Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Petition for non-geographic BMWCCA X Chapter

View Poll Results: What's your BMWCCA status and your thoughts on a new "X Chapter"
I am a current BMWCCA member and I'm all for a non-geogrpahic "X Chapter" 8 42.11%
I am a current BMWCCA member and I'm against a non-geogrpahic "X Chapter" 5 26.32%
I am not a current BMWCCA member and couldn't care less about a new "X Chapter" 3 15.79%
I am not a current BMWCCA member but would now consider joining if they had an "X Chapter" 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

05-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
Petition for non-geographic BMWCCA X Chapter

Not sure any of you were aware of this petition; I just heard about it today:

https://bimmerlife.com/2020/05/04/almost-there-x-chapter-petition-update/

I'm the treasurer of our local chapter, and also a member of the 1st non-geographic chapter, the E31 chapter. I just sold my last 8 series, so I guess I'm fine with joining another non-geographic chapter.

They just need 50 more signatures from BMWCCA members.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15561.50
      05-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Against it (No poll function on App).

BMWCCA member since 2003.

I simply can't imagine why X needs its own chapter. Seems rather silly as they are rather common. Unlike say a E21 or the MZ3 coupe

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

I simply can't imagine why X needs its own chapter. Seems rather silly as they are rather common. Unlike say a E21 or the MZ3 coupe
Having attended the National Chapter Congress in Dallas last November, I don't think this is about the superfluous addition of a new, 'non-special' chapter, but instead about the addition of new membership. The last few years have been pretty tough financially, and the BMWCCA is exploring new ways to bring in fresh demographics (such as X SUV/SAV owners). The bi-annual lifestyle magazine 'BimmerLife' is another example of this.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      05-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
It is hard to think that X owners are real car enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
It is hard to think that X owners are real car enthusiasts.
You know, you're probably right in the majority of cases... but just think of all the actual BMW enthusiasts who also have an X car in their fleet. In some cases, they may be as passionate about their Estoril Blue E53 X5 4.6is as their E30 M3. And if I was able to afford a 2020 X3M/X4M Competition for $92K, I sure hope most guys at cars 'n coffee would consider me a car enthusiast. And if not, that's fine too. Bottom line, not all "X" purchases are pure grocery getters. With the ridiculous sales volume of the X SUV/SAC's over the last 20 years, even if the club brought in 0.001% of those owners, it would be a sizeable augmentation to the membership.

BTW, here's my online garage from over the last 10 years...Please let me know if you don't think I'm a car enthusiast who also happens to currently own an X4 M40i, two previous E53 X5's, and my wife's X1.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/bp...rage&id=147119
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
You know, you're probably right in the majority of cases... but just think of all the actual BMW enthusiasts who also have an X car in their fleet. In some cases, they may be as passionate about their Estoril Blue E53 X5 4.6is as their E30 M3. And if I was able to afford a 2020 X3M/X4M Competition for $92K, I sure hope most guys at cars 'n coffee would consider me a car enthusiast. And if not, that's fine too. Bottom line, not all "X" purchases are pure grocery getters. With the ridiculous sales volume of the X SUV/SAC's over the last 20 years, even if the club brought in 0.001% of those owners, it would be a sizeable augmentation to the membership.

BTW, here's my online garage from over the last 10 years...Please let me know if you don't think I'm a car enthusiast who also happens to currently own an X4 M40i, two previous E53 X5's, and my wife's X1.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/bp...rage&id=147119
I didn’t say that an enthusiast can’t own an SUV. My point was if you only own an SUV you are probably not a car enthusiast. No pun intended but an X is not a car.

Also an aside, how many Xs do you see at a BMWCCA track day?
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      05-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

Having attended the National Chapter Congress in Dallas last November, I don't think this is about the superfluous addition of a new, 'non-special' chapter, but instead about the addition of new membership. The last few years have been pretty tough financially, and the BMWCCA is exploring new ways to bring in fresh demographics (such as X SUV/SAV owners). The bi-annual lifestyle magazine 'BimmerLife' is another example of this.
I think it would make sense IF BMW SAV owners were off-roaders rather than serial leasees.

Doesn't Jeep have an unofficial off-road Wrangler club or something? What about Land Rover?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
I didn’t say that an enthusiast can’t own an SUV. My point was if you only own an SUV you are probably not a car enthusiast. No pun intended but an X is not a car.

While most chapters don't allow SUVs for HPDEs, quite a few have started to allow BMW X vehicles on track. If you look in the paddock, there are plenty of BMWs towing track cars. Also, non-enthusiasts can always get into cars and/or BMWs by hanging around other enthusiasts, hence a reason to have an X chapter.

With more than half of BMWs in the US sold being X vehicles, this new chapter is a big opportunity to gain members that may not like to hang with traditional BMW enthusiasts (you know, the ones who don't like SUVs lol).

Plus, just go to the top of the page and click on any of the X vehicle forums, some are more active than ones dedicated to cars.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15561.50
      05-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

If people want an X chapter then more power to them.

This club is about sharing our love for all things BMW. If a new chapter brings more people together online or in whatever way enriches them then I'm all for it.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15561.50
      05-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Haven't done a BMWCCA event, but I've done around a dozen NASA events.

That said, I own an E84 X1 which is far and away the least "X" of all the X models. Even BMW puts the X1 in the passenger car group instead of the light truck group when reporting sales

Personally though, I see no reason or benefit of having a separate X Chapter, but then do I really own an "X"???

Last edited by bucketfoot; 05-06-2020 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

I went to multiple CNC over the years and don't remember seeing X model enthusiast. However, I did see one Tesla SUV nut. I think folks that buy them as their only vehicle are not emotionally attached to the brand but rather look for what fits their lifestyle at the time and lease pmt.

On the other hand, car enthusiasts may have X model as a dd or their SO may drive one but they also have something they love in the garage, be it P, F, Aston etc.

This is just based on my observation.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      05-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Damn, some of you guys are snobs. Ask pseto about X enthusiasts. I know him from maybe 15 years ago on a forum that was dedicated to Xs starting with the E53.

You've never seen a more passionate group. We had meets all over the country. I attended FL, CA, DC, NC, NJ and organized one in CT probably 6 years in a row.

Anyone here ever driven the X5///M or X6///M? And as far as those who say if you only have an X, you're not an enthusiast? What if you only have one vehicle and want the best of both worlds? The performance and the AWD and ground clearance needed for snowy regions.

Petition signed.

Carry on.