Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Synthetic Oil?

01-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Synthetic Oil?

Do BMW dealers use strictly synthetic oil for the G20?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Foolishly, I posted that question thinking it was an easy question; is the answer to this one nebulous among BMW owners?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
ByronWalter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
They better be using full synthetic as it's what BMW calls for.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I’d be extremely surprised if they were using mineral/conventional oil!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronWalter View Post
They better be using full synthetic as it's what BMW calls for.
Does the owners manual specify that? I tried to view the owners manual for my VIN (still being manufactured) and it wasn't available yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I’d be extremely surprised if they were using mineral/conventional oil!
That was my thought too, but then I read about folks changing oil at 5,000 miles, where most oil analyses I've seen show not much difference on the condition of synthetic at 5k miles.

Is there somewhere online I can read about specifics around oil changes for the 2020 330i? My car is being built so no owners manual yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Of course they do, cmon man, I can guarantee you 100% that they use the correct oil
      01-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That was my thought too, but then I read about folks changing oil at 5,000 miles, where most oil analyses I've seen show not much difference on the condition of synthetic at 5k miles.

Is there somewhere online I can read about specifics around oil changes for the 2020 330i? My car is being built so no owners manual yet.
Well yes. If you strictly change oil every 5k miles, I don’t think it matters much if you use synthetic or mineral. But BMW claims oil changes at 10k miles? I’d definitely stick to synthetic then.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Of course they do, cmon man, I can guarantee you 100% that they use the correct oil
Sure, I was assuming dealers use the correct oil, but my question is really asking (in part) what the "correct" oil is for these cars. Admittedly, my wording of the question wasn't optimal - I was trying to keep it simple.

Better wording would have been:
1. Does BMW recommend synthetic for all G20 cars?
2. Do dealers always put synthetic or do they cheap out during free maintenance period

Apologies for confusion / laziness on my part.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well yes. If you strictly change oil every 5k miles, I don’t think it matters much if you use synthetic or mineral. But BMW claims oil changes at 10k miles? I’d definitely stick to synthetic then.
I thought that's what I had read elsewhere in this forum (10k). I know Lexus started doing synthetic 0w20 with 10k recommended change in their cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, I was assuming dealers use the correct oil, but my question is really asking (in part) what the "correct" oil is for these cars. Admittedly, my wording of the question wasn't optimal - I was trying to keep it simple.

Better wording would have been:
1. Does BMW recommend synthetic for all G20 cars?
2. Do dealers always put synthetic or do they cheap out during free maintenance period

Apologies for confusion / laziness on my part.
The correct oil is the one specified in the sticker under your hood, and bmw puts that exact oil in your car they don't cheap out
      01-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I thought that's what I had read elsewhere in this forum (10k). I know Lexus started doing synthetic 0w20 with 10k recommended change in their cars.
I don't understand what's so hard to understand, you should always put the oil that is specified in the sticker under your hood, so if it's specified synthetic you use synthetic why would you ever use a different oil?? The engine is made specifically for that exact oil, there are certain passages thru the engine where different viscosity of oil simply wont get thru as fast or get thru at all
      01-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand what's so hard to understand, you should always put the oil that is specified in the sticker under your hood, so if it's specified synthetic you use synthetic why would you ever use a different oil?? The engine is made specifically for that exact oil, there are certain passages thru the engine where different viscosity of oil simply wont get thru as fast or get thru at all
Did you happen to notice my car listed with my name? Car is still on order, so I cannot see the sticker yet. I said nothing about wanting to use a different oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #14
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

I thought OP was asking whether the dealership actually uses synthetic oil or not. I know many places where they claim to use synthetic oil but it’s actually semi-synthetic or even mineral oil (and they bill you for fully synthetic oil). I didn’t think he meant he wanted to use conventional oil in place of synthetic oil.
And, I think, more than whether it’s synthetic or mineral oil that an engine “needs”, it’s the viscosity that matters. Why do I say that? The first car I ever owned (back in 2008) came with mineral oil from the factory and they used mineral oil for a few years before switching over to fully synthetic oil. But I’m no expert. That’s just what I think and if anyone can prove me wrong, I’ll definitely update my knowledge and be thankful. I don’t know if you can get mineral and synthetic oil with the same multi grade viscosity (I assume you can but again, I could be wrong, since this isn’t my area of expertise).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #15
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought OP was asking whether the dealership actually uses synthetic oil or not. I know many places where they claim to use synthetic oil but it’s actually semi-synthetic or even mineral oil (and they bill you for fully synthetic oil). I didn’t think he meant he wanted to use conventional oil in place of synthetic oil.
And, I think, more than whether it’s synthetic or mineral oil that an engine “needs”, it’s the viscosity that matters. Why do I say that? The first car I ever owned (back in 2008) came with mineral oil from the factory and they used mineral oil for a few years before switching over to fully synthetic oil. But I’m no expert. That’s just what I think and if anyone can prove me wrong, I’ll definitely update my knowledge and be thankful. I don’t know if you can get mineral and synthetic oil with the same multi grade viscosity (I assume you can but again, I could be wrong, since this isn’t my area of expertise).
I'm just grateful someone fully read and understood my post

Yes, you've got a good grasp on what I was asking. In some of the second gen Lexus IS engines, there was a problem with carbon build up and a recall with corrected engine design, but it also came to light that the ones who never had the carbon build up were the ones running synthetic. By the third generation, Lexus was putting only synthetic 0w20 from day one.

But, those are naturally aspirated engines. I wasn't sure what the scoop was with the newer turbo charged 4 cylinders; just trying to learn as much as I can about the car before mine is delivered.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm just grateful someone fully read and understood my post

Yes, you've got a good grasp on what I was asking. In some of the second gen Lexus IS engines, there was a problem with carbon build up and a recall with corrected engine design, but it also came to light that the ones who never had the carbon build up were the ones running synthetic. By the third generation, Lexus was putting only synthetic 0w20 from day one.

But, those are naturally aspirated engines. I wasn't sure what the scoop was with the newer turbo charged 4 cylinders; just trying to learn as much as I can about the car before mine is delivered.
I can assure you that that’s exactly why they switched over to fully synthetic in my first car too (though it was a Hyundai with a measly NA 1.0l engine (yes. 1.0l)). Carbon build up causing issues.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #17
ByronWalter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

You will also find the correct oil specs in your manual. That's where I found it. Also when you pick up your car, get them to give you a spare liter (or pay for it if you have to). Just make sure it's the proper one for your car. My service person tried to sell me the wrong grade so I asked him to look it up, which he did, and that did the trick... but why he wouldn't know that is a mystery to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #18
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronWalter View Post
You will also find the correct oil specs in your manual. That's where I found it. Also when you pick up your car, get them to give you a spare liter (or pay for it if you have to). Just make sure it's the proper one for your car. My service person tried to sell me the wrong grade so I asked him to look it up, which he did, and that did the trick... but why he wouldn't know that is a mystery to me.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I'm making notes on things I plan to ask when I take delivery. Also occasionally tracking the production process to see if it will allow early access to the online owners manual (site says not ready yet).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Dealers use the BMW TPT in whatever weight is required for your vehicle. This oil is a "synthetic".

Due to the fact that the majority of sales are leases and maintenance is included in combination with the long interval BMW dealers can't get away with using the inappropriate oil. They would have a hard time explaining away sludged engines when they have on record all of the required oil changes.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #20
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Dealers use the BMW TPT in whatever weight is required for your vehicle. This oil is a "synthetic".

Due to the fact that the majority of sales are leases and maintenance is included in combination with the long interval BMW dealers can't get away with using the inappropriate oil. They would have a hard time explaining away sludged engines when they have on record all of the required oil changes.
I have no idea why people are skeptical of the oil/fluids BMW uses - the dealership and/or BMW has nothing to gain from not using what they recommend especially if most cars are leases.

I'd be more concerned if they even did the work but if they do, I see no advantage of not using what BMW recommends especially if you work at a BMW dealership that provides you everything from BMW.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      04-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #21
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:

I have no idea why people are skeptical of the oil/fluids BMW uses - the dealership and/or BMW has nothing to gain from not using what they recommend especially if most cars are leases.

I'd be more concerned if they even did the work but if they do, I see no advantage of not using what BMW recommends especially if you work at a BMW dealership that provides you everything from BMW.
I've heard dealers of other makes (I.e. VW) use whatever bulk oil they can buy, but BMW is a different animal.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #22
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
I've heard dealers of other makes (I.e. VW) use whatever bulk oil they can buy, but BMW is a different animal.
Which is weird because I'm sure companies like VW (and subsidiaries) all have parts volume bonuses so if you're buying fluids from VW to get those bonuses and don't use them, where do they go and what's the point? But like you said, BMW is a different animal if only for the fact of the no-charge maintenance and that they have strict purchase targets for the parts department.
Appreciate 0