Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Is COVID-19 causing you to reconsider taking delivery?

03-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Is COVID-19 causing you to reconsider taking delivery?

With everything going on with more and more people being unable to work, the market dropping daily, and uncertainly of the days/months ahead, is anyone debating whether they'll still take delivery of their vehicle when it arrives?

'20 Portimao Blue M340i – Current
'17 Dark Graphite 530i – Retired
'14 Alpine White 328i – Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

I have one due in end of March, on a boat, set for end of March collection. The market reactions make me want to delay delivery until April to see the new lease rates. (leasing)
OR
If they drop to 0-0.9% (like in Oct 2008) I may look to buy the car.

I want to go through the break in process asap with the open roadways with everyone at home.
Appreciate 1
37b86.00
      03-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Same sentiments as MUFCbmwbear. Waiting for those rate cuts.
Appreciate 2
37b86.00
      03-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFusion FX View Post
With everything going on with more and more people being unable to work, the market dropping daily, and uncertainly of the days/months ahead, is anyone debating whether they'll still take delivery of their vehicle when it arrives?
I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned. For me, I've been waiting so long for this moment that I'm going to take a deep breath into the icy waters and hope I make it to shore before I drown.

Poetry aside, for me it comes down to simple math. If I miss my opportunity now, I may find myself in a suboptimal position to do it again later. As long as my family and loved ones are being cared for by my decisions, I accept a level of personal risk for myself.

Ten or five years ago I probably would have thought twice, but now I am more confident in my choices. Whether or not that is good or bad I will leave others to judge
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Doesn't really make me rethink my order, but I'm certainly worried about delays in the order now. I just got my production scheduled for a M340i xDrive last night so today's news is not great. Still really love what bmw has done with the M340, though and am really looking forward to taking delivery of it (whenever that is).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
vikaspratap
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsatbhs View Post
Doesn't really make me rethink my order, but I'm certainly worried about delays in the order now. I just got my production scheduled for a M340i xDrive last night so today's news is not great. Still really love what bmw has done with the M340, though and am really looking forward to taking delivery of it (whenever that is).
I am in the boat as you. Ordered the car through a broker last Wednesday and it hasn't moved from scheduled from production since then. When you think the cars are going to be delivered?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikaspratap View Post
Quote:
I am in the boat as you. Ordered the car through a broker last Wednesday and it hasn't moved from scheduled from production since then. When you think the cars are going to be delivered?
No idea, I'm hoping the delay isn't much longer than a month or so, but who really knows. I don't actually need the car until late July so I think I should still be good...
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

I’ve been waiting for our new car allowance and that’s all on hold which I can appreciate. Hopefully we’re back to normal soon enough and it feels like we’ll either have more negotiating power and/or have better rates.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #9
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGambler View Post
I’ve been waiting for our new car allowance and that’s all on hold which I can appreciate. Hopefully we’re back to normal soon enough and it feels like we’ll either have more negotiating power and/or have better rates.
Yeah, I'm hoping for better rates since I've already signed a deal. Wouldn't be surprised to see the rates drop.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I've waited so long for my car and tbh I've worked my ass off to get to a point where I'm able to afford a car like this at my age.

I work a full time day job (which excels during times of recession thankfully), and started my own business 2 years ago (in addition to my day job) and couldn't be happier with how things have panned out so far.

Although the market may be taking a shit, this is a dream coming true of mine and thankfully this whole COVID-19 ordeal shouldn't have as drastic of an impact on my finances as it unfortunately will with others. I'd be lying if I said I didn't give it some thought, but there's going to be lots of new opportunities out there due to this downturn that could yield very positive results down the road.
Appreciate 1
hans007604.50
      03-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #11
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I work in medicine so I feel like I have some good job security. And I'm young so I don't have a ton in the market, and many years before considering retirement.

My PCD just got canceled yesterday because the Performance Center said they're very likely closing by next week and no one knows for how long. My car had to be re-routed to my dealer by today at noon so there was not much time to consider. Luckily my CA discounted my car an extra $700 to cover the shipping of it down to me.

I'm pissed, it sucks, you'll probably see me bitching about it all over this forum for the next few weeks sorry. I'm also pissed that he had to put together the contract yesterday so there's no waiting for April numbers.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Placed my order for a 330i on Monday. It already shows in the production queue as of this morning. Hopefully the factory stays open!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Quote:
Placed my order for a 330i on Monday. It already shows in the production queue as of this morning. Hopefully the factory stays open!
I assume your 330i is to be manufactured at the Mexico plant? I haven't seen anything that says they are going to close, but you never know. Mine was scheduled for the Germany plant, but we know that's not happening now. Will be curious to see how they handle this.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep

My M340i is at the port in Germany awaiting shipment and I changed PCD yesterday to have it sent to my dealership.....sold my M2 last month to pay for the new car so I hope it gets here.
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #15
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
I assume your 330i is to be manufactured at the Mexico plant? I haven't seen anything that says they are going to close, but you never know. Mine was scheduled for the Germany plant, but we know that's not happening now. Will be curious to see how they handle this.
Yes, I was told the 330i s are assembled in Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #16
Aileron88
Rep
Drives: M340i

I'm due to pick up my M340i in the UK tomorrow, but am feeling very anxious about it due to the current economic climate. Uncertain times ahead.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      03-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #17
hans007
Major
Rep

when i picked up my car 2/28 last month when this was just starting (was an order so its not like I impulse bought it), I felt kind of bad after looking at my portfolio.

But a friend of mine was like, well you could die any day or get that virus, who knows and I was like yeah true that.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #18
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickForLife View Post
Quote:
I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned. For me, I've been waiting so long for this moment that I'm going to take a deep breath into the icy waters and hope I make it to shore before I drown.

Poetry aside, for me it comes down to simple math. If I miss my opportunity now, I may find myself in a suboptimal position to do it again later. As long as my family and loved ones are being cared for by my decisions, I accept a level of personal risk for myself.

Ten or five years ago I probably would have thought twice, but now I am more confident in my choices. Whether or not that is good or bad I will leave others to judge
Well put.

Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #19
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikaspratap View Post
Quote:
I ordered on 2/26 and it went into scheduled within 5 days and eventually moved back to ordered received. My broker called and said he sorted things out and hours later it moved into production. However, it's still sitting. I was told 4/18 would be completion date. Who knows now. I was told by my broker that there have been part delays so you may be waiting a bit.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #20
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
I've waited so long for my car and tbh I've worked my ass off to get to a point where I'm able to afford a car like this at my age.

I work a full time day job (which excels during times of recession thankfully), and started my own business 2 years ago (in addition to my day job) and couldn't be happier with how things have panned out so far.

Although the market may be taking a shit, this is a dream coming true of mine and thankfully this whole COVID-19 ordeal shouldn't have as drastic of an impact on my finances as it unfortunately will with others. I'd be lying if I said I didn't give it some thought, but there's going to be lots of new opportunities out there due to this downturn that could yield very positive results down the road.
What do you do that excels during these times if you don't mind me asking?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #21
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileron88 View Post
I'm due to pick up my M340i in the UK tomorrow, but am feeling very anxious about it due to the current economic climate. Uncertain times ahead.
This is where I'm at. My car won't arrive til end of April at the earliest but who knows where things will be by then. Work is solid for now but things could change if this keeps up too long. And if work goes under, it might not be wise to pick this up given everything as I'd have to take care of. Only time will tell. Hoping for the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post

What do you do that excels during these times if you don't mind me asking?
It's complicated to explain in laymen's terms. Essentially I work in critical power support and the service/consulting our engineers provide is looked at as a necessity for most data centers, manufacturer's, hospitals, etc. So In times of recession customers will drop the OEM service providers and use us instead, as we are the largest independent contractor in the industry.

We mostly work with UPS units and most people aren't familiar with them so it's hard to explain.
Appreciate 0