Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Steering issue - 2021 M440i xdrive

06-27-2023, 11:09 PM   #1
New2a430i
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M440i xDrive

Steering issue - 2021 M440i xdrive

Hoping someone can lend me some insight. I’ve taken my G22 to the dealership twice, but they can’t duplicate what I’m feeling. At highways speeds, there is a sensation of minor play in the steering, accompanied by an inaudible pop or bump when I correct steering. I sometimes feeling it during a sweeping curve in the road, but even feel it on long straight roads. It very well could be that I am magnifying the sensation in my mind and that it is present in every vehicle, but I do not feel it at all in my wife’s ‘23 X3 xdrive.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

My 2020 M340i has an intermittent notch in the steering that shows up on center or just off center. It will only happen when the car is warm and is more likely to happen when the weather is warm. The feeling of the notch can range from barely noticeable to somewhat troubling when you need to constantly steer through it. I will be taking it in in the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

The steering notch is a ‘feature’ of the rack, my M2C which I believe has the same rack used to do it occasionally. If you search there are threads on it. Not had my M340i long enough, will see if it does the same. Wasn’t a highway speeds thing though, it would feature on quick direction changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 06:41 PM   #4
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2a430i View Post
Hoping someone can lend me some insight. I’ve taken my G22 to the dealership twice, but they can’t duplicate what I’m feeling. At highways speeds, there is a sensation of minor play in the steering, accompanied by an inaudible pop or bump when I correct steering. I sometimes feeling it during a sweeping curve in the road, but even feel it on long straight roads. It very well could be that I am magnifying the sensation in my mind and that it is present in every vehicle, but I do not feel it at all in my wife’s ‘23 X3 xdrive.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?
Apologies for pointing out the obvious, but your steering should not have a notch or bump that you can feel,
under any steering conditions, IMO. I'm in a 22 M340i, and I'd guess our racks are similar, or exactly the same.
There is no notch or bump in my steering. It is butter smooth.

Minor play, and even some minor wander have been reported by many forum members.
I had a mild version of that when new, but has been mostly eliminated by a wheel alignment.

If it continues, gets worse, or just becomes an annoying concern, perhaps find another service dept.
Dealerships are great at "not being able to duplicate the problem". Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2023, 03:28 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4c View Post
Apologies for pointing out the obvious, but your steering should not have a notch or bump that you can feel,
under any steering conditions, IMO. I'm in a 22 M340i, and I'd guess our racks are similar, or exactly the same.
There is no notch or bump in my steering. It is butter smooth.

Minor play, and even some minor wander have been reported by many forum members.
I had a mild version of that when new, but has been mostly eliminated by a wheel alignment.
I agree with the above, there shouldn't be any notch or bump under any steering conditions.

Following the OP's comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2a430i View Post
At highways speeds, there is a sensation of minor play in the steering, accompanied by an inaudible pop or bump when I correct steering. I sometimes feeling it during a sweeping curve in the road, but even feel it on long straight roads.
I suspect it is an "on-off" feeling when power assistance is called for. I've felt this in some models of EPS, but not the 3-series. I do wonder if some examples do have a slightly different tolerance on the torque sensor and this is what drivers are picking up.

I've commented on a G20 with the (320d/330i) dual pinion rack, where I felt...

Quote:
... Drove straight, precise and accurate steering. Loaded up well in the bends, nothing artificial, and had a good return to centre feel to it.

The only thing I did notice, trying for the 'dead-center' so many report, was if you move the steering rapidly 'side to side' there is a slight feeling of a dead spot. If you are slightly slower in the input, no feeling of the dead-spot. It's as if the torque sensor signal is taking a few milliseconds too long, to be processed, before applying electric assist. A bit slower and it keeps up.
I'm minded there could be a tolerance stack issue in some racks, giving the reported variations of how the steering responds around center. This may be exaggerated with the limitations of the software.

Had an M235i GC last week, steering was as expected, no looseness or oddities mid position. Just like my F11 EPS, precise and smooth, progressively loads up, whether in comfort or sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:14 PM   #6
arentz07
drives cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 IS 500, '23 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I suspect it is an "on-off" feeling when power assistance is called for. I've felt this in some models of EPS, but not the 3-series.
I'm minded there could be a tolerance stack issue in some racks, giving the reported variations of how the steering responds around center. This may be exaggerated with the limitations of the software.
My IS 500 exhibits similar behavior sometimes. Comes and goes, and I don't really notice it unless it's hot outside and/or I am looking for it. I've never experienced it in any BMW I've driven, including our former G20 330i.

2023 BMW X3 | Phytonic Blue | Black Vernasca Leather | Dark Wood Trim
2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance | Infrared | Black NuLuxe
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 08:59 AM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The steering notch is a ‘feature’ of the rack, my M2C which I believe has the same rack used to do it occasionally. If you search there are threads on it. Not had my M340i long enough, will see if it does the same. Wasn’t a highway speeds thing though, it would feature on quick direction changes.
I'm not sure what you're describing but what I'm describing isn't a feature it's a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #8
ses87
Rep
Drives: M340

I've got the "notchy" steering too. Just hit 20k on my 22' 340. It started a couple thousand miles ago and has become more pronounced. Taking it in at the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Lol @ feature - my M340i doesn’t have this feature: steering is as smooth as can be.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Lol @ feature - my M340i doesn’t have this feature: steering is as smooth as can be.
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest
the ‘feature’ comment was said tongue in cheek.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2180.50
      07-18-2023, 06:26 AM   #11
gofast182
Captain
Rep

I just got my car back yesterday from having this issue addressed. They replaced both tie rods per a SIB that described similar symptoms. So far the notch issue seems to be fixed.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 06:56 PM   #12
Mark Venture
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i gone, G26 coming

Part of the reason I parted with my 2020 M340i. At highway speeds, during a turn, there was something I'd describe as resistance. You'd start to turn the wheel through a curve on the highway, and for the first inch or so, all was fine. Then it would feel like there was resistance to continued turning of the steering wheel. You'd have to overcome that resistance, and then, because I had to apply some extra force to overcome the resistance, once the resistance was overcome (after about a second) I'd now be applying a bit too much force and the wheel would jump a bit in the direction I was turning it. Not like "on my god I'm gonna crash" or anything like that, but enough to be a bit unnerving when traveling at speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #13
gofast182
Captain
Rep

^ Sounds like the tie rod issue I experienced but maybe even worse. I've also had instances where you need to steer through the resistance and then after you pass it you're turning a little too much.

Last edited by gofast182; 07-20-2023 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 06:45 AM   #14
gofast182
Captain
Rep

I reported earlier that the new tie rods fixed the notch issue, they have not. It was gone for a few days and then slowly began to come back. As of yesterday I'd describe it as being the same as it was before. Back to the dealer...
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #15
MegaMalding
Rep
Drives: G22 BMW

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 430i xDrive coupe  [0.00]
Sounds like tramlining if you ask me. Very hard to replicate and it just happens. You using reccomended PSI RFTs? If so that could be the culprit as they are notoriously known to cause that issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 05:17 AM   #16
Das_Stiggy
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i

Try turning off lane assist. I've felt it do weird things in corners like described here.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 05:47 AM   #17
phthalo_blue
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

My '22 G26 does the same. I recall reading a post from a guy who took his car to the dealer for this same problem, and they ended up having it for like 3 months. I think they were waiting on a steering rack replacement backorder, and after all that waiting, it didn't fix a thing.

I think the ONLY success story I've seen eliminating the issue is a steering column replacement. I've been dragging my feet on the dealership trip hoping the problem gets identified and a TSB issued.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #18
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330ix

I have a 2020 330ix M-Sport (I've had it since new) that developed this issue 2-3months ago. The shop foreman reproduced the issue in the car with me and agrees it's an issue - a case will be made with BMW Canada to try and get it resolved.

They predict that they'll need the car for a while, so I need to wait for when a loaner car is available. Tentatively scheduled for mid-August.

Steering Issue Symptoms
The steering wheel develops a looseness on-center, about 5 degrees left and right where I can wiggle it at any speed (even when the car is at a standstill) where the front wheels do not turn. When steering past the looseness, the steering suddenly firms up, as if hitting a notch where the car will suddenly respond to the steering input.

It's very annoying, and has occasionally caught me off guard, so at worst it's a minor safety issue.

How to reproduce
The issue only starts happening once my car is FULLY warmed up. Usually takes about 20min of highway driving. Happens more readily when the weather is hot.

What I know so far
Last year, fall of 2022, I received an OTA software update. I noticed that the update changed the steering feel, where it became heavier and I needed significantly less steering micro-adjustments on the highway to keep going straight. It was a good update.

Could the steering issue possibly be software-related? This is something the dealership will explore.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #19
SLGrassoPA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

This is a known issue. Some say it's the alignment, some say it's the pressure. But I was unable to ever get mine fixed no matter what I tried and no matter what the dealer tried.

The car wanders at any speed over 25-30 MPH requiring constant small corrections to keep going straight. Most that have the issue just learn to live with it. Good luck trying to fix it.

Starting At 22:25 - video for link regarding the exact 3 Series steering issue:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1774603

And read this (regarding x3(same steering as 3 series).

"The steering in this X3 leaves me with mixed feelings. I really enjoy driving around town thanks to its small dimensions, tight turning radius and overall maneuverability. On the highway it's a different story. The steering wheel is numb off-center. So after a short time on a straight road, with the steering wheel pointed dead-ahead, the car drifts slightly. It requires constant, small adjustments to keep the car in the middle of the lane. It happened often enough that I switched from Comfort to Sport mode, thinking the heavier steering setting might help. No such luck." — Mike Schmidt, senior manager, vehicle testing operations...

From the same review:

"Similar to the base X3, the M40i's steering sometimes succumbs to a heavy-yet-lifeless feel, giving the SUV a wandering sensation that's especially evident while cruising on a highway."

Here is the link:

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2022/...erm-road-test/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 02:49 PM   #20
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLGrassoPA View Post
This is a known issue. Some say it's the alignment, some say it's the pressure. But I was unable to ever get mine fixed no matter what I tried and no matter what the dealer tried.

The car wanders at any speed over 25-30 MPH requiring constant small corrections to keep going straight. Most that have the issue just learn to live with it. Good luck trying to fix it.

Starting At 22:25 - video for link regarding the exact 3 Series steering issue:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1774603

And read this (regarding x3(same steering as 3 series).

"The steering in this X3 leaves me with mixed feelings. I really enjoy driving around town thanks to its small dimensions, tight turning radius and overall maneuverability. On the highway it's a different story. The steering wheel is numb off-center. So after a short time on a straight road, with the steering wheel pointed dead-ahead, the car drifts slightly. It requires constant, small adjustments to keep the car in the middle of the lane. It happened often enough that I switched from Comfort to Sport mode, thinking the heavier steering setting might help. No such luck." — Mike Schmidt, senior manager, vehicle testing operations...

From the same review:

"Similar to the base X3, the M40i's steering sometimes succumbs to a heavy-yet-lifeless feel, giving the SUV a wandering sensation that's especially evident while cruising on a highway."

Here is the link:

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2022/...erm-road-test/
I didn't see the video but the text you posted has absolutely nothing to do with the notch that is referenced above. The reviewer is talking about overall general steering feel in a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #21
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorBimmer View Post
I have a 2020 330ix M-Sport (I've had it since new) that developed this issue 2-3months ago. The shop foreman reproduced the issue in the car with me and agrees it's an issue - a case will be made with BMW Canada to try and get it resolved.

They predict that they'll need the car for a while, so I need to wait for when a loaner car is available. Tentatively scheduled for mid-August.

Steering Issue Symptoms
The steering wheel develops a looseness on-center, about 5 degrees left and right where I can wiggle it at any speed (even when the car is at a standstill) where the front wheels do not turn. When steering past the looseness, the steering suddenly firms up, as if hitting a notch where the car will suddenly respond to the steering input.

It's very annoying, and has occasionally caught me off guard, so at worst it's a minor safety issue.

How to reproduce
The issue only starts happening once my car is FULLY warmed up. Usually takes about 20min of highway driving. Happens more readily when the weather is hot.

What I know so far
Last year, fall of 2022, I received an OTA software update. I noticed that the update changed the steering feel, where it became heavier and I needed significantly less steering micro-adjustments on the highway to keep going straight. It was a good update.

Could the steering issue possibly be software-related? This is something the dealership will explore.
This almost exactly describes my issue. They updated the software late last year but it didn't help. I did a ride-along with the shop foreman at my local dealer after the new tie rods didn't work and while we didn't duplicate the notch on that particular ride it made another steering noise so he's going to attempt replacing the rack when the car goes in next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 04:16 PM   #22
SLGrassoPA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
I didn't see the video but the text you posted has absolutely nothing to do with the notch that is referenced above. The reviewer is talking about overall general steering feel in a brand new car.
Sorry about that. I was trying to assist - the original post made in this thread in which the person states "there is a sensation of minor play in the steering".

That is a known issue with the 3 series. Seems like some have it and some don't.
Appreciate 0