2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Trickle Charge

05-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #45
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
The CTEK (as you know) will let you know if all is good with the battery.....

Hope you get your car soon. At least you can go out for a drive!
Thanks. Hadn't had the need to use it as yet - but assumed it would have something to tell you it's screwed ;-)

Yes, looking forward to popping out for my daily exercise, thinking Land's End would be a good place to start
Appreciate 1
Karl V100.50
      06-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #46
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Hi guys, I'd like to charge my battery using CTEK charger, but I'm not sure where the negative terminal is located under the bonnet. According to my manual there is a designated place for a negative cable (green circle), buy it looks like it's noting there. Ot at least it doesn't stand out in any way.

Where did you connect the negative cable? The yellow circle perhaps? Looks likely to me, but I won't try if I am not sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #47
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Yeah, the yellow circle is the ground point and what I use.
      06-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #48
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Hi guys, I'd like to charge my battery using CTEK charger, but I'm not sure where the negative terminal is located under the bonnet. According to my manual there is a designated place for a negative cable (green circle), buy it looks like it's noting there. Ot at least it doesn't stand out in any way.

Where did you connect the negative cable? The yellow circle perhaps? Looks likely to me, but I won't try if I am not sure.
Yep, where you marked with the yellow circle is what I used..... although anywhere on the chassis would do....

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #49
newway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by am549 View Post
Any recommendations on a charger? My 330i has been coming up with the dreaded low battery message (comfort access no longer works now as a result). The Ctek mentioned looks a bit overkill (and expensive) for me with just the one car to keep topped up before can get out again
I used an Einhell battery charger to keep my 320i charged during the lockdown, it costs less than £30 depends on which ampere output model.

For trickle charger I believe CTEK is overkill, but CTEK is an 'all-round' solution, it is smart to know when to provide higher current/voltage and when to stop, and possibly recover a dead battery. so if you aren't price-sensitive go for it.

If all you want is a 'top up' trickle charger then there are much more (cheaper) choices, I recommend those with no more than 3A current output and no more than 14V peak voltage since AMG batteries are more sensitive (overheat etc) to high current. If you plan to keep the charger connected for a prolonged period, get a smart one (microprocessor controlled), it will switch to a very low <1A current once fully charged.

Just beware, it will take a long time to charge. e.g. BMW battery is typically ~90Ah, if your charger outputs 2A, it will take approx. 90/2 = 45 hours.
to charge full.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #50
am549
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Plus

Finally got round to sorting one out. Battery notification went away for a couple of weeks but came back again over the weekend and got annoyed with stop start never working so went and bought the CTEK recommended here. Arrived today and after digging this post out to see where the negative terminal was (shoddy instructions!) it's currently on charge. 2 hours in and currently on the bulk stage in AGM mode. Hoping it'll be more or less sorted before nip out tonight.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #51
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
I used an Einhell battery charger to keep my 320i charged during the lockdown, it costs less than £30 depends on which ampere output model.

For trickle charger I believe CTEK is overkill, but CTEK is an 'all-round' solution, it is smart to know when to provide higher current/voltage and when to stop, and possibly recover a dead battery. so if you aren't price-sensitive go for it.

If all you want is a 'top up' trickle charger then there are much more (cheaper) choices, I recommend those with no more than 3A current output and no more than 14V peak voltage since AMG batteries are more sensitive (overheat etc) to high current. If you plan to keep the charger connected for a prolonged period, get a smart one (microprocessor controlled), it will switch to a very low <1A current once fully charged.

Just beware, it will take a long time to charge. e.g. BMW battery is typically ~90Ah, if your charger outputs 2A, it will take approx. 90/2 = 45 hours.
to charge full.
AGM mode uses a higher voltage than the normal car battery mode. CTEK charges an AGM up to 14.7 volts at 5A.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:31 AM   #52
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I had a longish run on Sunday and my Start/Stop started working again for a couple of days then stopped. So decided to put the battery on charge last night. After 4 hours the CTEK had it fully charged and then I did the software update to 11/2019.70. My first OTA update.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R

Last edited by Tam the Bam; 07-23-2020 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #53
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
My 330i is now plugged in for 10 hours and still at step 4. I’m using the official BMW (CTEK) charger. Hope it’s completed tomorrow morning. Looks like a full charge was really needed.
I'm around 8hrs just now and at the same stage
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:37 AM   #54
Jtcrow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Discharging every 6-8 weeks

Just wondering you guys are experiencing the similar frustration of having to fully charge from 'low battery' every couple of months? I do drive a little (probably 30-40 miles/week school run's etc), but in the current lockdown of course, she does not get a proper run.

I previously took it back to BMW early on in lockdown v1 and they told me there was a discharge issue with keyless access, so they replaced the door handle. If it's common 'discharge speed' at the moment, I can deal with it, if it isn't, I need to get back on them again.

I charge it probably 12 hours at a time. By the sound of it I should be using the AGM setting on my CTEK, rather than the 'standard' mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:04 AM   #55
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtcrow View Post
Just wondering you guys are experiencing the similar frustration of having to fully charge from 'low battery' every couple of months? I do drive a little (probably 30-40 miles/week school run's etc), but in the current lockdown of course, she does not get a proper run.

I previously took it back to BMW early on in lockdown v1 and they told me there was a discharge issue with keyless access, so they replaced the door handle. If it's common 'discharge speed' at the moment, I can deal with it, if it isn't, I need to get back on them again.

I charge it probably 12 hours at a time. By the sound of it I should be using the AGM setting on my CTEK, rather than the 'standard' mode?

Yes AGM setting should be used.

My car is not being used much at present, due to restrictions, and I’ve had to charge every 4 to 6 weeks since early November..

When I eventually get a service I’m going to ask the dealer about this issue.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:31 AM   #56
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Is this down to comfort access perhaps? I don't have comfort access but I've never charged the battery and it's been fine, even with no journeys for 2 months.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #57
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

This may be all in my imagination, but during 1st lockdown I was trickle charging every 2-3 weeks or so. Over the Summer, I decided to turn off the 'unlock on approach' option just because I didn't like the idea of the car locking / unlocking as I was walking around in the garage / garden at home.

Since the kids broke up from school in December (what, about 6 weeks now?), I have used the car probably twice on small trips and the battery's showing no signs of needing a top up.

Like I say - this may all just be in my head, but thought it worth sharing just in case there is a little bit of science in there somewhere.
      02-03-2021, 06:44 AM   #58
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Mines been similar, comfort access and I have to charge the battery every 3-4 weeks when it's not used.

Do others think it's a fault?

I'd rather not approach the dealer unless I have to as they have already put me off buying another BMW ever again
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #59
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure350z View Post
Mines been similar, comfort access and I have to charge the battery every 3-4 weeks when it's not used.

Do others think it's a fault?

I'd rather not approach the dealer unless I have to as they have already put me off buying another BMW ever again
I suppose it depends on what the current draw is, when the car is asleep. Unless you get a "discharging while stopped/stationary" warning, it would appear to be within normal parameters.

My F11 (with comfort access) seems to draw more than expected. Winter time I've 'topped' the battery a couple of times, as habit. this winter with virtually no use I'm attaching the charger every couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #60
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

How much does it draw, Pete?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #61
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Having worked from home and spent a lot of time abroad since 2007 meaning the car was unused for sometimes up to 8 week, the battery drain is not a new phenomenon. On my 56 plate 330d I actually had the situation where the alarm was activated due to low battery state, requiring BMW emergency service callout. Since then i have used a maintainer on subsequent BMWs 3s, 4, X5 and not had any issues.

One issue highlighted a few posts back is that if you unlock the car before checking the maintainer status you will get the appearance of being back at stage 3 or 4. I figure this is due to current draws of the car fooling the maintainer. Generally overnight is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #62
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

It’s a poor system that doesn’t work properly without external assistance.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #63
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
How much does it draw, Pete?
I haven't made any tests, just a bit of mental math which suggests it may be more than the 20mA that my model may draw when asleep.

On a car like mine, the draw can be up to 80mA before we get a warning. I've no data to suggest what the G2x models are rated at.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #64
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
It’s a poor system that doesn’t work properly without external assistance.
Energy management has got so complex, that we can't compare to the days of old. BMW's system will protect itself from total drainage, switching off services and throwing up warnings.

Years back we'd simply get a flat battery, or if fortunate, first key sign that attention was necessary, slow cranking.

The lockdowns and colder weather show up the limitations of high energy demands, and not getting enough regular charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #65
Jtcrow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Good to know that it's not just me, thanks!

Yes, I'm sure the drain is all around the comfort access - I also turned of the 'unlock on approach' as I could hear the car unlock when I walked past the front door (car was parked about 2m away from it). But I love the keyless entry too much to turn that feature off. It's a real pity if it has been poorly developed.

Also, thanks for confirming AGM setting as I suspected. I will give it a significantly longer charge when it is dry out again.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #66
am549
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Plus

I am slightly concerned about the battery status in mine. Was in for a service last week and I mentioned about the low battery warnings to be told it was fine. Went out the other night (was bitterly cold outside), drove for about 20 mins averaging 40mph, stopped and within a minute of engine off, battery warning message and all the electronics shut off seconds later. It's back on the charger again today to see if that sorts it out. This can't be normal surely? The wife's 69 plate A class does less mileage than me currently and stop start etc. all work fine.
Appreciate 0