfortable but with instant pickup if needed, stick to the left for the full banana.

Edit : it was DavidXJ
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ661.50
      09-25-2021, 05:23 AM   #6
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
I followed the advice of someone on another post, tried engine in sport+, gearbox in sport and steering and damping in comfort and it's brilliant, comfortable but with instant pickup if needed, stick to the left for the full banana.

Interesting. I'm currently being good and sticking to Comfort whilst running in but I was already thinking that Engine and Transmission in Sport and everything else in Comfort will be my starting point with this. I'll doubtless try your combo too.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 02:42 AM   #7
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:

Ditto.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ661.50
      09-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #8
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. I'm currently being good and sticking to Comfort whilst running in but I was already thinking that Engine and Transmission in Sport and everything else in Comfort will be my starting point with this. I'll doubtless try your combo too.
Thanks to the folks who referenced my earlier advice--hope the combos I suggested are useful. I'd endorse your cautiousness while running in; and until you reach the requisite 1200 miles, Comfort is a pretty failsafe way of ensuring you're revs don't regularly exceed 4.5K. Once you venture into Sport (and especially with the gear box in S/M), the engine is more reluctant to downshift--and in turn, it's more tempting (!) to open it up through the rev range as it hangs in the mid-gears for longer. As for Adaptive, I too hardly ever use it: I just find it unsettling to think that I ought be relying on the system to anticipate conditions that I can adequately foresee and respond to myself anyway. In addition, it's no more comfortable (in terms of adapting the suspension etc) than Comfort typically is on varied surfaces or motorway hauls. All of which is to say that the Sport Individual option really comes into its own once you've run the car in. I suspect having the suspension set in Comfort will probably be your preferred choice; but beyond that, you can have a lot of fun alternating the engine between Sport and Sport Plus, depending on whether you also want to put the stick in S while in that mode. What I've never been able to get on with is having the gearbox/transmission in Sport Plus--it's just too hyperactive and somewhat two-dimensional (though on a track I could see how it might be advantageous).

Hope this helps!

--David

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #9
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Going off topic slightly, running in isn’t particularly easy if you happen to have a 330e. My car has done around 3000 miles so far, but I’ve absolutely no idea how many of those used the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Going off topic slightly, running in isn't particularly easy if you happen to have a 330e. My car has done around 3000 miles so far, but I've absolutely no idea how many of those used the engine.
It's a guess but if you set your journey data to ex-works is it not on there somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Going off topic slightly, running in isn’t particularly easy if you happen to have a 330e. My car has done around 3000 miles so far, but I’ve absolutely no idea how many of those used the engine.
On mine if I hit the top button on the left stalk it tells me how many miles were electric?
Appreciate 1
G42Bama402.50
      10-05-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Adaptive vs Comfort mode

Have had my 330i thirty months now and I must say I find Comfort mode too soft for my day to day driving, at anytime anywhere.

I find Adaptive excellent, as it covers all my needs on surburban, urban and usually motorways where it adjusts nicely except when hard pushed when I will use Sport mode.
However, I can understand that for some people an unexpected variable change in mode my be a unsettling rather than the known.

But in my usual driving I do not drive in the manner of pointing the car in the bend with toe hard down!
Appreciate 0