Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications B46 Res delete worth it? Sound clips?

04-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
Jtw318
Private
Rep
Drives: Possibly G20 330i Xdrive

B46 Res delete worth it? Sound clips?

anyone have any before and after clips of a stock exhaust with a res delete?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:22 PM   #2
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtw318 View Post
anyone have any before and after clips of a stock exhaust with a res delete?
Sounds good, unfortunately the resonator is connected to the secondary cat, both will have to go.

It will sound better (Pops are really apparent, very rarely do you get those small ugly sounding pops) but you are dealing with bad smell in the cabin every time the wind starts blowing the wrong way.

If you want no smell in the cabin whatsoever, don't do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #3
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Sounds good, unfortunately the resonator is connected to the secondary cat, both will have to go.

It will sound better (Pops are really apparent, very rarely do you get those small ugly sounding pops) but you are dealing with bad smell in the cabin every time the wind starts blowing the wrong way.

Does it throw a CEL by any chance? Also I've heard if you botch the job and damage the O2 sensor, it could send your car into limp mode. Do you know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 04:48 AM   #4
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Quote:

Does it throw a CEL by any chance? Also I've heard if you botch the job and damage the O2 sensor, it could send your car into limp mode. Do you know anything about this?
Go to a proper exhaust shop that knows what they are doing and they won't botch the job, when I went in to a shop to get it done, they didn't notify me of anything of the sort. You just need to find someone that knows what they are doing.

Chances are, a place with around 4-5 employees working on the same shift, that exclusively commits to exhaust work for a variety of cars on a daily basis, is your best bet.

I wouldn't trust a place that only does exhaust work on occasion, or only has 1-2 mechanics specializing in exhaust work that they have to "call in". They most likely haven't seen enough cars to know how to properly weld/cut so that problems don't occur later down the line.

I've gone to a number of exhaust shops and can say that there are shops that charge a premium for exhaust work, but don't even have close to as much knowledge on exhaust systems as a place that works through 20+ different cars a day and charge bare minimum budget pricing.

From my experience, the places that charged me double to triple the price of the budget shops gave me more problems long-term, than a cheaper shop that has way more employees and experience (So they can group & discuss what the best solution is). They are the shops that generally work on any car, on walk-in basis, from exhaust leaks to exhaust modifications.

Just my $0.02, but these cheaper, quicker, budget exhaust shops are probably your best bet for good work, and don't break your wallet. They might feel more shady, but are definitely way more professional than souped up shops that charge you way more and make you believe it's quality when in reality you are getting scammed.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:59 AM   #5
EFH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 g20

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 01:55 AM   #6
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Quote:

Go to a proper exhaust shop that knows what they are doing and they won't botch the job, when I went in to a shop to get it done, they didn't notify me of anything of the sort. You just need to find someone that knows what they are doing.

Chances are, a place with around 4-5 employees working on the same shift, that exclusively commits to exhaust work for a variety of cars on a daily basis, is your best bet.

I wouldn't trust a place that only does exhaust work on occasion, or only has 1-2 mechanics specializing in exhaust work that they have to "call in". They most likely haven't seen enough cars to know how to properly weld/cut so that problems don't occur later down the line.

I've gone to a number of exhaust shops and can say that there are shops that charge a premium for exhaust work, but don't even have close to as much knowledge on exhaust systems as a place that works through 20+ different cars a day and charge bare minimum budget pricing.

From my experience, the places that charged me double to triple the price of the budget shops gave me more problems long-term, than a cheaper shop that has way more employees and experience (So they can group & discuss what the best solution is). They are the shops that generally work on any car, on walk-in basis, from exhaust leaks to exhaust modifications.

Just my $0.02, but these cheaper, quicker, budget exhaust shops are probably your best bet for good work, and don't break your wallet. They might feel more shady, but are definitely way more professional than souped up shops that charge you way more and make you believe it's quality when in reality you are getting scammed.
That is the truth !! First hand experience today went to a souped up shop that tried to charge me 150 for inspection cuz I had tints lmao, went to a local cheaper shop and got it done for $10 !
Appreciate 0