Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i fake zorst pipes - cover up option?

03-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

M340i fake zorst pipes - cover up option?

So it's been a month into M340i ownership (and about 200 miles thanks to d'virus) and there are 2 things I really don't like:

1) The sound system. Don't get me wrong, the HK system is great, it's just that it drowns out the pops and bangs. Kids want to listen to Crab Rave (don't ask), and I want to time my pops and bangs to annoy pedestrians. Nightmare, but not important right now.

2) The fake exhaust tips.

I see there are full-on after market options available to replace the OEM pipes with quad pipes and what not (for many £ thousands), but my question is, I hope, quite simple:

Anyone tried to cosmetically improve the gaping... gap... that lies between the exhaust pipe and that monster oval tip? I think the main issue is the amount of daylight between the exhaust pipe and those oval surrounds. The bright silver heat resistant material on display doesn't exactly help.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  219.8 KB

I understand that exhaust pipes move under load and the cosmetic oval surrounds don't 'cos they are part of the bodywork. As such, there has to be some kind of gap to prevent contact, but it's a heck of a gap. You could drive a bus through there - if you had a bus (?)

I have no intention of buying after market exhaust parts, but am pretty close to buying some aluminium cooker hood ducting and a rattle can of high temperature black paint.

Anyone found a better way?
      03-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

M340i fake zorst pipes - cover up option?

The sound system is good for what it is. But I agree that the exhaust is somewhat muted. Especially after watching countless YouTube videos comparing it to the C43 before deciding to buy the car.

The outlets aren't "fake" like some cars, although they aren't much better. Not sure on a cosmetic fix. Been casually looking at aftermarket exhaust for more sound and they seem to be £2k upwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:23 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post

I see there are full-on after market options available to replace the OEM pipes with quad pipes and what not (for many £ thousands), but my question is, I hope, quite simple:

Anyone tried to cosmetically improve the gaping... gap... that lies between the exhaust pipe and that monster oval tip? I think the main issue is the amount of daylight between the exhaust pipe and those oval surrounds. The bright silver heat resistant material on display doesn't exactly help.

Attachment 2272523

I understand that exhaust pipes move under load and the cosmetic oval surrounds don't 'cos they are part of the bodywork. As such, there has to be some kind of gap to prevent contact, but it's a heck of a gap. You could drive a bus through there - if you had a bus (?)

I have no intention of buying after market exhaust parts, but am pretty close to buying some aluminium cooker hood ducting and a rattle can of high temperature black paint.

Cheapest option would be to spray whatever's showing up in the gap - some sort of heatshield judging by yr photos - HT black paint to disguse the gap more perhaps ???

HTH,

BP
      04-01-2020, 05:57 AM   #4
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Why do people call these (and similar examples on other models) "fake"? They're not fake! What exactly are they supposed to be faking anyway? They're a design feature around the bottom rear of the car where the exhausts are. The exhuast emits the gases through it, but it's very much a design feature and the motivation is to make the rear of the car look better/more interesting/sportier.

Whether they do that to the ACTUAL exhaust tip (complicated and much more expensive) or the rear of the car (makes much more sense), what difference does it make?

This is one of the few exahusts that can be legitimately called "fake".

Audi S6 diesel with a trim that is clearly designed to look like the real exhaust pipes while the ACTUAL exhaust pipes are elsewhere.

Also, the Lexus IS-F is partly fake. If it just had one chrome trim then it wouldn't be, but the addition of a second one makes it a bit questionable.

However, the following do NOT have "fake" exhaust pipes...

Mercedes-AMG GT

BMW X5

BMW M340i

Porsche 911 GT2 RS

Ferrari California

Mercedes-Benz C-Class. It's just a design feature.

Even my very own R8 V10 has this below, which is NOT fake. The oval chrome trim is a design feature.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Son in laws GLC43 (and before that a C43 coupe) has fake exhausts much like the Audi pictured - 4 round exhaust pipe looking items but the exhaust exiting elsewhere....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

And such a give away when the car is emitting water vapour only out of one or from under the car! Quite why Audi and Mercedes do it when there are two exhausts there anyway seems mad?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
And such a give away when the car is emitting water vapour only out of one or from under the car! Quite why Audi and Mercedes do it when there are two exhausts there anyway seems mad?
Suspect it is easier and cheaper to stick plastic styling parts than real exhaust parts....

Obsession with exhaust pipes is beyond me. Used to have a Golf GTi with wheelbarrow twin outlets which looked good to me, the R with its oversized 4 (of which two didnt get dirty as they were hardly ever used) just looked crap to me.

I think my current car can get away with 4 pipes - 1 litre and 2 cylinders per outlet seems ok.....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Without wanting to get into whether fumes come out of it or not, it's fake because the bodywork is designed to look like an exhaust tip, but isn't.

They did a proper job on the X3 M40i:

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  109.0 KB

Compared to the M340i:

Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  117.9 KB

Just niggles me that there is a big oval 'exhaust' tip sitting there with an ickle pipe hiding (not too well) inside it. Seems cheap if BMW obviously have a solution readily available.
blaz21.50
      04-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Agree it looks like an after thought on the m340. I loved the wheel barrows on my 340 and had the left flap constantly open as it was unplugged so had vapour and soot on both sides.

It's a shame they made the wheel barrows standard on the lower performance models and stuck these blatantly fake tips on the range topper. Yes I class them as fake even if they do actually work as part of the exhaust.

Not that we can get it in the uk but cant remember if the mpe for the m340 addresses it. Aftermarket will likely be the only option but bound to be expensive.

While I'm moaning what's with the ride height as well, the newer xdrive setup was supposed to cure the off road look of the f series xdrive!
Appreciate 1
Karl V100.50
      04-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I think I have found a solution...

Should be within my budget too ;-)

Views: 2321
Size:  150.2 KB
      04-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #11
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Agree it looks like an after thought on the m340. I loved the wheel barrows on my 340 and had the left flap constantly open as it was unplugged so had vapour and soot on both sides.

It's a shame they made the wheel barrows standard on the lower performance models and stuck these blatantly fake tips on the range topper. Yes I class them as fake even if they do actually work as part of the exhaust.

Not that we can get it in the uk but cant remember if the mpe for the m340 addresses it. Aftermarket will likely be the only option but bound to be expensive.

While I'm moaning what's with the ride height as well, the newer xdrive setup was supposed to cure the off road look of the f series xdrive!
ACS springs would solve that, they seem to be the only thing that's actually "cheap". Pedal set from them at £171 isn't too bad until you realise that you would need to get the footrest aswell at £205.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanli722 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post

ACS springs would solve that, they seem to be the only thing that's actually "cheap". Pedal set from them at £171 isn't too bad until you realise that you would need to get the footrest aswell at £205.
Yes acs springs were common on xdrive f series due to wallowing and high tide height. Still it's a shame a 3er bmw needs them though, especially in an mlite.

As for 171 for some pedals no thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
So it's been a month into M340i ownership (and about 200 miles thanks to d'virus) and there are 2 things I really don't like:

1) The sound system. Don't get me wrong, the HK system is great, it's just that it drowns out the pops and bangs. Kids want to listen to Crab Rave (don't ask), and I want to time my pops and bangs to annoy pedestrians. Nightmare, but not important right now.

Attachment 2272523

Trade it in for a 330i........
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Karl V100.50
      04-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #14
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Option B???

Views: 2150
Size:  218.0 KB
hamera441.50
Seaford1124.00
OM3RTA391.00
      04-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Quote:

Attachment 2272523

Trade it in for a 330i........
Wheel barrow thief!
Appreciate 2
Seaford1124.00
Karl V100.50
      04-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #16
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Also, the Lexus IS-F is partly fake. If it just had one chrome trim then it wouldn't be, but the addition of a second one makes it a bit questionable.
Small correction, the Lexus IS-F does have quad exhausts, so its the same as the other cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #17
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Small correction, the Lexus IS-F does have quad exhausts, so its the same as the other cars.
You're right. I wonder which one I was thinking of then.
Appreciate 0