Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Reparations

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Genieman
First Lieutenant
205
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Reparations

Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
675
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Kind of a moot point isn't it? Everybody that was a slave in America is dead now, so it's a little late for that.
If the Government owes anybody money to compensate for some wrongs done to them by the Government, there are a few Japanese citizens still alive that were rounded up and put in detainment camps during WWII.
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.
Appreciate 1
Delta03117395.00

      06-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
The Chaddening's Avatar
8686
Rep
4,357
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Weld County, CO

iTrader: (0)

Completely ridiculous.
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Edition

Pronouns: Bro/Bruh
Appreciate 5
      06-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
7395
Rep
10,130
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Completely ridiculous.
Aka Democrats bribing black people for their vote. You know the same Democratic party that once supported slavery and Jim Crow.
Appreciate 5
arkie6359.00
Now_Rudi7605.00
MKSixer23370.00

      06-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Genieman
First Lieutenant
205
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

With all the recent congressional testimony and a large number of democratic candidate proponents of the idea, the question is are they serious about it or just pandering for votes?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
7395
Rep
10,130
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
With all the recent congressional testimony and a large number of democratic candidate proponents of the idea, the question is are they serious about it or just pandering for votes?
See above. It is called desperation
Appreciate 1
Genieman204.50

      06-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
Genieman
First Lieutenant
205
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
With all the recent congressional testimony and a large number of democratic candidate proponents of the idea, the question is are they serious about it or just pandering for votes?
See above. It is called desperation
Bribes are actually paid, there's a certain quid pro quo. This, if disingenuous, is even worse, it's a promise to bribe without the intent of actually paying. If genuine that's a different conversation about the validity of the idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
644
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC and a Volvo XC60 T6i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: St Paul, MN

iTrader: (0)

This reparations talk during the run-up to the election is kind of like saying over and over that Mexico is going to pay for the wall. Ain't going to happen, but sure sounds nice to your base and gets them all ginned up.
Appreciate 4
      06-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
1594
Rep
1,695
Posts

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Saint Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
This reparations talk during the run-up to the election is kind of like saying over and over that Mexico is going to pay for the wall. Ain't going to happen, but sure sounds nice to your base and gets them all ginned up.


Nailed it

See also; lock her up
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
CigarPundit's Avatar
United_States
1363
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Beyond ridiculous. The whole narrative that singles out America as if it’s the only country that had slavery, and blacks as if they are the only people who were slaves, is completely false. More whites were enslaved by the Barbary Pirates in North Africa than there were black slaves in America.

It’s such a perfectly absurd liberal idea: People who never owned slaves are forced to pay people who never were slaves to achieve some contrived “social justice,” which in reality is the precise opposite and will only serve to further divide the culture through weaponized tribalism.

Who pays it? Should people whose ancestors came here after the civil war pay? How about people from the north? Or anyone who’s family never owned slaves? How about people who’s family was from the south before the civil war but were too poor to own slaves?

Who gets it? Blacks who arrived after emancipation? Blacks from countries other than Africa? Could you imagine the bureaucratic nightmare that would be constructed to implement this, and the fraud that would go on in the claims process?

I agree that it will never happen, and that it is pure pandering of the worst kind.
__________________
"God bless our troops...Especially our snipers.”
Appreciate 1
lakefront270.50

      06-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
1594
Rep
1,695
Posts

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Saint Louis

iTrader: (0)

Aren't these reparations focusing on things other than slavery? Jim crow, redlining, etc?
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10424
Rep
13,144
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Dumb idea. Wasn't there a thread on this 2 weeks ago?
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10424
Rep
13,144
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Kind of like MAGA?
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Genieman
First Lieutenant
205
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Kind of like MAGA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Dumb idea. Wasn't there a thread on this 2 weeks ago?
I must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Kind of like MAGA?
I'm failing to understand the connection you're tying to make.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
644
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC and a Volvo XC60 T6i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: St Paul, MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Aka Democrats bribing black people for their vote. You know the same Democratic party that once supported slavery and Jim Crow.
You do realize that part of that Democratic party from the south is now the Republican party we know today, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10424
Rep
13,144
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Kind of like MAGA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Dumb idea. Wasn't there a thread on this 2 weeks ago?
I must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Been seeing a bit on the news abt it with some testifying in congress both pro and con.

Thoughts?
Kind of like MAGA?
I'm failing to understand the connection you're tying to make.
The connection: some Democrats are trying to make a connection between being elected and bringing up a bogus slogan or issue. Maga is the same thing. Was America not already great? When was America not great???
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
11077
Rep
15,355
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Every Christmas and on a few other meaningful days I take 5 candles to the cemetery.

The first one I lay on my dad's grave. The second one to my war veteran great aunt's and her vet spouse's grave. The third one on the veteran memorial. The fourth goes to my grandparents on my father's side. The fifth goes to the grave of the fallen soldiers of the communists in our civil war.

They got their memorial in the seventies, to a far away corner of the cemetery. They actually were pretty much slaughtered on the family cemetery, and on our grounds also.

I go there, with my deeply black soul and my extremely while (capitalists, the reds were the communists in our civil war) bloodlines to thank them for their fight. I thank them for sacrificing so much for a more equal Finland, and for their fight towards a united Finland later.

You can't correct all the wrongs done with money, but the scars of slavery are way bigger than the scars of our bloody civil war. Improving your education system for example could be seen as an act of reparation.

All I know is that a grandfather of my kid's teacher died in the prison camps and my family apparently was to blame. My kid was born about 90 years after it, and though I haven't been able to find a reliable source for that yet, I personally as the future head of the family that caused them pain, went to her and apologized. She cried for an hour, showed me old pictures and we had a honest chat about the long lasting scars of those awful days.

I lost two hours, and maybe she feels better now and i got a whole new data bank to follow through when it comes to my legacy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 3
MKSixer23370.00

      06-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
zx10guy
Colonel
2621
Rep
2,577
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Every Christmas and on a few other meaningful days I take 5 candles to the cemetery.

The first one I lay on my dad's grave. The second one to my war veteran great aunt's and her vet spouse's grave. The third one on the veteran memorial. The fourth goes to my grandparents on my father's side. The fifth goes to the grave of the fallen soldiers of the communists in our civil war.

They got their memorial in the seventies, to a far away corner of the cemetery. They actually were pretty much slaughtered on the family cemetery, and on our grounds also.

I go there, with my deeply black soul and my extremely while (capitalists, the reds were the communists in our civil war) bloodlines to thank them for their fight. I thank them for sacrificing so much for a more equal Finland, and for their fight towards a united Finland later.

You can't correct all the wrongs done with money, but the scars of slavery are way bigger than the scars of our bloody civil war. Improving your education system for example could be seen as an act of reparation.

All I know is that a grandfather of my kid's teacher died in the prison camps and my family apparently was to blame. My kid was born about 90 years after it, and though I haven't been able to find a reliable source for that yet, I personally as the future head of the family that caused them pain, went to her and apologized. She cried for an hour, showed me old pictures and we had a honest chat about the long lasting scars of those awful days.

I lost two hours, and maybe she feels better now and i got a whole new data bank to follow through when it comes to my legacy.
I wouldn't say you lost two hours. To me, it seemed both of you gained something from those two hours.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 3
Lups11076.50
MKSixer23370.00

      06-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #19
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
11077
Rep
15,355
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I wouldn't say you lost two hours. To me, it seemed both of you gained something from those two hours.
That's what saying I'm sorry and acknowledging history does. She still hated my kid, but she did ask for the school exhibit of the civil war to include a partition that I wanted to be included.

" there is a war with more prosperous for all of our people to be fought, we all should do it in a voting booth."

Her family went to fight to have something, ended up with a single mom raising a 9 month old girl. That mom thanks to new regulations managed to provide for her baby and put her through schools. She did remarry and lost a second husband in the ww2, fighting Russians to keep us independent (under mannerheim, the same man who lead the capitalists in the civil war).

I completely get the need talk about history and even about monetary compensations. Slavery, just like our civil war is not something anyone should try to pretend never happened. I'm more in favour of the South Africa truth commission model, you have enough people walking around that would benefit from it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #20
Genieman
First Lieutenant
205
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Every Christmas and on a few other meaningful days I take 5 candles to the cemetery.

The first one I lay on my dad's grave. The second one to my war veteran great aunt's and her vet spouse's grave. The third one on the veteran memorial. The fourth goes to my grandparents on my father's side. The fifth goes to the grave of the fallen soldiers of the communists in our civil war.

They got their memorial in the seventies, to a far away corner of the cemetery. They actually were pretty much slaughtered on the family cemetery, and on our grounds also.

I go there, with my deeply black soul and my extremely while (capitalists, the reds were the communists in our civil war) bloodlines to thank them for their fight. I thank them for sacrificing so much for a more equal Finland, and for their fight towards a united Finland later.

You can't correct all the wrongs done with money, but the scars of slavery are way bigger than the scars of our bloody civil war. Improving your education system for example could be seen as an act of reparation.

All I know is that a grandfather of my kid's teacher died in the prison camps and my family apparently was to blame. My kid was born about 90 years after it, and though I haven't been able to find a reliable source for that yet, I personally as the future head of the family that caused them pain, went to her and apologized. She cried for an hour, showed me old pictures and we had a honest chat about the long lasting scars of those awful days.

I lost two hours, and maybe she feels better now and i got a whole new data bank to follow through when it comes to my legacy.
This is nice of you, but I wouldn't call this "reparations." Our two chambers of Congress both apologized officially in 2008 and 2009 respectively. And any person who individually feels guilty or complicit in either slavery (directly or ancestrally,) or any of the Jim Crow era systemic racism, can feel free to offer a personal apology, as well as to donate to a cause to help the marginalized or oppressed population. The real question are:

1. Should the country as a whole consider reparations?
2. If so, what would be the result?

Really curious to know if there are actual proponents of reparations and get their honest take on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
11077
Rep
15,355
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
This is nice of you, but I wouldn't call this "reparations." Our two chambers of Congress both apologized officially in 2008 and 2009 respectively. And any person who individually feels guilty or complicit in either slavery (directly or ancestrally,) or any of the Jim Crow era systemic racism, can feel free to offer a personal apology, as well as to donate to a cause to help the marginalized or oppressed population. The real question are:

1. Should the country as a whole consider reparations?
2. If so, what would be the result?

Really curious to know if there are actual proponents of reparations and get their honest take on it.
My country adopted the cause the reds fought for in many ways, we decided we needed things like social security, healthcare and education while being capitalists.

Our civil war happened in 1918. I do believe the slavery ended with your civil war, but the respect towards black members of your country has never been lifted to the white man level. Lynching is allowed there still in some states, your criminal justice system is fucked and poverty is concentrated in communities of color, and especially in the south.

Education takes 25 to fix shit. It's worth in tax dollars later on.

I wouldn't call what I did reparations. I'd call what my country has done an effort.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #22
vreihen16
Lieutenant
vreihen16's Avatar
United_States
2065
Rep
484
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm always fascinated by the view of life in the USA from outsiders.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 18K miles
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST