Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Digital key access

05-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #23
kingblackstarr
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Samsung Galaxy S20 Digital Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
I got a Samsung S20 and its incompatible, so the 'newer' part does not really apply
Have you spoken to the dealership about this to make sure it's actually not compatible? I'm looking to upgrade from my S8 but the ability to maintain the digital key function for my m340 is heavily influencing my next phone choice. The S20 Ultra was obviously the top of my list.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #24
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Just a thought. Until I got my car, I never used NFC so this function was off. Now I have turned it on all the time -- so yhe capital outlined N appears on when I pull down my S8's function "shade."

I say this not to insult anyone, but to point the same error I initially did because according to Samsung S20 has NFC

Again, just a thought-- FWIW

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #25
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackstarr View Post
Have you spoken to the dealership about this to make sure it's actually not compatible? I'm looking to upgrade from my S8 but the ability to maintain the digital key function for my m340 is heavily influencing my next phone choice. The S20 Ultra was obviously the top of my list.
I have raised it to them and waiting for a response but ain't too hopefully since they are not on top of the technology issue.
Here s a comment from a G05 X5 owner

From the BMW ConnectedDrive Tech support team:
“I have learned that there are some issues with the S20 models which are under investigation at BMW and Samsung.
Additionally, there is also an issue within the app where it displays the compatibility screen multiple times. This issue is also under investigation.
There is not an ETA provided by BMW or Samsung regarding this so I we will just have to wait for the resolution. “

I am sure they will fix it just do not know when
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #26
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Just a thought. Until I got my car, I never used NFC so this function was off. Now I have turned it on all the time -- so yhe capital outlined N appears on when I pull down my S8's function "shade."

I say this not to insult anyone, but to point the same error I initially did because according to Samsung S20 has NFC

Again, just a thought-- FWIW
The app makes you enable it first before checks compatibility, in case you happen to have it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #27
jav_ski
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_ski View Post
Hmm well if you need comfort access to have the card, why not just leave the key in your pocket and touch the door with your finger. Rather than all the messing around with a card. I would rather pay for the activity band if it was available for the g20 than have a card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's just the convenience of only having to carry around the card vs your key chain.
I like the option for when I don't want to have to carry my key fob. Going to bars, concerts (especially with all the security screening now), etc.

I just tested my Digital Key Card in my wallet and I was able to unlock and lock my door and start my car too without taking it out. The card was in the outermost part of the leather bill fold part of my wallet. I faced that side to the door handle and NFC tray. It's nice to know I don't have to take it out each time if I want to use that as my key. I don't know if it made a difference but I had hardly any money in it. BMWFS takes it all!
Hmmm that's interesting, might have to do a few tests with it in various guises... when I order the M340i, once the lockdown is over.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #28
kingblackstarr
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
I have raised it to them and waiting for a response but ain't too hopefully since they are not on top of the technology issue.
Here s a comment from a G05 X5 owner

From the BMW ConnectedDrive Tech support team:
“I have learned that there are some issues with the S20 models which are under investigation at BMW and Samsung.
Additionally, there is also an issue within the app where it displays the compatibility screen multiple times. This issue is also under investigation.
There is not an ETA provided by BMW or Samsung regarding this so I we will just have to wait for the resolution. “

I am sure they will fix it just do not know when
Well, that's disheartening, thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #29
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I am indeed able to use my Digital Key whilst it is in my wallet. (Leather wallet with card in outermost part in billfold part.) I touch to unlock and lock the door, and place the wallet in the NFC tray with the card down. It's definitely more convenient than having to take it in and out of my wallet when I choose to use the card instead of my fob.

But... it doesn't recognize my profile like my primary key fob does. Is there a way to personalize the Digital Key card so I don't have to select me as the user and enter my PIN?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #30
murderedg20
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
I am indeed able to use my Digital Key whilst it is in my wallet. (Leather wallet with card in outermost part in billfold part.) I touch to unlock and lock the door, and place the wallet in the NFC tray with the card down. It's definitely more convenient than having to take it in and out of my wallet when I choose to use the card instead of my fob.

But... it doesn't recognize my profile like my primary key fob does. Is there a way to personalize the Digital Key card so I don't have to select me as the user and enter my PIN?
Yeah go to driver profiles and on the right go to driver recognition and click digital key that should make the nfc card link to your profile (I'm pretty sure it did for me)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #31
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachart View Post
Yeah go to driver profiles and on the right go to driver recognition and click digital key that should make the nfc card link to your profile (I'm pretty sure it did for me)
Thank you! Got it set. I didn’t even think to do that. Duh!
Appreciate 0