Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics New software downloaded, when will it begin installing?

03-14-2022, 04:17 AM   #67
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

I'd get at least the 10AMP ctek, they have a supply mode for coding / programming as well
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 01:28 PM   #68
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonRage View Post
I’ve done numerous longer drives and still haven’t got it to install. Haven’t got a battery charger either - sadly.
on the other thread someone said they got the battery warrantied (replaced) at the dealer for this very reason, and then it updated.

hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #69
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
I'd get at least the 10AMP ctek, they have a supply mode for coding / programming as well
for those wondering you don't need more than the 5 amp Ctek for a car battery. the higher the amp when you charge the more destructive for the battery, though if you have a BMW money is not a problem.

just FYI.

(there is a formula somewhere and i did some math a while ago)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #70
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
for those wondering you don't need more than the 5 amp Ctek for a car battery. the higher the amp when you charge the more destructive for the battery, though if you have a BMW money is not a problem.

just FYI.

(there is a formula somewhere and i did some math a while ago)
It won't charge any faster, that wasn't the point I was making. If you're programming your car for example, the power draw can quite easily shoot up to over 20A . A 5 amp charger isn't sufficient to keep that open and you might find ista crashing mid way through.

With the 10A charger , I've done numerous flashes without kiddies . After the session ( up to 2 hours ) the battery has dropped no more than 5%
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #71
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

ah my bad oops
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 05:18 PM   #72
darkesha
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 2020

Mine isn’t updating to .80 yet.
Had the posted charger on for a day or two but nothing yet.
At least the car now wants to remote start (and other advanced features that had stopped working).
I will leave it charging for a week but if it doesn’t update after - I will take it to the dealer.
I also noticed it would start after shutting down on a random click (wheel left for example, or while holding brake and pressing gas). Its not consistent so I can not prove it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #73
Bkeller90
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20)

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Was there any success after the battery charge to start the installation process?

I tried charging my vehicle (2019 330i) with the ctek mxs 5 and reached stage 7. No prompt for installation has appeared. I’ve also had a few road trips since the charge (500+ miles). No resolve.

Currently stuck on the “you will be notified when the upgrade can be installed…”

Might hookup to the charger again and leave for a few days. It reached staged 7 within 5 hours so I assumed it was fully charged.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 03:15 AM   #74
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeller90 View Post
Was there any success after the battery charge to start the installation process?

I tried charging my vehicle (2019 330i) with the ctek mxs 5 and reached stage 7. No prompt for installation has appeared. I’ve also had a few road trips since the charge (500+ miles). No resolve.

Currently stuck on the “you will be notified when the upgrade can be installed…”

Might hookup to the charger again and leave for a few days. It reached staged 7 within 5 hours so I assumed it was fully charged.
In that case, only the dealer can perform the update manually. Had the same issue with my 2019 330i as well. Explanation was that my car skipped a version and was stuck.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 04:08 AM   #75
Gladius Nova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20

Garage List
  [0.00]
Have the same "preparation....." message also for 1 week also. This is for 11/2022.60
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 09:08 PM   #76
Bkeller90
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20)

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
In that case, only the dealer can perform the update manually. Had the same issue with my 2019 330i as well. Explanation was that my car skipped a version and was stuck.
Well that’s annoying… thanks for the response! Will try to leave the car charging for longer to see if anything changes. Dealers are the worst to work with because everything has a price tag! Hopefully BMW comes up with a fix soon…
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 12:31 PM   #77
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeller90 View Post

Are you me?

This was the exact situation I faced. I thought I made this post lol

My car refused to update. And now app says it has expired.
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
Jbrock22221.50
      06-27-2023, 12:47 AM   #78
NinjaPower
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 xDrive50i

Hmm... I’m also waiting to be notified with my X7 for about 10 days now.

After reading this forum, I ordered a CTEK MXS 5.0.
It was of course lost in transit, but while waiting for it to arrive, one day I was in the mood for some (very) sporty driving. Didn’t think about the update, but when I got home, iDrive said that I can install after the engine cools down, in about 30 mins. i did not check back in 30.

The next day, back to “You will be notified” ...
Finally, my charger arrived about 4 days ago. It spent a lot of time on stage 2 and 3. Of course, we had plans for both Saturday and Sunday so I was not able to let it go to stage 7.

However, today I woke up and it was finally at stage 7. I get in, go to Settings -> Remote Software Update and still “You will be notified...”
At this point, the hood was open and the charger still connected. I thought maybe that’s the issue (the hood perhaps counts as a door) so I disconnected the charger, closed the hood. Still the same.

I went for a quick drive then at home, again “You will be notified...”.

I plugged it it again, it went through stages 1 and 2 in a few minutes, then it spent a few hours in stage 3 and now it is at stage 7. Going down in a bit to see if I can get it installed finally.

I don’t know if I’m missing any steps, or the battery was/is in just a bad shape... I’ve seen the message ready to install after engine cools down 3 times now but then it was gone.

We’ll see this time...

Last edited by NinjaPower; 06-27-2023 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 03:10 AM   #79
NinjaPower
Rep

So... after being fully charged now the second time according to the ctek charger, I get in (closed the hood, parking brakes on, lights off, all windows and doors fully shut and in a level garage (736 ft above sea level ), nothing has changed.
I rebooted iDrive both with 30 sec volume hold and 70 sec volume hold, started the engine, stopped the engine repeated these steps.

Nothing seems to work. One additional thing I will try is park outside the garage, although the one time I've seen it pop up, I was in the garage.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2023, 06:35 PM   #80
Synaptic_Jack
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430xi Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPower View Post
So... after being fully charged now the second time according to the ctek charger, I get in (closed the hood, parking brakes on, lights off, all windows and doors fully shut and in a level garage (736 ft above sea level ), nothing has changed.
I rebooted iDrive both with 30 sec volume hold and 70 sec volume hold, started the engine, stopped the engine repeated these steps.

Nothing seems to work. One additional thing I will try is park outside the garage, although the one time I've seen it pop up, I was in the garage.

Appreciate all these updates, I’ve yet to see an indication for an update to mys system yet, but seeing all the hoops you’re jumping through makes me think I’d rather just skip them entirely or wait until my next service appointment and let BMW finesse it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 03:56 AM   #81
Gladius Nova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20

Garage List
  [0.00]
Yeah. My last update has been downloaded for about 2 weeks now and hasn't installed yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 01:11 PM   #82
ibmwg20
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330xi

Software Update

My never installed either. Brought to the dealer and they installed the update. Mechanic indicated that make sure you have all items unplugged. Phone chargers, usb, etc. This can prevent install due to small battery usage.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 12:15 AM   #83
NinjaPower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmwg20 View Post
My never installed either. Brought to the dealer and they installed the update. Mechanic indicated that make sure you have all items unplugged. Phone chargers, usb, etc. This can prevent install due to small battery usage.
That’s a good tip.

Here is my recent update:
Based on some thoughts shared here about how the battery gets charged, I went for a drive and coasted a lot, used the paddle shifters and engine braking. When I got home, I got the message that the update will be ready to install after the engine cools down, approx. 30 mins.
I waited 30 mins and then got in the car went to the Remote Software Update menu point and message was gone . I started the car and stopped it, but the ready to install message was no longer there.

I repeated the whole process and same thing happened. By the time the engine cools down, the message is gone.

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, or if there is something up with the battery and it only has enough power so that by the time the fan cools the engine, it’s not enough to start the install…

It’s back on the ctek charger now. Once at stage 7, I will start it up, then shut it down before the engine is at operating temperature. Not sure what else I could do.

For those who ended up installing eventually… did you ever get the “wait until the engine is cool” message? Did you wait it out?

I also noticed that, while on the cteck charger and I unlock the car, it goes back to stage 3. Is that normal?

Last edited by NinjaPower; 06-30-2023 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 08:48 AM   #84
StunnedMonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Mine has never installed either. It's been stuck on the "You will be notified..." message for weeks. I considered that it could be a battery charge issue as in the summer I drive my convertible on nice days so the BMW sits around a lot. But we recently took the BMW on a trip and I put 2000 miles on it within a week and the upgrade still doesn't continue.

Oh well. It doesn't seem like this upgrade adds anything of substance anyway.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2023, 07:32 PM   #85
sandinheart
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I'm having a similar situation with my 340. I'm on 07/2021.55 upgrading to 03/2023.67. The update expired last month, then I downloaded it again, it never offered me to install.

After seeing many of you had success with the MXS 5.0, I bought one myself and it got to stage 7 on AGM mode in 4 hours today. Got in the car with it hooked up, hood closed, no upgrade. Went for a 6km drive, parked in the garage, still not upgrading, not even telling me to cool down.

Going to keep charging for longer to see if anything changes. Or maybe there is no cell signal in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:28 PM   #86
kiwirick
Old Fella
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

My first OTA update in 2020 worked fine. That was when the upgrade process was first to download the update from MyBMW app to a USB stick, then insert the USB stick in the car and copy and install the release. After that, the process changed to use your phone, and it never worked for me since then. Downloaded to car OK but never started the actual install, and eventually expired. At my recent service I asked for this to be investigated and they also upgraded me to 11/2023.29. They gave me a copy of the upgrade log, below.

The suggested problem was that the car wasn't level so the software couldn't install. This is nonsense - my garage is level and the car has been parked level many times. Anyway, at least I'm up on the latest release. I will wait and see what happens with the next release.

Name:  Upgrade Log 11-2023.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  164.4 KB:

Current : 2019 M340i xDrive, Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:31 AM   #87
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirick View Post
My first OTA update in 2020 worked fine. That was when the upgrade process was first to download the update from MyBMW app to a USB stick, then insert the USB stick in the car and copy and install the release. After that, the process changed to use your phone, and it never worked for me since then. Downloaded to car OK but never started the actual install, and eventually expired. At my recent service I asked for this to be investigated and they also upgraded me to 11/2023.29. They gave me a copy of the upgrade log, below.

The suggested problem was that the car wasn't level so the software couldn't install. This is nonsense - my garage is level and the car has been parked level many times. Anyway, at least I'm up on the latest release. I will wait and see what happens with the next release.
Attachment 3325111:
That will have been the current gradient read out while it was plugged into ISTA at the dealership I should imagine (though i wouldn't expect such a gradient....)
Appreciate 1