Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Anyone received a new car during lockdown?

04-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #23
Jezzofdoom
JOD1984
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d F16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzofdoom View Post
I got hold of them today. It hasn't been built and is "not scheduled" status. Said I'd be lucky for end June. But there will be a backlog, a backlog
of getting it on a ferry and then a backlog getting it delivered!!!! Tough times
Any idea of when they will advise rescheduling? When was yours due to be built pre lockdown? Mine was due for build this week!!!
I believe it was due to be built this week too.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #24
Jezzofdoom
JOD1984
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d F16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzofdoom View Post
I got hold of them today. It hasn't been built and is "not scheduled" status. Said I'd be lucky for end June. But there will be a backlog, a backlog of getting it on a ferry and then a backlog getting it delivered!!!! Tough times
I understand the backlog on production but I'm not sure why there would be one on ferries and deliveries in the UK? Once the lockdown is lifted there'll be some cars in the system that have been built already - and need shipping and/or delivering - but even so I'd have thought the distribution end will have slack in it and won't get back to capacity until production restarts and cars begin to come through again?
That was more of my thoughts. Once things do get going again, companies will all be scrambling for spaces on ferries so it could bring further delay....I hope not!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:28 AM   #25
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
Mine G21 M340i is sitting at Thorne I believe. Delivery was 30th March. I terminated my 535d and BCA never turned up to get it so I am having to use it as still have to do some key work.

Do they leave the plastic protection on them at Thorne? Mine was booked for a ceramic coat on delivery at a detailer as it is black sapphire! There is also the issue of the car tax going up by around £750 on April 1st. Small issue in comparison I know but a pain!!!
Why would your car at Thorne? They don’t even get PDI’d at the dealers now, it’s done at Southampton.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:56 AM   #26
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
Mine G21 M340i is sitting at Thorne I believe. Delivery was 30th March. I terminated my 535d and BCA never turned up to get it so I am having to use it as still have to do some key work.

Do they leave the plastic protection on them at Thorne? Mine was booked for a ceramic coat on delivery at a detailer as it is black sapphire! There is also the issue of the car tax going up by around £750 on April 1st. Small issue in comparison I know but a pain!!!
Why would your car at Thorne? They don’t even get PDI’d at the dealers now, it’s done at Southampton.
I think the distribution centre at Thorne performs a similar function to the one at Southampton; they certainly do PDI's and I believe my car's also sitting there and will be delivered direct to me from Thorne when it reopens.

Generally I think cars destined for dealers in the South go to Southampton and those for the North go to Thorne via Immingham. However, I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on that and hence even though you're using a dealer in the South your car could be shipped to Immingham with the dealer then receiving the car from Thorne rather than Southampton.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #27
lloydster82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport plus edition

https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-dea...s-again/n21343

Just seen this on an email from Whatcar....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #28
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydster82 View Post
https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-dea...s-again/n21343

Just seen this on an email from Whatcar....
That's been doing the rounds but it only really helps if your car has already been received by a dealer - if it's at one of BMW's distribution centres (i.e. Thorne or Southampton) the dealer/customer still isn't going to get it until BMW get those centres operational again. However, from what I hear that's targeted to happen in mid-May so fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #29
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

I emailed my dealer today for an update and they indicated that he had seen this note from the government and that they are trying to get things arranged as soon as they can. They had previously stated that car deliveries weren't included in what could be delivered so this is different news. They have delivery companies and others to work with so probably not straight forward but at least it's looking a bit more promising. The delivery will be direct from Thorne or Southampton, wherever it is. I'm still thinking mid to late May at best though. Mine will be in the first batch re arranged apparently.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      04-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #30
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
I emailed my dealer today for an update and they indicated that he had seen this note from the government and that they are trying to get things arranged as soon as they can. They had previously stated that car deliveries weren't included in what could be delivered so this is different news. They have delivery companies and others to work with so probably not straight forward but at least it's looking a bit more promising. The delivery will be direct from Thorne or Southampton, wherever it is. I'm still thinking mid to late May at best though. Mine will be in the first batch re arranged apparently.
Interesting! Sounds like they're now intending to get the distribution centres operational again sooner than the mid-May they've been talking about recently?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:44 AM   #31
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting! Sounds like they're now intending to get the distribution centres operational again sooner than the mid-May they've been talking about recently?
He didn't talk dates but this was part of his reply

'There is definitely appetite to get things rolling with new restrictions on how the delivery will be executed to the customer' he then talked about doing things as quickly as possible as it's in everyone's Interest.
Getting the systems in place with delivery companies may take some time though I guess
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #32
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:

'There is definitely appetite to get things rolling with new restrictions on how the delivery will be executed to the customer' he then talked about doing things as quickly as possible as it's in everyone's Interest.
Getting the systems in place with delivery companies may take some time though I guess
Exchanged e-mails with my contact at the dealer this morning and the following is an extract from his reply:

"I know that the logistics company have furloughed most staff and they are not due to return until the second week of May. They may be able to get things moving for the end of May but that could be touch and go".

I think the change as a result of the government announcement might therefore be that some logistics staff return to work at the end of their current furlough period rather than it being extended further. However, I don't get the impression BMW are looking to shorten the current furlough period and get people back to work earlier than planned; therefore, from our perspective probably nothing much has changed - might get our cars by the end of May but certainly no guarantee!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #33
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Exchanged e-mails with my contact at the dealer this morning and the following is an extract from his reply:

"I know that the logistics company have furloughed most staff and they are not due to return until the second week of May. They may be able to get things moving for the end of May but that could be touch and go".

I think the change as a result of the government announcement might therefore be that some logistics staff return to work at the end of their current furlough period rather than it being extended further. However, I don't get the impression BMW are looking to shorten the current furlough period and get people back to work earlier than planned; therefore, from our perspective probably nothing much has changed - might get our cars by the end of May but certainly no guarantee!
I think this is probably what he was alluding to regarding the transportation.
The positive for me is that things look likely to get going as opposed to further delays Some BMW staff, including non management, are still working at my dealership so hopefully even with limited staff they can arrange the deliveries/register cars without new orders coming in. I'm still thinking and hoping for late May.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #34
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know for sure my car is at Thorne, it could be at Southampton as my dealer is in the South? My sales guy wasn't sure when he left work on furlough. It was scheduled for a transporter to him the day of the lockdown sadly. Furloughed staff have to be paid by the company rather than the Government if they work so I am sure the logistics companies won't rush!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #35
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Hi all any of you guys/gals seen this?
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...ver-cars-again
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #36
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
Hi all any of you guys/gals seen this?
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...ver-cars-again
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #37
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
I did read it - If more articles are appearing in press must mean good news is coming...
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #38
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

Mine at Thorne also. Was due to receive it on 30/3. Contact at BMW has seen all the articles mentioned, but they're at the mercy of staff getting back to Thorne and then delivering. Mine is coming direct to me (not via dealer).

Wonder how long they will sit there before the battery is knackered etc. Be putting it straight on the CTEK when it does arrive...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #39
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Just read Munich factory (where G20 is built I think) not reopening until after May 18th!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #40
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

That wouldnt surprise me Bmwnewbie2. Demand is massively down and will remain so for a while, I can see the admin aspect of BMW getting upto speed quiclkly to shift stock they have already to get some revenue in. Factory orders would then start being built a few week after the admin side. To be fair most of the factories have taken this opportunity to carry out upgrades, so it could be that the upgrades could be taking longer than anticipated.

Im hoping things start getting better soon so Lex can sort my order out!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #41
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
That wouldnt surprise me Bmwnewbie2. Demand is massively down and will remain so for a while, I can see the admin aspect of BMW getting upto speed quiclkly to shift stock they have already to get some revenue in. Factory orders would then start being built a few week after the admin side. To be fair most of the factories have taken this opportunity to carry out upgrades, so it could be that the upgrades could be taking longer than anticipated.

Im hoping things start getting better soon so Lex can sort my order out!
I agree re lex sorting things out. Mine has been on order since 25th November and now not due til end August!!!! Don’t think it is Lex fault tho’!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:57 AM   #42
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Mine has been on order since 25th November and now not due til end August!!!!
Why such a long wait - I'd have thought a current production model ordered in November last year should have been built and delivered well before the coronavirus lockdown started?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #43
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Why such a long wait - I'd have thought a current production model ordered in November last year should have been built and delivered well before the coronavirus lockdown started?
No idea. And now not scheduled at all for production. It is a 330e which do have longer lead in times I believe.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:18 AM   #44
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No idea. And now not scheduled at all for production. It is a 330e which do have longer lead in times I believe.
Blimey, that's one serious wait! I've always been quoted 8 to 12 weeks on a factory order on a new BMW and delivery has tended to be if anything at the shorter end of that timescale. My G21 would have been 10 weeks from order to delivery had coronavirus not thrown a spanner in the works....
Appreciate 0