Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Anyone received a new car during lockdown?

04-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Jezzofdoom
JOD1984
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d F16

Anyone received a new car during lockdown?

Hi all,

I have an M340i on order originally due for delivery in mid May....I can't get hold of the dealership at all, have tried calling, social media etc but nothing. Totally understandable - but I need to voluntarily terminate my current agreement and swap cherished plates.

Just wondering if new cars are being distributed or stored until we're allowed out again.

Cheers
Jezz
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
shahh
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzofdoom View Post
Hi all,

I have an M340i on order originally due for delivery in mid May....I can't get hold of the dealership at all, have tried calling, social media etc but nothing. Totally understandable - but I need to voluntarily terminate my current agreement and swap cherished plates.

Just wondering if new cars are being distributed or stored until we're allowed out again.

Cheers
Jezz
Dealerships in Michigan have started operations from mid-April and are delivering vehicles to the client's homes and to the paperwork online or in person while delivering. Seems like the governor's order does not allow client foot-traffic in the sales department of the dealerships. Hence, the home delivery service.

I was contacted by my dealership that my M340xi would be delivered sometime this week. I am waiting for their follow up call to get the specifics on the delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers
Jezz
Seeing as dealerships are closed, your new car won’t be pdi’d, registered and that’s if it’s even at the dealer already.

I’d work on June for delivery, if it’s earlier then great. Your plate can be done online and is instant, not sure your VT can be dealt with because BMW Financial office is closed but some are working from home.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:38 AM   #4
lloydster82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport plus edition

I was massively lucky. Car was not due until May. Got a call from lease company saying it had arrived for delivery (end March). Guy that delivered it had travelled from London to deliver and said I was lucky as all his others had just been cancelled that morning. My old car was due to be collected same day by Lex and they never showed. Again, the same day their drivers were taken off the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #5
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Seeing as dealerships are closed, your new car won’t be pdi’d, registered and that’s if it’s even at the dealer already.

I’d work on June for delivery, if it’s earlier then great. Your plate can be done online and is instant, not sure your VT can be dealt with because BMW Financial office is closed but some are working from home.
Not BMW but VW financial services are working from home. I VTd my agreement 2 days before lockdown (luckily) but corresponded with them last week re insurance as they have not collected the car yet. Took 3 or 4 days to get a reply which is entirely understandable. I guess BMW will be the same. They won’t have shut down completely. Good luck.

Just need the BMW factory to reopen so mine can get built!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

"Just need the BMW factory to reopen so mine can get built!"

Second that! Some factories are reopening in Germany not sure which ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:20 AM   #7
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
"Just need the BMW factory to reopen so mine can get built!"

Second that! Some factories are reopening in Germany not sure which ones.
I think 30th April is the magic date ( but that was delayed from the 19th so let’s see!!)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #8
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers
Jezz
My G21 M340i was due for delivery at the end of March but that was postponed due to the coronavirus lockdown (with the car being stored at the Thorne distribution centre).The revised delivery date was 30th April but that has also been postponed following the extension of the lockdown; it sounds like BMW are hoping their distribution centres will be up and running again around the middle of May but that obviously depends on no further extension. I don't expect to see my car much before the end of next month...

ETA: If your car was originally due for delivery in mid-May are you sure it's actually been built? That sort of delivery date would normally imply a late April or possibly even very early May build in which case it may not have happened due to the factory closure; if you've got the order number perhaps worth contacting the online genius (if they're working!) to check the production status?

Last edited by JNW1; 04-21-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
My G21 M340i was due for delivery at the end of March but that was postponed due to the coronavirus lockdown (with the car being stored at the Thorne distribution centre).The revised delivery date was 30th April but that has also been postponed following the extension of the lockdown; it sounds like BMW are hoping their distribution centres will be up and running again around the middle of May but that obviously depends on no further extension. I don't expect to see my car much before the end of next month...

ETA: If your car was originally due for delivery in mid-May are you sure it's actually been built? That sort of delivery date would normally imply a late April or possibly even very early May build in which case it may not have happened due to the factory closure; if you've got the order number perhaps worth contacting the online genius (if they're working!) to check the production status?
Re online Genius - they are working but all factory builds I believe have been unscheduled til they reopen so they might not be able to see your order at all!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Re online Genius - they are working but all factory builds I believe have been unscheduled til they reopen so they might not be able to see your order at all!
The more I think about it the more I think the OP's car won't have been built yet. For a mid-May delivery it would ordinarily be going into production about now but the factory's still closed and when it reopens there will presumably be a backlog to catch-up on; therefore, it could easily be June before the car's built in which case a July delivery might be more likely?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
Saleshark
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G22 430i

Checked my Wife's order on online genius and its says order isn't scheduled at present. He said no production until 30th April at present. Originally was schedule for 4th May
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
Jezzofdoom
JOD1984
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d F16

I got hold of them today. It hasn't been built and is "not scheduled" status. Said I'd be lucky for end June. But there will be a backlog, a backlog of getting it on a ferry and then a backlog getting it delivered!!!! Tough times
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I work for a German company, I was talking about the restart of Germany on Monday with a colleague in Germany. He told me they are working on 80% of normal working time contracts.

Its a ruling from the government. So it means a 4 day working week instead of 5. As most factories in Germany are monitored by works councils they will follow the government order. It was done in the last recession also to help keep businesses afloat.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 02:03 AM   #14
shakey707
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G22 M440i Xdrive

I was about to take delivery of my 330e M Sport (M Sport +, Premium & HK) in Mineral Grey on 7th April, but lock down happened.
So car is sitting at Partridge BMW, Hampshire.
To add salt to the wound I’m still having to pay company car tax on my outgoing 430i Gran Coupe, about £250 more per month than the 330e, which is gathering dust on my drive.(a first world problem I know in the current climate)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:55 AM   #15
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey707 View Post
I was about to take delivery of my 330e M Sport (M Sport +, Premium & HK) in Mineral Grey on 7th April, but lock down happened.
To add salt to the wound I'm still having to pay company car tax on my outgoing 430i Gran Coupe, about £250 more per month than the 330e, which is gathering dust on my drive.(a first world problem I know in the current climate)
My G21 M340i was due to be delivered on 31/3 but now most likely late May at best. I believe mine is still sat at a delivery centre so not even at the dealership. It'll feel even better when it does arrive, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 04:29 AM   #16
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I got hold of them today. It hasn't been built and is "not scheduled" status. Said I'd be lucky for end June. But there will be a backlog, a backlog of getting it on a ferry and then a backlog getting it delivered!!!! Tough times
Any idea of when they will advise rescheduling? When was yours due to be built pre lockdown? Mine was due for build this week!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I understand the backlog on production but I'm not sure why there would be one on ferries and deliveries in the UK? Once the lockdown is lifted there'll be some cars in the system that have been built already - and need shipping and/or delivering - but even so I'd have thought the distribution end will have slack in it and won't get back to capacity until production restarts and cars begin to come through again?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
lloydster82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport plus edition

Quote:
To add salt to the wound I’m still having to pay company car tax on my outgoing 430i Gran Coupe, about £250 more per month than the 330e, which is gathering dust on my drive.(a first world problem I know in the current climate)
I live in North but that is the very dealer I had mine from!
I feel your pain having happily ditched a 330d in favour of the 330e and saved a few hundred in tax and fuel at a much needed time!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #19
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Quote:
I understand the backlog on production but I'm not sure why there would be one on ferries and deliveries in the UK? Once the lockdown is lifted there'll be some cars in the system that have been built already - and need shipping and/or delivering - but even so I'd have thought the distribution end will have slack in it and won't get back to capacity until production restarts and cars begin to come through again?
I’d guess at the logistics of cold starting everything up again. Full capacity on ferries night we’ll depend on where ferries currently are and what if any routes they are currently using. I’m guessing dealerships may also use contractors for some tasks so again logistics of returning to normal may take longer than we might imagine is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #20
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
Quote:
I’d guess at the logistics of cold starting everything up again. Full capacity on ferries night we’ll depend on where ferries currently are and what if any routes they are currently using. I’m guessing dealerships may also use contractors for some tasks so again logistics of returning to normal may take longer than we might imagine is reasonable.
Perhaps. I suppose there's also a likelihood the factory in Germany will reopen and start producing cars before there's any easing of the lockdown restrictions in the UK in which case that could lead to a load of cars sitting at Cuxhaven and/or Bremerhaven awaiting despatch to the UK.

However, sort of on topic, an e-mail's just landed in my inbox which states the following:

A spokesperson for the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy has just issued an official statement to Car Dealer Magazine (a trade publication) confirming car dealerships can sell and deliver vehicles during lockdown. The official statement said:

“We have asked non-essential shops like car dealerships and showrooms in England to close, unless they provide urgent car repairs and other necessary services.

They are all able to continue to sell cars remotely and deliver cars, as long as they follow our clear guidance from Public Health England to protect both employees who cannot work from home and their customers.”

Therefore, if I read this correctly, there's no reason why anyone awaiting delivery of a car that's already built and in the UK shouldn't be able to receive it? Whether you need it given the current lockdown is another matter entirely but assuming the above's correct there doesn't appear to be anything stopping the dealer from delivering it.
Appreciate 1
B6WAF77.50
      04-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #21
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Quote:
I'm in exactly the same position as you, 330e in Mineral Grey same options too (plus laser lights) sat at a closed BMW dealership which was due for delivery on 7th April.

Also paying a lot more tax on my 2016 320d which I can't get rid of as Lex aren't collecting either.

Frustrating but not a lot we can do.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #22
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Mine G21 M340i is sitting at Thorne I believe. Delivery was 30th March. I terminated my 535d and BCA never turned up to get it so I am having to use it as still have to do some key work.

Do they leave the plastic protection on them at Thorne? Mine was booked for a ceramic coat on delivery at a detailer as it is black sapphire! There is also the issue of the car tax going up by around £750 on April 1st. Small issue in comparison I know but a pain!!!
Appreciate 0