Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions March 2020 Software Update

05-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #23
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

Ok Just had some time to look around.

Two things missing now:
1) No longer can pick the weather on the main screen. It is no longer an option.
2) When going into car/settings/climate you can no longer control the seats or heated steering wheel options. Rules are no longer there. Can pick the temp of the seats when to come on or anything. Unless they moved it somewhere.

So far all i have found.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:19 AM   #24
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I would avoid 13.4.1 and 13.4 in general.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #25
deoxys
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I'm on version 7/2019.55 and my car was delivered early November.

So far I haven't had any major issues so I really don't want to rock the boat with convincing the dealer to do an update and cause potential issues.

Only thing I'm missing is Spotify which I really would like. I already coded auto heated steering wheel and my car came from the factory with the assisted driving view. The app so far has been pretty decent. I use it to start the car all the time and I've only had it not work a handful of times. The only other problem with the app is that on my previous Samsung S10+ I was able to use it as a digital key, however with my newer S20 Ultra the digital key is not supported apparently.

I'm holding out for the 7/2020 version where hopefully we will get Android Auto.
Did you have the driving assistance professional option? (With a radar in front bumper)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #26
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Did you have the driving assistance professional option? (With a radar in front bumper)
Yes I do.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #27
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

I went to BMW.com software update, loaded my VIN and got message that all soft updates are automatic...have no idea what this mean.

I'm on version 03/2019.46 now not sure how current this is.

I would like to get Driver assist view in the instrument cluster.
Car can literally self drive in traffic jam situations, however I cannot get this to replace map in the center:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #28
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
I went to BMW.com software update, loaded my VIN and got message that all soft updates are automatic...have no idea what this mean.

Car can literally self drive in traffic jam situations, however I cannot get this to replace map in the center:
I am on software version 11/2019. You need to have driving assistance plus package on the car. I got this and lane change assist coded on my car.
Attached Images

Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #29
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Hitman,

I have S5AU Driver Assistance Pro and S5DN Parking Assistance System Plus.

But I defenitely do not have menus in your picture, I guess my soft version is pretty dated, but when I try search for updates on the BMW.com or remote from the car, nothing comes up
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #30
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I am on March 2020 and I had to reset iDrive and log back in to unlock the new features like steering wheel heating rules.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 04:30 AM   #31
Bimmer_73NL
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks Hitman,

I have S5AU Driver Assistance Pro and S5DN Parking Assistance System Plus.

But I defenitely do not have menus in your picture, I guess my soft version is pretty dated, but when I try search for updates on the BMW.com or remote from the car, nothing comes up
It's reported that despite what BMW is saying, remote software updates on iDrive7 haven't worked so far for many people.
To get the latest software version (03.2020.40 at the moment), you likely need to bring it to your BMW dealer/ service point.
If you are reluctant to do so, it's worth a try to do a reset as suggested by ashokgadeking to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:43 AM   #32
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
It's a pretty common practice not to update all users at once. BMW handles updates by countries / VIN numbers.

Updating users in groups allows BMW to:
1. Save server resources (too many users downloading update at once could overload them)
2. Back out update in case of failure reports from the field.

I guess you just have to wait for BMW putting your VIN on their whitelist for 2020/11.70 remote update.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #33
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Public service announcement y'all.

OTA update almost done downloading as we speak. My car is a May build 2019. Update is for 11.2019.70. Finally USA getting update. I was on July 2019 firmware so this is welcome.😀
Poochie9104.50
      06-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #34
LegalDrugDealer
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Public service announcement y'all.

OTA update almost done downloading as we speak. My car is a May build 2019. Update is for 11.2019.70. Finally USA getting update. I was on July 2019 firmware so this is welcome.😀
Just installed the update as well. Same version as you.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      06-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #35
TheGrok
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:

In order to get the assisted driving view you need a car built after July 2019. See here:
How to use the New Assisted Driving View in your BMW – BMW How-To

If you don't you will need to code it. I have a car made in May 2019 and I am on 03.2020 software and assisted driving view did not show up in iDrive without coding.

To get automatic lane change like here you need to code it:
How to change lanes automatically – BMW How-To

I have coded both on mine and I have the menus showed above and both work great.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2020, 11:41 PM   #36
BEK46
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330 x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrok View Post
Quote:

In order to get the assisted driving view you need a car built after July 2019. See here:

If you don't you will need to code it. I have a car made in May 2019 and I am on 03.2020 software and assisted driving view did not show up in iDrive without coding.

I have coded both on mine and I have the menus showed above and both work great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrok View Post
Quote:

Does anyone know why US dealers cannot/will not provide these features for pre July 19 cars? I have an 03/19 built car and I was told they would not be available when I updated to 04.2020.40 but they will NOT tell me why; they only state the "pre-07/19" build requirement. I have also gotten zero responses from multiple calls to BMW USA. Since it can be coded it must not be a hardware issue. These features were detailed in the literature that was available when I ordered my car and as I cannot get them it seems like a clear case of false advertising. Has anyone gotten any acceptable answer as to why early builds can't access these features? Since I did pay for all the requisite options I wonder if there is any legal recourse.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:59 PM   #37
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEK46 View Post
Does anyone know why US dealers cannot/will not provide these features for pre July 19 cars?
It's kind of feature that may require official approval (homologation), at least in some countries. It's strictly related to driving safety after all.

Since your car was homologation approved without it, BMW may not be allowed to add this feature for it (depending on country anyway - but it may be also some BMW global policy).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #38
BEK46
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWagonFan View Post
Quote:
Does anyone know why US dealers cannot/will not provide these features for pre July 19 cars?
It's kind of feature that may require official approval (homologation), at least in some countries. It's strictly related to driving safety after all.

Since your car was homologation approved without it, BMW may not be allowed to add this feature for it (depending on country anyway - but it may be also some BMW global policy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWagonFan View Post
Quote:

Homologation sounds plausible but only up to a point. If post 07/19 cars are retrofitted with these features and earlier models not, it stands to reason that SOMETHING changed after that date that precludes these (and what other) features. If whatever did change after 07/19 did in fact require another homologation, I can't see how software updates to existing feature capabilities would be the cause without including the pre models especially given there were no hardware changes. Exactly WHAT changed after 07/19 and is there anything owners should be aware of? These questions are relevant whether or not homologation is the issue. We deserve to know WHAT changed after 07/19 that is preventing early buyers from access to features we paid for and were tacitly promised via advertising and available literature.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #39
iPetey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
So i got my car in july 19. Had it serviced recently, and it was "updated". First night i decided to take it for a drive, while listening to bt audio apple music/spotify, the center console/cluster all kept restarting, i had to stop listening to bluetooth and use sirius or fm. This stopped the next time i drove the car, so far so good.

I now, cant have weather on my front screen/shortcut. I cant find spotify to login to it in the media section. My auto-start was disabled, more an inconvenience but had i not checked the settings i might have spent another trip to the dealer.

Also, maybe its my imagination but i feel like the car doesn't backfire/pop as loud as it used to? Someone give me some input on this one, as I saw others mention this but now that it happened to me i'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #40
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Homologation sounds plausible but only up to a point. If post 07/19 cars are retrofitted with these features and earlier models not, it stands to reason that SOMETHING changed after that date that precludes these (and what other) features. If whatever did change after 07/19 did in fact require another homologation, I can't see how software updates to existing feature capabilities would be the cause without including the pre models especially given there were no hardware changes. Exactly WHAT changed after 07/19 and is there anything owners should be aware of? These questions are relevant whether or not homologation is the issue. We deserve to know WHAT changed after 07/19 that is preventing early buyers from access to features we paid for and were tacitly promised via advertising and available literature.
If Assistant Driving View (as a concept or described features) is part of the homologation for post-7/2019 cars, but not for pre-7/2019 cars, that'd be a reason not to update the older cars.

I see two other possible reasons:

1. BMW's lawyers are way more conservative than Tesla's (which apparently constantly changes their car OS for (also) safety-relevant features) and generally don't allow any safety-relevant changes to cars after they left the factory.

2. BMW (sales) somehow thinks it's a smart move to sell cars "as advertised" and not add value to them after the sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #41
BEK46
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
If Assistant Driving View (as a concept or described features) is part of the homologation for post-7/2019 cars, but not for pre-7/2019 cars, that'd be a reason not to update the older cars.

1. BMW's lawyers are way more conservative than Tesla's (which apparently constantly changes their car OS for (also) safety-relevant features) and generally don't allow any safety-relevant changes to cars after they left the factory.

2. BMW (sales) somehow thinks it's a smart move to sell cars "as advertised" and not add value to them after the sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:

But that's my point. These features WERE advertised in the available literature at the time. As for the 1st premise , since they did retrofit post 07/20 cars after they left the factory, and there do not appear to be any hardware issues, what changed?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #42
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Sorry but new to BMW in general, updates must be performed by the dealer? Updates are not OTA, pushed to vehicle via wireless?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #43
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Sorry but new to BMW in general, updates must be performed by the dealer? Updates are not OTA, pushed to vehicle via wireless?
At the moment it's a mixed bag.

BMW has just recently started rolling out OTA updates to people in the US. They have been doing a slow rollout overseas for the past few months.

There is no info on how many updates they are pushing or how far down the line you are. Also the OTA update is only for the current version - 1 so with 3/2020 being the current version the OTA will only update to 11/2019.

If you want to get updated to the latest as soon as possible, you can bypass the OTA and have the dealer update you.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #44
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally took a car for some recalls and got soft update to 30.2020.40 version.
the only change is that all apps disappeared

BMW suggested to reset iDrive by pressing volume button for 70 seconds while engine running, so far no effect.

Does anybody had this issue and how it was resolved?
Appreciate 0