Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications [B46] Bootmod3 Stage 1 w/ 93 Octane on G20 First Impressions

05-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #177
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokhan54 View Post
Don't you access BM3 through their desktop software to install the tune?
I had to access it through Google chrome. The desktop software didnt let me choose maps and stuff. It just showed that the car was connected and stuff.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #178
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
I'm using Windows and I did not have to disable firewalls or any other software. BM3 accessed via Chrome.
Don't you access BM3 through their desktop software to install the tune?
It's simultaneous, you run the desktop client and the website at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:29 AM   #179
mokhan54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

OK! The new cable worked! I got the more expensive one the first time but it backfired, lol.

Anyways, first impression! - WOW! What a difference.

I flashed the OTS Stage 1 93 Octane.

No traction issues whatsoever. Traction light never went off and I was flooring it.

I haven't played with any settings besides setting the burble aggression to 5.5 (recommend 5.6 by PTF). My car is completely stock.

I don't know if I haven't driven the car enough or what, but I don't feel like the kick in the first gear. I feel it later on in like 3rd gear.

What do you guys think the 0-60 and quarter mile is?

Any way to track these numbers on via BM3 data log? I'm new to this tuning stuff so any advise on making adjustments is much appreciated.

Can I adjust the cold start on the car? Somehow make it more aggressive?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #180
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

What’s interesting is you have a 2020 and were able to do it. VipinLJ had trouble flashing BM3. Congrats to you though!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #181
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK! The new cable worked! I got the more expensive one the first time but it backfired, lol.

Anyways, first impression! - WOW! What a difference.

I flashed the OTS Stage 1 93 Octane.

No traction issues whatsoever. Traction light never went off and I was flooring it.

I haven't played with any settings besides setting the burble aggression to 5.5 (recommend 5.6 by PTF). My car is completely stock.

I don't know if I haven't driven the car enough or what, but I don't feel like the kick in the first gear. I feel it later on in like 3rd gear.

What do you guys think the 0-60 and quarter mile is?

Any way to track these numbers on via BM3 data log? I'm new to this tuning stuff so any advise on making adjustments is much appreciated.

Can I adjust the cold start on the car? Somehow make it more aggressive?
Congratulations! Tunes make the car livelier. If you have an obdlink dongle, you can download the software from playstore and get a rough idea of 0-60 and quarter mile and stuff. It won't be accurate like a dragy but it can be good for a before and after comparison.
Also, any idea when your car was manufactured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
What’s interesting is you have a 2020 and were able to do it. VipinLJ had trouble flashing BM3. Congrats to you though!
Yup. I had th issue because my car was manufactured in 08/19 and had the newer software. Earlier 2020s had the older software and can be flashed. I also know of someone in the UK who had an older software and had BM3 installed and had taken his car in for a recall wherein they flashed the newer software and he couldn't reflash his car with BM3. He bought a JB4 instead and is happy with his car.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc233.00
      05-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #182
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Congratulations! Tunes make the car livelier. If you have an obdlink dongle, you can download the software from playstore and get a rough idea of 0-60 and quarter mile and stuff. It won't be accurate like a dragy but it can be good for a before and after comparison.

Yup. I had th issue because my car was manufactured in 08/19 and had the newer software. Earlier 2020s had the older software and can be flashed. I also know of someone in the UK who had an older software and had BM3 installed and had taken his car in for a recall wherein they flashed the newer software and he couldn't reflash his car with BM3. He bought a JB4 instead and is happy with his car.
Wow so even if it’s installed, and your dealer updates your Idrive software it will Undo your BM3 flash? That sucks. Wonder what happens when (if) they get OTA updates working.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #183
mokhan54
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I actually wasn't aware of this being an issue until after the fact. Glad it worked for me. My car was manufactured in 09/2019. Hopefully its not an issue in the future.

Another thought, the first gear pull isn't as quick as I was expecting.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #184
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow so even if it’s installed, and your dealer updates your Idrive software it will Undo your BM3 flash? That sucks. Wonder what happens when (if) they get OTA updates working.
Not sure if an idrive update alone would matter. I think they updated his DME with the newer software as well. But yes. His DME was reflashed and he lost the ability to flash his car.

Quote:
I actually wasn't aware of this being an issue until after the fact. Glad it worked for me. My car was manufactured in 09/2019. Hopefully its not an issue in the future.

09/2019 is newer than mine. Wonder how you were able to get your car flashed and I couldn't. Lucky you Did the flashing process go without hiccups?

And first gear pull being not as quick. Is that your butt Dyno saying so? Or did you use some software to get numbers? Also, any idea how much boost the BM3 map produces?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #185
mokhan54
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if an idrive update alone would matter. I think they updated his DME with the newer software as well. But yes. His DME was reflashed and he lost the ability to flash his car.

09/2019 is newer than mine. Wonder how you were able to get your car flashed and I couldn't. Lucky you Did the flashing process go without hiccups?

And first gear pull being not as quick. Is that your butt Dyno saying so? Or did you use some software to get numbers? Also, any idea how much boost the BM3 map produces?
Flashed very smoothly, no issues.

I'm only speaking from my driving experience. I haven't really looked at any numbers yet. I'm new to this tuning stuff so not sure where to look.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #186
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's very interesting, I think maybe you had a faulty cable when you ran yours? Anyhow if it is working for 09/2019 then it should have no problem working on any cars manufactured before that. There's no way BMW decided it was nice to put in that safety stuff and then take it out all of a sudden.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #187
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
That's very interesting, I think maybe you had a faulty cable when you ran yours? Anyhow if it is working for 09/2019 then it should have no problem working on any cars manufactured before that. There's no way BMW decided it was nice to put in that safety stuff and then take it out all of a sudden.
If my cable was faulty, I think I shouldn't have been able to access the software and stuff in the first place? I could access and do everything. Except that towards the end, it said flashing was successful but coding wasn't applied. I googled that and found someone in the UK with an M2 who had the EXACT same issues with the software and his car and he had to ask PTF to remote login and fix his car. And they said that that happened because his car had the updated software. So I assumed it was the same with mine. I tried four times and same problem. So stopped then.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #188
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
If my cable was faulty, I think I shouldn't have been able to access the software and stuff in the first place? I could access and do everything. Except that towards the end, it said flashing was successful but coding wasn't applied. I googled that and found someone in the UK with an M2 who had the EXACT same issues with the software and his car and he had to ask PTF to remote login and fix his car. And they said that that happened because his car had the updated software. So I assumed it was the same with mine. I tried four times and same problem. So stopped then.
Yeah I understand, it's just interesting how some cars can be unlocked and others cannot. Guessing it's different for certain regions or something along those lines, where the DME remains unchanged regardless of software date.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #189
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I understand, it's just interesting how some cars can be unlocked and others cannot. Guessing it's different for certain regions or something along those lines, where the DME remains unchanged regardless of software date.
Possibly. But he is based in Florida. Which makes it interesting.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #190
mokhan54
Enlisted Member
Rep

0-60 and quartermile

So I was testing the 0-60 on my Stage 1 330.

I've read across the forums that the BM3 stage 1 should put 0-60 at around 4.7s.

I did about 5 runs with my friend in the car running a stopwatch.

The best time I got was 5.45.

Traction wasn't an issue, first gear pull isn't as quick as I expected, like I mentioned in my first post, then car really takes off in 2nd/3rd.

I haven't tested quarter-mile

BMW claims stock: 0-60 time 5.5s and quarter-mile 14s.

what do you guys think? Has anyone else tested?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #191
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I've read across the forums that the BM3 stage 1 should put 0-60 at around 4.7s.

Traction wasn't an issue, first gear pull isn't as quick as I expected, like I mentioned in my first post, then car really takes off in 2nd/3rd.

There’s a lot of scope for errors if you have someone else work a stop watch for you and you call out start and stop orders aa slightly better way would be to get a speedometer recording and use a software to go frame by frame to find out a rough 0-60 time. Not accurate at all but yes.
The best way would be, of course, to get a dragy box or Vbox or some official timing gear. Those are very accurate.
The BMW ECU speed (not what is shown on the speedometer) is very accurate (at least in my car). The ECU speed reads 2MPH less than the speedometer reading in my car and it’s exact all the time I’ve tested it.

Did you contact PTF regarding your 1st gear issue? What did they say? 5.45s is real slow for a tune. A stock car should do those times I believe.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #192
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

There’s a lot of scope for errors if you have someone else work a stop watch for you and you call out start and stop orders aa slightly better way would be to get a speedometer recording and use a software to go frame by frame to find out a rough 0-60 time. Not accurate at all but yes.
The best way would be, of course, to get a dragy box or Vbox or some official timing gear. Those are very accurate.
The BMW ECU speed (not what is shown on the speedometer) is very accurate (at least in my car). The ECU speed reads 2MPH less than the speedometer reading in my car and it’s exact all the time I’ve tested it.

Did you contact PTF regarding your 1st gear issue? What did they say? 5.45s is real slow for a tune. A stock car should do those times I believe.
No, that sounds about right actually. Your car needs to be in a lot of certain circumstances to pull off a 4.7, or in my case probably a low 4 second 0-100kph. 5.4s in Stage 1 with a stop watch and probably human error with pedal control and the environmental factor, how damp or dry the air is, the temperature, the quality of the roads, how warmed up the car is, it all factors in to whether the car is capable of running the best time. 5.4s sounds to me like no launch control, or launch control in less than ideal road conditions, a stopwatch timer and a car that isn't fully warmed up.

Our cars are rated at 5.6s stock, but I believe that means 6-7s in real time, when you're just driving locally without the tires, engine and everything fully warm. I believe my car is much faster after I fully warm up my tires and engine after doing a long run on the highway, and then when I exit the highway onto local roads, the car feels much quicker and throttle is much more responsive than if I didn't warm my car up on the highway.

Best timer is never a stop watch but a dragy. The next best thing is an OBDII lap timer, but that's still not as good IMO as a dragy.
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc233.00
      06-03-2020, 06:42 AM   #193
Rastlein
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Hi

I am going to flash to a stage1 and now I have version 07/2019.75.

OTA updates are appearing in my country to go to version 11/2019.70. If I update, will I have any problems flashing due to any anti-tuning measures? If I update after flashing, do I lose the reprogramming?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #194
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastlein View Post
Hi

I am going to flash to a stage1 and now I have version 07/2019.75.

OTA updates are appearing in my country to go to version 11/2019.70. If I update, will I have any problems flashing due to any anti-tuning measures? If I update after flashing, do I lose the reprogramming?

Thank you!
Idrive updates shouldn't matter. When you take your car in to the dealer, they'll flash your DME. That's when you'll have issues.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 04:30 AM   #195
Rastlein
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

OTA updates do overwrite the DME. Before, I had loaded the 330i engine map in my 320i and when I went from the version of iDrive 03/2019 to 07/2019 via OTA, I lost it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #196
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

I'm looking at purchasing bootmod3 for my 2020 320i

Car was produced in Feb 2020 so I'm aware the DME will be locked. Reading about bootmod3 it seems to able to get around this for my car.

One question I have is: When I take the car to the dealer for a service, I expect they'll likely reflash the ECU. Can I simply take the car home and reflash with bootmod3 to my chosen map? Or is it a one time flash?
Appreciate 1
Dawko192.50
      06-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #197
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastlein View Post
OTA updates do overwrite the DME. Before, I had loaded the 330i engine map in my 320i and when I went from the version of iDrive 03/2019 to 07/2019 via OTA, I lost it.
How did you loaded the 330i map?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #198
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing bootmod3 for my 2020 320i

Car was produced in Feb 2020 so I'm aware the DME will be locked. Reading about bootmod3 it seems to able to get around this for my car.

One question I have is: When I take the car to the dealer for a service, I expect they'll likely reflash the ECU. Can I simply take the car home and reflash with bootmod3 to my chosen map? Or is it a one time flash?
I'll be following this

You should be able to easily flash back to stock and again to the stg1 tune afterwards. Just keep in mind that it will still be able to be noticed by BMW should there be any warranty related issues.
Appreciate 0