Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Swirl marks and smudging - what to do

04-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Swirl marks and smudging - what to do

Hi all,

Took delivery of my new M340 about 2-3 weeks before lockdown. I decided I would get some paint protection put on but rather than pay dealer, I paid a local car valet firm to do the job. They had a good reputation in my area and offered diamondbrite.

The guy came out and spent a few hours on it, unfortunately it was raining on and off that day which probably didn’t help.

Since then I’ve washed it regularly as I normally do with all megiurs kit, grit guard in bucket etc. always very careful with what I use to not scratch the paintwork.

Long story short I can see swirl marks and general smudging on the paint work - the swirl/paint marks I’m most surprised about given how new the car is. Lots of them on the bonnet. Only really visible in bright sun.

I topped it up with the diamondbrite conserved the other day which didn’t really help but I thought it would good to keep on top of it.

I’m now wondering whether the company who I had to the paint protection caused those marks or whether it was poorly prepped from new. I’ve heard that they are often poorly prepped initially so maybe they’ve been there the whole time?!

I’m tempted to phone the dealer as soon as all this is over and make a complaint about the paintwork but I’m not sure if I’ll have a leg to stand on.

Or i just pay a detailer for a proper machine polish.

Would appreciate your thoughts please?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Since you had someone work on the paint after taking delivery, I'm not sure the dealer is going to do much for you (maybe try and don't say anything?). Most likely you need to get a good paint correction done and it will look perfect. Don't pay the dealer to do it...bring it to a reputable detail shop.
      04-20-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
DaveChan64
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d m sport XDrive

Hi suggest to use a detailer , I would have thought it would take a few days to prepare and protect, even when new.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I agree with those suggesting a professional detail; swirl marks will probably need machine polishing to remove them and personally I'd only trust that to a reputable detailer as I'd want it doing properly! They will also be able to advise on what finish to apply depending on what you want (conventional wax, ceramic coat, etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

The smudge marks you describe sound like buffer trails from someone who doesn't know how to use a machine polisher....

Did the person you used to 'prep' the car machine it?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChan64 View Post
Hi suggest to use a detailer , I would have thought it would take a few days to prepare and protect, even when new.
This. My detailer took 3 full days from new to properly sort out the paint and protect. In a covered area with dust extraction etc.

Takes a day just for the ceramic to dry.
      04-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

Could have been that the paint wasn't well prepped out of the garage, and then Diamond bright over the top probably didn't help, but tough to prove to be fair... depends if your guy machine polished before applying the Diamond Bright too?
A good detailer will be able to sort it though....
Depending on what Level of correction is now needed and which LSP you go for will dictate how long it needs to be in for....
My last 'New Car Prep' the car was in for a full day to prep and Ceramic, the Koch Chemie 1K Nano cures in a couple of hours...

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:19 AM   #8
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all, decided I will take it to a detailer once lockdown is over. For now I’ll just continue my wash regime and use the diamondbrite conserver to at least protect the paintwork.

Before the diamondbrite they didn’t machine polish it. Just washed and then applied.

I’m guessing the issue is it was poorly prepped by the dealer plus being sat at the distribution centre for a while then adding the diamondbrite didn’t help as you say.

How much am I looking at do you think cost wise to get all this done?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepointalex View Post
Thanks all, decided I will take it to a detailer once lockdown is over. For now I’ll just continue my wash regime and use the diamondbrite conserver to at least protect the paintwork.

Before the diamondbrite they didn’t machine polish it. Just washed and then applied.

I’m guessing the issue is it was poorly prepped by the dealer plus being sat at the distribution centre for a while then adding the diamondbrite didn’t help as you say.

How much am I looking at do you think cost wise to get all this done?
It really depends on what level of correction is needed, and then what last step ceramic product you go for... I would say anything between £600-£1k ballpark?

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I agree with those suggesting a professional detail; swirl marks will probably need machine polishing to remove them and personally I'd only trust that to a reputable detailer as I'd want it doing properly! They will also be able to advise on what finish to apply depending on what you want (conventional wax, ceramic coat, etc).
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update on this one - at some point I will get it detailed but I thought I would have a go at it myself.

I was getting so annoyed seeing the marring and swirls in the sun.

I had some meguiars scratchx which ideally is for isolated areas but I read up about using it as a whole car polish. So the other evening after a thorough wash I applied it by hand to each panel, buffed off and then used a meguiars carnuba wax. Proper happy with the results - most if not all of the marring is gone!

I’ll probably have another go one day but this time with one of their better cutting compounds. Think I will get a machine polisher at some point too.

I realise by doing this though I’ve probably taken the diamondbrite off? So I need to think about paint protection again.

But it’s saved me a chunk of money! 👍🏻
Appreciate 0